Edmund Fitzgerald Porter | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Edmund Fitzgerald PorterEdmund Fitzgerald Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Robust and complex, our Porter is a bittersweet tribute to the legendary freighter's fallen crew--taken too soon when the gales of November came early.

37 IBUs

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001

Ratings: 6,473 |  Reviews: 2,028
3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked some up when I was on vacation in Ohio. It was very refreshing even on a warm day.
It did not over take your mouth either. Great head and great appearance. Even my wife who does not like porters thought it was very good.
I grabbed a few cases for home on our drive back.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute

a: Near black with a deep amber bottom and a two finger thick tan head which dissipated to a heavy surface foam film and lacing.

s: That porter combination of dark malt and hops. I could tell this is a porter blindfolded.

t: Initial sense was it was a bit thin for a porter, but it hefted up as time went on, until the hop presence seemed above average.

m: Felt a bit lighter than some porters at first, but got heavier as it was drunk and warmed.

o: A good porter, perhaps one of the best of its type for summer drinking, although porter is not usually a warm weather go-to style. I suppose as one other reviewer noted, the under 6% ABV makes this an exceptionally flavorful yet relatively sessionable porter.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a deep black with a khaki colored head. Some lacing is left along the glass as I drink.

S: Smells of roasted malts and coffee. I pick up some chocolate as well, which is customary for a porter. There's not too much depth to this, but what actually is there is awesome.

T: Roasted malts overtake my pallet in a delicious manner. Some coffee flavors and chocolate of course come from the roasted malts. There's a little bit of sweetness from some dark fruits that I'm picking up as well. Very pleasant.

M: Very smooth tasting with some light carbonation. Very drinkable for the style, even though low in ABV. Definitely easy to have a few of these and not thing twice.

Overall: A fantastic example of the American Porter style. I wish I could get this in my neck of the woods. Under 10 bucks for a 6er of this is one of the best values I've ever seen. If this was available in New England I'd be buying this as my go-to porter.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.