Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Dortmunder / Export Lager

Added by pezoids on 09-18-2001

Reviews: 1,087 | Ratings: 3,204
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

Finally got my mitts on the GLBC brews when I drove to my family's home for Christmas.

This one pours out a clear, bright yellow-gold with a soft, creamy white head that held pretty well and left a reasonable lace.

Smell is light malt scents edged with toasted grains and a little bit of European hoppiness.

Taste is clean, with a light toastiness, and just enough hops to keep it from being too sweet, but certainly not bitter. Little bit of lemon/citric flavor sneaks in, too. Just wonderfully understated, the perfect session drinker that still packs in a big flavor. Mouthfeel is light but crisp, definitely not watery.

Overall: A very impressive brew, tasted super fresh and was refreshing. Highly recommended as a session choice.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz longneck bottle, capped, and dated.

This lager poured a clear, amber color with creamy, off-white foam that persisted. The smell was mildly malty with a hint of hops. The taste was malty with a hint of sweetness and with modest hop bitterness. Good balance. The mouthfeel was dry and crisp with medium body and good carbonation feel. The hoppiness came out in the finish and lingered pleasantly. This was a very nice, crisp lager, and was easy to drink.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - This beer pours yellow-orange with a white, two finger head exhibiting moderate retention and heavy lacing.

Smell – The predictable lagery-yeasty smells are backed by not-so-typical hoppy and rich malty smells. The nose gives away that this is a good beer. But you have no idea how good until you get to the taste.

Taste – Outstanding. This beer tastes fruity with crisp grainy notes and a nice dry finish of average length. This beer is really nicely put together. The hops come across as merely bittering – not doing anything special, but totally appropriate and in line with the malts.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is clean, dry, medium-bodied, nicely-carbonated and crisp.

Drinkability – Hell yeah! This is a wonderful beer any time of year. This is what a lager is supposed to be.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz single, Woodman's

fresh by 12/9/05...i guess im fucked...ohh great lakes and their ridiculous freshness date standards

appearance: golden yellow/pale orange, bubbly body, foamy white head and rim lacing

smell: it's one of those lagers you can smell as soon as you stick your face near the glass...sweet malt aromas dominate, theres some herbal hops in the nose too

taste: starts off as expected, grainy dry malts and some lightly grassed hops, then out comes the sweet fruity (belgian-esque) flavor burst...pears, apricot, peaches. An interesting turn of events indeed...nice balance

mouthfeel: light and malty, finishes quite dry and slightly hoppy

drinkability: very drinkable, session-like

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

This is my first experience with Great lakes Brewing Company and I was very impressed.
The brew poured amber with a average white head.
Smell was crisp & sweet with a hint of malt.
The taste of this beer is really odd, at first taste it really didn't appeal to me but the combination of malt then sweetness and a subtle boldness had me wanting another right away.
The finish is clean with just a little hop aftertaste.
This is a good solid beer & I would highly recommend.

price:$5.99 for a 6 pack

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

The color of the beer is an amber orange color. There is pretty much no head or lacing on this beer. Not really impressed with the appearance of this one. It doesn't look like it's a craft beer. The only thing interesting about the appearance of this one is the color.

The beer has a fairly strong aroma. Its smell is primarily identified as a malty aroma to my nose. Overall it smells about avearge. Nothing special about the smell of this one.

I like the tatse of this one. It has more of a bitter hop influence than a malt influence in my opinion. The taste of the hops remind me of a pale ale or other style that is very similar. In the aftertaste I do detect something that reminds me of a nutty taste/flavor, but thats just me.

The beer is light on the palate and is not full bodied. It has a moderate amount of carbonation perhaps just a bit too much. There isn't much more to say about this beer. It is pretty average, nothing that makes it stand out nor is there anything that condems it. Depending on the selection at the store I would buy this again. However I would only buy it again if I saw no better beer there. It's not a bad brew but there is nothing that is special about it. Then again perhaps I am just not a big fan of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: This beer pours cleanly and settles nicely. I am drawn to how golden the beer is. This is an attractive beer that retains its head well.

Smell: There is a sweet smell about this that is hard to pin point. Perhaps a slight smell of caramel. It also has some bread notes going on here.

Taste: This is a great tasting beer. Adjectives that come to mind are bold, crisp, and well balanced. There is a breadiness that is going on here that is entirely pleasent. It does have a sweet aftertaste that is best described as "orangie" but not citrusy. Slight hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and a bit creamy. Very nice.

Notes: One of the better GLBC beers. I had this in a bottle and it is even better on tap.

I got this on-tap at a local restaurant and was served to me in a big 22oz. Pilsener Glass. It was either this or BMC.

Appearance: The color to me was an orange-copper color with a head of foam, about 2in in length and left plenty of lace after the foam went down.

Smell: The only thing I picked up in the nose was nothing but hops and malts. A typical lager smell.

Taste: The taste was refreshing, lots of malts up front and then a clean hop bitterness at the very end.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth, carbonated, and medium bodied. After a couple of sips, that bitterness lingers around for a while.

Drinkability: This made an excellent choice for an alternative to nothing but macros. This is just a litte better on-tap comapred to their bottled version.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color beer with a nice clean white bubbly head with pretty good retention. Aroma of floral malt and subtle hops. Taste is very refreshing with a good malt presence, a full body (for the style) and medium bitterness at the end. Very good for the style.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pristine copper, nice head and lace.

Clean hoppy lagered aromas; german floral hops atop a nice gooey malt profile. Enticing.

I have to say I absolutely could not stand the first 2/3 of the taste of this beer - buttery, sweaty feet, just off...but then the beer completely redeems itself by the last 1/3. Just an amazing lager taste with a great German hop-garden tickle.

Either my palate is shot or I got a bad example...I want to like this, and I do like part of it. But the first section? No thanks.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Had on tap at Great Lakes in Cleveland. This was the first time I had a draft version, but I've had it in bottles many times going back years.

Clear gold in color with a thin white head. The aroma was a little smokier than I've noticed in bottles. Actually, I've never detected a smoke flavor in bottles at all, but it was in the draft.

Extremely drinkable, due to relatively low alcohol and refreshing taste. The viscosity is medium, so it goes down easily.

A reliable anytime beer. You can't go wrong with this.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a clear golden color, with only a thin head and mild lacing.

Smell is mild floral hopsand malt. It also has what I can only describe as a grainy quality to it.

Taste is initially sweet malts, followed by that grain quality, finnishing with just a touch of hop bitterness. It has a medium bodied mouthfeel and goes down pretty good.

I'm not a big lager fan, but this beer was better than I was expecting. I'm glad I picked up a 6er of this while I was in Ohio.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Another one of those beers I've had so many times without ever wanting to reflect upon it besides, ah, well... damn that's good!

Pours a clear and gorgeous gold with an orange hue, varying sized carbonation release intermittently supports a thin but strong head. The color in and of itself is beautiful though the lacing is a pleasant surprise for a lighter lager.

Smell is herbal, minty, crackling German hop garden. Sharp and pinching in effect with a bare gasp of husky malt. The flavor continues with all types of herbal, minty, snappy hops slicing through with extreme Noble character. Underneath is a fuller mouthfeel than expected which balances the bitterness and near-oily hop resins while allowing just a smidge of caramel/high-kilned maltiness. Finish is mineral-tinged and almost clean with a husky malt and vegetal hop dryness.

Bracing, bursting, beautiful beer. So fresh if you live in the Great Lakes.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

(Served in a pilsner glass)

A- This beer pours a deep golden yellow crystal clear body and a good carbonation of tiny bubbles. The creamy off-white head lasts forever.

S- Sweet fresh corn smell with a hint of pale malt. No real hops smell.

T-This beer has a fresh sweet corn taste that has a very faint pale malt hint. The hops are a faint bitterness at the finish. The finish is dry with a slight sulfur taste. The carbonic acid taste is very light but noticeable and actually compliments the hops.

M- medium mouthfeel but the carbonation is a lot of that mouthfeel.

D- This tastes like strong sweet corn and I think I can even taste the corn silk in my teeth. I would like to see the malt come through a bit more or some more hops to balance. It was to one-dimensional for me. However this beer had an amazing, long-lasting head.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Brilliant golden colour topped by a fluffy white head. Good lacing and retention makes this a fine looking beer. Hoppy aroma consisting of plenty of floral character and a bit of lemon, pine, and spice. This is balanced by mild toasty malt. Really nice. Great combination of flavours; toasted maltiness, moderate-to-high bitterness, and generous hopping. Everything stays nicely balanced right through to the dryish finish, with the bitterness lingering on even longer. The body is a little fuller than light, this beer is quite smooth with moderate carbonation. There's also a bit of residual sweetness that keeps it from being overly dry. Great tasting and full of flavour, this is a very enjoyable lager. Well done!

3.63/5  rDev -11%

A - Pours a beautiful crystal-clear golden color, no head or lace to speak of.

S - A nice crisp and light hops smell and a shade of barley, not too weak or overpowering.

T - Tasting an odd mixture of hop and barley, a little too much like a macro lager for my liking.

M - It does have a crisp and smooth character like this ber should have and do it well, very good in this department.

D - For this beer, in this category, I would give it a good rating. It's a good drinkable beer, at a palletable ABV, not a bad release from Great Lakes.

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

The beer is a deep brassy color. After pouring, it initially had a thick white head which has receded to a thin layer over the top of the beer. As I take each sip, webs of lace form down the sides of my mug. The only reason I don’t give this a 5 for appearance is the fact that it really more orange than gold, but that’s just because I feel like being picky.

Sniffing the beer, I pick up a light grainy aroma.

This beer tastes wonderful. It is clean and refreshing, yet still complex and satisfying. The lightly sweet, bread like malt flavor is perfectly balanced with the refined hop bitterness. This beer is the very definition of balance.

The beer has a medium body and a moderate level of carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is untouchable. There really isn’t much more to say about it.

Appearance: dark straw color with a foamy head with almost no carbonation. Head reduced to lacing that clings to the side of the pint galss

Smell: light malt

Taste: a sweet malt taste. It is a little more watered down than I had expected. The hops are mild and give a nice spice.

Mouthfeel: good aftertaste. Once again this Great Lakes Brew is extremely smooth.

This is one of the best lagers I have ever had. It will make me think twice about picking up my old standard Yuengling Traditional Lager

Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a fantastic clear gold with a two finger head that dissipates leaving some nice lacing. Not a lot of smell slightly sweet and yeasty. Taste is very malty and sweet with just enough bitterness to balance it out. Very good stuff with perhaps some honey and peach flavors coming through. Nice medium mouthfeel with substantial carbonation. I could drink this all night.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

I was at a friend's house and saw two bottles of this in the fridge. I asked if I could have one and he said I could but he wouldn't reccomend it. Good thing for me, I went against his advice. The smell was very light and it had me expecting an average beer. Well the taste was certainly not average. Slightly bitter, slightly sweet. It was very well balanced. A nice satisfying brew.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

These are smooth and quite basic but when you get down to reviewing the beer within the style--it is one of the better ones out there. Gold with a touch of amber. Good initial head and decent lace.

Smell is clean and malty. Some saltwater macro swill aroma is present but not enough to really detract.I knew. I was going to love this one.

Taste is clean,dry and malty with a wet grainy finish. Quite nice. Everything else seems to be in check on this one. All systems go.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

My first Dortmunder. Amazing that i sampled two new styles yesterday, when at this point in my life, i've tried a LOT of beer. But to the best of my knowledge there are no examples of this style sold in AL. Guy brought three bottles of this to brewclub last night. Not too many people there so i was able to get enough of it to feel i can now write a review.

Overall, a mostly typical golden craft lager with just a little something different. Hard to put my finger on it. The word that comes to mind is "grainy." More than tasting "malt," you can actually taste something like fresh grain in this. Hops are light. Well balanced and something i'd definitely like to have again...

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served from a 12 ounce bottle into a 20 ounce wine goblet.

Appearance: I love the way the light is reflected from the golden colored hues of this beer. Tiny bubbles exploded to the surface of my glass. This had a very fluffy inch and a half head of a creamy coloration.

Smell: I dont get a lot of smell from this beer. There is a small hop and yeasty smell present.

Taste: This one has a balanced sweetness to bitterness ratio.

Mouth feel: Above average nicely carbonated and very smooth overall.

Drink ability: This is a very drinkable beer. It is not to heavy and not to light.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Clear golden clor with a 1 inch white head. Toasted grain aroma. Sweet toasted malt flavor with grassy hops. Totally lacks the off-flavors found in most similar beers. Very tasty. Crisp and refreshing. Great drinkability. This is not a very complex beer, but it works very well. This is a beer that probably anyone could enjoy.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a bright golden yellow with a fluffy head. Some lacing down the sides. Aroma is very light and mild. Taste is definitely better then the average lager. Smooth, mild and slightly sweet. Good mouthfeel with a clean, crisp finish. An enjoyable beer.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes Brewing Co.