Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Dortmunder GoldGreat Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Style: Dortmunder / Export Lager

Added by stirgy on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 3,290 |  Reviews: 1,111
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

I remember sitting in a small bar one night in Columbus, Ohio waiting on the doors to open to see David Guetta perform for the first time. He was playing at a REALLY small venue, once a church, but the doors didn’t open for a couple of hours. So we went and had a beer at a really small pub. I had a Great Lakes beer. Seemed fitting. I don’t remember which one, but it wasn’t this one. I have never had a dortmunder beer before. I am excited to try it.

In the Glass: I wasn’t expecting so much color. The tasting notes made it sound like a bland European beer with some subtle apple overtones. But the beer pours almost orange, and has a very nice look to it. It looks good, so I hope the smell and flavors match.

Nose: It smells VERY fruity, and has a simple sweetness to it. People online say this beer tastes like apples. I keep reading that. The sweetness I am getting on the nose would make me think there will be some heavy apple in the flavor. Well… let’s stop smelling and start drinking.

Flavor: Drink this beer cold. We are drinking it right out of the fridge, and I don’t think heating this beer up will help. There isn’t much flavor, but the flavor that is there is a high quality and lasting flavor. There isn’t much apple, but there is a simple sweetness that turns dry toward the back of the palate. Swishing it around in my mouth really opens the tongue up, and you get those dry notes all over. I like it.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring for the first half of the palate, but when the sweetness kicks in leading to a dry finish, I dig it. The burp is good too. This beer has won some medals, a gold medal at that… and while I don’t think it’s THAT good, I would totally get a case of this for a Saturday night at home.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great. It sits there and doesn’t mess around. It’s dry, almost like what you experience after eating some really fresh fruit in the middle of the summer, and just lingers for a long time. A good three to four minutes have passed since my last sip and it’s still hanging out. I like it.

This is a really good beer. I am a big fan of Great Lakes, and while I wish there were more in the book… there are only two on our list. But that’s OK. We go to Ohio every once in a while so we can grab a bottle of this if we need to. We’re actually in the process of planning a trip to Jungle Jim’s. Anyway, I like this beer a ton. Bottoms up people!

Dortmunder Gold - The bottle says: “Our Dortmunder Gold is a consistent gold medalist and a balanced golden lager (do you see a pattern forming?). In the Middle Ages, this style brewed in Germany was so popular it required armed escorts when exported to surrounding towns. As you can see, this beer was and still is as good as gold.”

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A- pours golden straw color with a very light haze. Has a giant white head with good retention that leaves a slight lace
S- low hop aroma with sweet malt
T- sweet malt up front immediately balanced by the hop bitterness and a bit of mineral flavor. Finishes crisp and clean
M- medium bodied with a said amount of carbonation
O- very well done. First of the style that I have tried and it seems spot on. A but different but still very crisp

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Beautiful dark gold/amber, very fizzy, but with a minimal head that disappeared immediately.
S: Rich, fruity smell
T: Full, flavorful of fruits and more malty than I expected
M: Thick without being syrupy, pretty high carbonation.
O: Tasty. Not the most attractive, but very tasty.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a rich, transparent amber color with a decent-sized head. Lacing is persistent, with attractive reticulation. Aroma is pleasantly wheaty, if unremarkable. Really digging the perky carbonation. Flavor is as suggested on the label: not as dry as a Pilsner, though less malty than a traditional lager. This combination makes for an incredibly balanced and highly drinkable brew. Hops flavor is clean and appropriately present. I'm not much of a lager man, especially lighter lagers, but there's no denying this beer is well crafted and a worthy champion of its style.

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (Enjoy By 04/25/12) into a pint glass.

A steady pour yields a 1/2-finger off white head that snaps and fizzes like a bowl of Rice Krispies. In seconds, the energetic head vanishes leaving a scraggly-looking dusting and barely noticeable foam ring. The body is a perfectly clear golden yellow with a decent amount of fat carbonation bubbles rushing upward in a lost effort to reinforce the already diminished head. Almost no lacing can be found at any point during consumption.

The nose is grainy and bready with little hops presence. The malts offer notes of dry cereal, bread crust, and toasted biscuits. What little hops can be found in the aroma gives light, sweet notes of mandarin oranges and pineapple.

Each sip starts with toasty, grainy malts, citrus hops, and a slight spiciness. Notes of biscuits, whole grain bread, and orange zest are all discernible. Upon swallowing, the hops flavors immediately amplify and take on a grassiness. A strong lager yeast flavor also comes out and combines nicely with the other flavors. A dry finish leaves the grassy hops flavors on the palate.

Medium bodied with excellent carbonation, this beer is smooth on the tongue and crisp in the finish. The body is just full enough to allow the flavors to blossom but light enough to keep the great drinkability of a Dortmunder. The carbonation is rather fizzy while the beer is in contact with the tongue but does not seem to interfere much with the flavors.

Overall, this is a bold, rather heavy take on the style. The ABV and body are definitely close to the biggest you will find in a Dort. In spite of this, Great Lakes kept the great drinkability and balanced flavors that are necessary in a beer of this style. It is no wonder this beer is a Cleveland favorite.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.06 out of 5 with 3,290 ratings