Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Added by stirgy on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 3,254 |  Reviews: 1,102
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.67/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden-orange with a slightly cloudy and hazy appearance. Small-ish, white head that dissipates to a thin layer after a few minutes and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Aroma is kind of strange, at least to me. Nice malts and grains off the nose, very crispy, with a slight cheesy smell - sharp and musty. I don't know if this is intended or not, and I can't decide if it's good or bad, it's just... a little bit different. Also some sweet bread and a dense, underlying corn aroma. Taste is very crisp on the tongue, slightly bitter with a good balance of hops and grains. Certainly more malt and yeast than hops, but all-in-all a nice balance. Nice, sweet bread flavors come around more and more as it gets warmer. I still pick up a cheesy smell that transforms into a taste as the beer hits my palate, slightly sulfuric. Medium body, nice, tight carbonation.

Definitely a decent lager, but I feel the cheesy aroma was a little stronger than it was intended to be. Overall, still a nice tasting beer, and I'd like to try another one to see if I get the same cheesiness.

EDIT: had again recently, still had a cheesy aroma, though not as strong, and this time, not accompanied by the sulfuric character, either. Much more enjoyable this time around, although I still didn't fall in love with this beer. If I want a Great Lakes lager, I'd still reach for an Eliot Ness.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle courtesy of Crushedvol poured into a 32 oz. plastic cup ;)

Pours a nice golden color with two fingers off sticky white head.

Smell is some nice herbal hops that compliment a strong grainy, malt character. Smells very clean and crisp (I know those words don't really mean anything but in this case they do to me :)

Taste is very nice. Balanced, good complex grains up front, a touch of malt sweetness, rounded with a more biscuity edge. Again the hop presence brings some herbal notes and bitterness that compliments the maltiness.

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Crisp, refreshing, full but not cloying, keeps me coming back for more.

Overall this is a very strong beer, I would definitely pick it up if it were distributed to my area.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Snagged a single 12oz. bottle from a broken 6 pack for $0.99. Score.

A: Poured into my Great Lakes pint glass rather aggressively. It's relatively crystal clear, with a slight burnt orange color. Probably a finger’s worth of fluffy head. Great overall carbonation presence that slowly dissipated after a few minutes.

S: It has a baked bread aroma; honey, and caramel malts. Not too overpowering and not too overly appetizing.

T: Much better than it smells. There's a bittersweet, caramel, bready malt flavor with a pretty dry aftertaste. I noticed a touch of honey on the finish too. Nice balance of flavors without being overly complex.

M: Hot weather beer! This beer goes down easy and is very full of flavor. The carbonation is just right and it has a nice balance from start to finish.

O: I'm not too well versed at Dortmunder Lagers, but I must say while they resemble a wimpy macro appearance they also deliver a solid micro flavor. It's not something I'll go out of my way to get my hands on, but certainly not something I would turn down.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Serving Type: Bottle to Pint Glass.

Appearance (4.0): Very clean, love the golden color. The carbonation is nice and solid and the head retention is decent.

Smell (4.0): A very aromatic beer, but I'm not quite sure what the smell is.. for some reason it reminds me of how white wine smells...

Taste (3.5): A nice malty flavor but I am getting a hint of something gone wrong in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel (3.0): Average.

Overall (3.5): This is my first experience with dortmunder, so I don't have much to compare it to (though I should hope to be trying Ayinger's soon). This was my last bottle in a six-pack that I've drank through the last couple of days, waiting for this one before I reviewed it.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Aromas of bready and grainy pale and light malts with a subtle/indiscernible hop aroma.

The tastes follow the nose with full crisp amounts of bready and biscuity grainy malts with a hint of sweetness in the middle and a welcome light herbal hop bitterness on the back.

The mouthfeel is full bodied and well carbonated, actually a little chewy which is unexpected, but pleasant; finishes with a slight drying effect on the palate.

Overall a superb example of the style and the perfect session beer for a nice hot summer day or any day for that matter. Great Lakes is exceptional at crafting great sessionable ales that is for sure.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a small mug. Best before 10/28/12.

Clear pale gold body supports three fingers of active yet lasting ivory head. Thick frothy/soapy lacing extends tendrils up every side. Excellent retention.

Gentle grassy noble hop aroma backed my a touch of lemon and a cracker-y malt element.

Light sweetness suggests honey and malt and leads into a faintly bitter and greatly refreshing hop flavor mid-palate. Pils (?) malt and a spicy/herbal quality emerge in the finish, playing off one another in the aftertaste until you are once again left with a lingering sense of rock candy.

Light-bodied, well carbonated; soft yet crisp.

Malty, well hopped, and incredibly smooth - a superior German-style lager. Rating to style, this is among the best, and pairs well with the pierogi I picked up at the West Side market just down the street from the brewery.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.