Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,230 |  Reviews: 1,035
4.85/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Being from Michigan, I am blessed to have some heavy hitters in the IPA realm. Traditionally, us Michiganders look down on Ohio. Not with this one! Burning River is one that I will go out of my way to find. To me, Burning River is the best APA, and is at the very least, the best in the Midwest. Burning River is a very smooth and forgiving APA. The citrus taste is pleasant, and not too overpowering. I can really enjoy a 6 pack of this beer.

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

Excellent Pale ale. My always on hand.

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

This is one of my favorites. Pours a beautiful orange/amber with a thick head and moderate carbonation. This has a nice fruity, malty sweet aroma. The hop flavor is a combination of fruitiness and citrus flavor. The bittering hops tame the malt but not in excess. The beer finishes fairly full but is not filling and is extremely drinkable.

To make this perfect, a bit more citrus than fruitiness would be nice but I wouldn't change this too much.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Got this bottle from tburkhart.

Poured into pint glass. Pours a brilliant yellow-orange with a one finger white head. Lacing is great, lasts the entire time.

Wow, is this a great pale ale. My favorite by far. It has a nice spicy hope taste up front, but it's very mellow. Malt sweetness is there, but makes a nice balance.

I wish this beer were more readily available here in Texas. I might have to make some trades to get more of this in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Burning River pours a rich, deep gold, with a finger of smooth white head. As with all beers from this brewery, retention and lacing is fantastic. The aroma shouts out balance. While there's a large dose of grapefruit, its more than adequately counted by a deep biscuit malt base. Floral and leafy notes elevate things to the next level.

The flavour is relatively simple, but proves that sometimes all you need to do to be exceptional is do simple very well. Sweet grapefruit and tangerine hops add a rich vibrancy to a caramel and biscuit base. Slightly sweet, with a moderate bitterness and a dry, lightly warming finish. I think one of the factors that really pushes Great Lakes over the top is their slightly fuller than normal mouthfeel. A lot of pale ales err towards medium-light, but this one is firmly medium and this certainly helps to bulk up the flavour.

Great Lakes have yet to let me down, and this streak continues. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that they may well be my favourite brewery at this moment in time. To be so consistently excellent over such a diverse array of styles is simply staggering. Burning River Pale Ale is probably one of the best, if not the best, beers I've had in this category. Its drinkability is through the roof, and this is the sort of brew that I'd love to have a permanent supply of should I ever have the fortune to be stranded on a desert island and not be stuck in cold and snowy Toronto.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours an amber orange color with a white head. Plenty of hops and more hops, What can I say, I love it. This is a great example of a great style of beer, enough malt to balance things, but alot of hops. Another great beer from Great Lakes Brewing Company.

4.79/5  rDev +20.4%

I may have discovered my favorite pale ale.

It pours a faint copper almost bordering on amber. The head disapated a bit quickly, but my pint glass is not beer clean either, so a bit of a pass on that.

There is a tremendous hop aroma, quite citrusy and floral. WOW!

This is a beer that is very well balanced. Great round hop impression. Solid bitterness that is carried by the malt. Great hop flavor that really closes out each sip enticing another as a result.

A great drinking beer. I cant believe it is so big almost an IPA. I love it.

4.79/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic brew.. Faint fruit flavor but not overwhelming still keeping the hops

4.78/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best beer I've had this year. Fantastic, clean, yet bold hoppy pale ale.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Darker amber with a thin white head. Heavy lacing on the glass.

Smell: Light hops with a hint of cloves and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of bitter hops and mild clove and citrus.

Overall: Excellent brew! Great flavors and very enjoyable.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

A - Dark copper, clear. Moderate white head.

S - Floral and piney hops in the nose. Some caramel malt notes.

T - Well-hopped. A lot of flavor and aroma hops without overwhelming bitterness. Malt sweetness balanced with floral hop notes up front. Fades to caramel/biscuit notes with some lingering bitterness. Exceptionally balanced to showcase the flavor hops.

M - Good body on this beer. It's a bit chewy, which goes well with this strong pale ale, and stands up to the hops. Starts off heavier and sweeter, but finishes dry.

D - Very drinkable. Well-balanced and shows off the hops nicely, but with enough malt behind it to give it some meat on its bones. Definitely straddling the IPA/pale ale line, but it's got a bit more backbone and less bitterness than I find in most IPAs.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Pours out a clear light amber color with a nice head that sticks and laces well

Smell: Biscuity, with a generous dose of floral hop leaf aroma

Taste: Starts out with a biscuity malt base which starts to pick up some grapefruit pith as the hops kick in by mid-palate; the finish is fruity and bitter with a good hop presence and a touch of alcoholic warming

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation; crisp

Drinkability: This is one great APA and is up there with Three Floyds as one of my favorite examples of the style

Thanks, vwcraig, for the opportunity to re-visit

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

Hazy amber color, with fizzy head that contains lots of small bubbles. Heavy flora hop aroma, even from a distance, the sent of cascade hop shines through. Medium body, which is full of hop. Starts very floral, then moves to a nice bitterness and then the bitterness slowly fades away. A very well overall hopped session beer.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

I brought a six pack of this to a poker game (revisiting an old favorite pale ale that I haven't tried in years). The beer was medium copper colored with a nearly white wet foam. The smell is toasted malts and citrusy hops, maybe even a hint of what passes for wheat (but I'm pretty sure there's no wheat in this beer). The beer tastes ridiculous, as delicious as a pale ale gets. Very good balance of malt and hops and very tasty versions of both. Toasted malts, biscuit, malt sweetness, light citrus fruit from the hops, so good. Medium body and presence like all good pale ales, very very drinkable. I drank more than I intended to in a short period of time but enjoyed it.

Why did I take so long to come back to this beer, one of my original favorites from the state of Ohio? I'm going to make this my summer beer this year, along with Alpha King.

4.76/5  rDev +19.6%

The best beer I've ever had!

4.76/5  rDev +19.6%

A: Perfectly clear golden straw color with visible carbonation forming a crisp white head.
S: Big pineapple notes here. I get tropical fruits abundant. Slight bread/grain notes back up this hop-packed APA.
T: Upfront the hops shine, big floral and fruit notes but it isn't too bitter which gives it a strong malt base to work off. This is a very well balanced beer.
M: Perfectly carbonated, medium bodied, and it coats the palate without being sticky or thick.
D: I could drink this all day long, this is in my top 5 favorite APAs.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.