Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,230 |  Reviews: 1,035
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Burning River pours dark golden to a light copper and is topped with a rather fluffy 1” of white head.
Smell: The aroma coming for the pint smells of citrus, grass, and pine hops, no hint of malt that I can smell.
Taste: The taste is a nice blend of hops and malt. The hops that are present by my best guess are probably Cascade mainly. This is one of the tastiest pale ale that I have had in a while.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of Burning River is just like I would expect out of a pale ale, not so thick that it makes it hard to drink but thick enough that the flavors sticks to your tongue and you can enjoy what you are drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.78/5  rDev -5%

A: Pours a clear orange/light amber color with a bubbly two-finger head that persists.

S: Toasted grains, crackers, honey, and light toffee make out the malt profile. Orange, grassy, spicy and herbal hops.

T: Honey toasted grains meet with spicy, grassy, herbal hops and they duel to see who comes out on top.

M: Light to medium body and a crisp bubbly carbonation.

D: A spicier take for a pale ale but interesting and very drinkable. This one is inviting to look at and easy going down. Could partake in a few easily.

3.61/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a clear amber color with a frothy white head that lingers long enough to appreciate it. Aroma is mild and citrusy on account of the cascade hops. Flavor is crisp and hoppy, but not overbearing. Citrus notes are present, along with lively carbonation, followed by a clean finish. Quite a palatable pale ale, which is a style I'm not especially fond of, so take my numeric rating with a grain of salt.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle into my DFH Snifter - Brand new to Centre County!

A - Pours a clear amber with a billowing off-white head. Nice retention with a sticky lace.

S - Fruity and citrusy in the nose; smells like a big hop profile for a PA

T&M - My very first thought was "yummy". I'm a bit out of practice on reviewing, but there's a healthy dose of citrusy hops here that I'm in love with. The malt bill is also substantial, and adds a breadiness that balances the hop profile. Medium body with a carbonation level that adds a slight tingle to the back of the throat.

O - I'm standing by my "yummy" comment. This is one of the better PA's that I've ever had, and may be a regular addition to my fridge.

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

A: 1/2 finger head on top of a gold-amber brew. Head dissipated quickly, but with a light cover of white the whole time.
S: Amazing.
T: Hoppy, but in the best way possible, with a slight alcohol flame for fun.
M: Full, tingles the mouth long after the sip.
O: Absolutely wonderful. A great pale ale; easily the best in my limited experience of five or so good ones

Great Lakes with another win.

4.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great Lakes continues to impress. Beautiful clear copper color with one finger white head. Smells of fruits like mango and grapefruit, very floral, and has a great balance of sweetness and the bitterness expected from a pale ale. The flavor is sweet grapefruit, medium bitter, with an interesting earthiness from the hops. Some toffee malts in the background keeping this grounded and balanced. Very nice, and similar to SN Celebration (but significantly better).

Edit: After a re-rate, I’m not as high on this one, though it’s still good. I suspect I got a bad bottle. Strangely, it tasted and smelled just like the wort I boiled a few weeks ago in my first home brew batch. Almost as if the yeast did not get all the way through this most recent batch. Essentially tasted like slightly bitter malt extract. Not what I remember from my previous experiences with this living in Michigan, as it was one of my favorites. So I downgraded to 4.1 for now (was one of my top beers before). Would like to try one more time to get things straight. Tastes change, but something was off with the most recent bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is a nice clear orange color with a great head that lingers for a long, long time. The aroma is clean smelling with a nice citrus hoppiness to it. The taste is a wonderful mixture of malty roasted flavors with a slight overshadowing of wonderful floral and citrus hops. The flavor is extremely rich and well balanced. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and light bodied. This is a wonderful pale ale that would be great at anytime of year, but especially to welcome spring and summer in. This might be my new favorite American pale ale.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.