Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Dogbrick on 11-29-2005

Ratings: 1,810 |  Reviews: 421

Traveled to Cleveland with my brother yesterday to pick up a few of these at the brewery and try it on tap. I've always liked regular blackout stout, and I just couldn't miss this.

Appearance: Deep, rich chocolate brown - practically black. Held a short, frothy deep tan head with light lacing throughout drinking. Reminds me of the foam at the top of hot chocolate.

Smell: The smell was amazing - exactly like bourbon, but better. Charred oak, sweet chocolate and cream - smelled unbelievably delicious.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow. Wow. Words can hardly describe. I will admit to exclaiming that I wanted to eat it after the first sip because the taste was so incredibly delicious. I tasted different dimensions with every sip - toasted coffee beans, dark creamy bitter chocolate, bourbon - big bourbon, creaminess and charred oak. The alcohol is strong, as in bourbon, and it has a wonderful warming effect - not sharp or stinging in any way. The mouth is very creamy with low carbonation, just enough to keep it from being flat.

Drinkability: It tastes so good, that I could drink a lot more than I should. We even went back to the brewpub later in the day to have another.

I know that a perfect rating should be really rare, but this beer definitely deserves it. I have never enjoyed a beer this much in my life. Great job, Great Lakes!

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.