Great Lakes Eliot Ness | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Eliot NessGreat Lakes Eliot Ness

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Vienna Lager

An amber lager with rich, fragrant malt flavors balanced by crisp noble hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 3,185 |  Reviews: 1,023
4.32/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a perfect pint glass. This is my first Vienna Lager that isn't Samuel Adams

A: Pours an absolutely perfect amber color. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more beautiful amber color in my beer pouring life. There's a small white-ish cap on the top that subsides to a small ring around my glass.

S: This brew is all about the caramel malts. I haven't even tasted it yet and I already know what this will be about. There's a small hop profile that I pick up as well. Some nice stuff here, though.

T: These caramel malts are absolutely incredible. There's a slight hoppy flavor, but caramel malts are front and center and I could not be any happier.

M: Eliot Ness is an incredibly smooth beer with a medium mouthfeel. This is definitely the definition of drinkability.

Overall: I could easily see myself grabbing a few sixers of this every single time I'm out of New England. Actually, I might single handedly try to get Great Lakes to distribute to New England. What an awesome brew and at 8-9 bucks a sixer for such a premium beer is pretty much unbeatable. Wow.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a malt sweetness which reminds me of Sam Adams Octoberfest, however it also has a hop bitterness which comes through unlike the Octoberfest. This beer gives me flashbacks to the better bodied, sweet and malty Octoberfest style beers I tried (like the Sam Adams) but with a hop character added in. The malt character is very good, and the hop component is tasteful. Overall a great beer!

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Great Lakes Eliot Ness from Great Lakes Brewing Co.