Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale
3.94/5
Very Good
Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,249 |  Reviews: 1,039

Enjoy by 5/19/14 at 45 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of generic tropical fruits
Head average (4 cm), off white, creamy with rocks, slowly diminishing
Lacing weak with incomplete rings and stalactites
Body light orange, clear
Flavor begins with a citrusy bitterness, more like the interior white membrane than the zest. No alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl. When the flavor ends, just the bitterness remains.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

This was the first beer I had at my first beerfest and it scared me – all that hop flavor! Now, in the age of IPAs, DIPAs, triple IPAs, etc. it seems kind of weak. But it’s still a good pale ale that I pick up occasionally.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This ale is a beautiful light amber color with a puffy, but solid, white head. Nice lace. The smell is spicy with hops, but has a soft undercurrent of pale malt. Nice. The taste is clean and slightly sweet from malt. A little biscuit and a little fruit.... then the hops kick in, flavorful, juicy, bitter hops. They give a nice backbone to the beer. Full in body, with medium carbonation. This one is a treat...a solid, clean, and very drinkable east coast pale ale.

Okay, that is about all I can say about this one. I guess I am just not that impressed with this brewery. I have had some damn good beers lately and this one fell way short for me. Its an APA according to the label so one would imagine that it had a hop forward presence but like the lager it had a massive amount of malt, now I agree that malt helps to balance some beers but this one had too much, much like the lager it got better as I drank it, but I am still not a huge fan of this brewery, which based on what I have heard from friends and reviews is confounding.

Appearance: Reddish gold, typical for an APA. Not a huge amount of head and the best by date had not been reached, but I wonder if these have been killed somewhere along the way. I bought a mixed sixpack at a grocery store while on a trip, and I have kept them cold, but none of them have been all that wonderful. Although once again they are pretty beers.

Smell: Faint hops, some cloying malt component there.

Taste: Not cloying, but a lot of malt, which I don't care for. I want hops and this one is weak on that. Its just worthy of the high praise, but this is my opinion. And once again, I may have gotten a bad batch. But after drinking a lot of APA's and IPA's this one is just okay.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

A deep orange pour with a long lasting two finger head. The noise is mostly citrus with subtle grass and malt characters. Taste is well mixed with tropical, citrus and malt notes. It near a medium body with a crisp bitter finish. An overall solid pale ale that is always a good choice.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.94 out of 5 with 3,249 ratings