Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Dogbrick on 11-29-2005

Reviews: 420 | Ratings: 1,795
4.59/5  rDev +6%

22oz bottle split into two wine glasses last night. 2010 vintage via normyk in the Black Booty Vol 4 BIF

A: Pours a light brown but sits in the glass dark as night. 1 finger tan head, no lacing

S: Booze soaked brownie with walnuts. Nice oak presence. Cocoa powder, vanilla, roast and some smokiness. One of those beers you could smell forever

T: Very rich chocolate flavor with subtle roasted malt. Has that initial bite similar to what you get from wine. Reminds me a little of rum balls. Oak and light vanilla cap this one off

M: Full bodied, very smooth and creamy. Light roasted malt aftertaste

D: I wasn't a big fan of the regular version but that was delicious. In some ways, this reminded me of Kate the Great - not quite as complex or easy drinking but the flavors are pretty spot on. Two thumbs way up

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black with a quickly dissipating white head.

S: Bourbon is the first thing smelled in this beer. There is deeply roasted malts I the background of this beer.

T: There is one of the best balances between bourbon, dark malts, and chocolate that I've ever had.

M: Very viscous with a decent carbonation.

O: Get this beer at least once. This beer should be the bench mark for elite stouts.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to Nate for bringing this beer, something I've wanted to try a while and I was not disappointed! Not sure of the year, but because of some heat i think it's probably 2010.

A: Black hue all the way, sticky lacing and semi tan head that only stays as a small ring.

S: This is great. Just the right amount of woody/vanilla bourbon notes balanced by big chocolate and roasty charred malt of the base RIS Blackout. Some alcohol sweetness but it just adds more complexity instead of a distraction in this case.

T: Great as well. Huge open flavor with chocolate, vanilla, bourbon soaked oak-wood notes, black licorice candy sweetness, and some alcohol notes and heat. Also some pleasant peaty notes as well. This is almost a five from me as well. I give 5's for top 5% in the category, and man this is close. Once the heat goes down it'll likely be great with some age.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick yet smooth with some heat.The drinkability is pretty high for me, I enjoyed the beer a lot.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

22 ounce bottle acquired from Sephiroth about six months ago and has been in the cellar ever since, thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to try this brew, took me about two hours to get through last night, poured into my Chimay goblet

A-Black color with no light going through even though it looked a little thin, 3/4 inch creamy tan head, stuck around for about five minutes, decent retention, great lacing for a barrel-aged beer

S-Aroma was awesome with a big spicy bourbon scent, lots of oak and vanilla, dark chocolate, roasted malts, hint of espresso, somehow a bit of hoppiness, and figs

T-Bourbon did not waste any time in attacking my palate, stung my tongue on the initial sip which made me aware of how much whiskey had actually seaped into this one, some sweet vanilla in the middle, extremely dark chocolate at the end with an obvious oak character, got smoother as it warmed and the bourbon settled down a bit but not enough, the finish became slightly drier with a coffee feel that was barely recognizable, also got a little sweeter with some dark fruit and stronger vanilla flavors, nicely balanced and very enjoyable

M-Very spicy, hot, roasted, and sweet mouthfeel, seriously complex, taste lingered for a long time because of the booze presence, pretty thin body for a stout, perfect level of carbonation

D-I drank this whole bottle by myself but could not have drank much more, packs a punch at nine percent alcohol, incredibly smooth though, bourbon is present in taste but not too strong, light on the stomach for what it is

I was expecting a lot from this being that I gave up my last bottle of Angel's Share for it, worth all the hype and much better than the standard Blackout Stout from Great Lakes in my opinion, think this is brewed once a year and it is definitely worth seeking out, cannot really go wrong with a barrel aged stout, would love to drink again

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Toppling Goliath sniffer from a 12 Oz bottle, bottled in 2015. Little to no head, thin lacing around the edge.

L: Black as night, no light sneaks through. Obviously with a name like it has you wouldn't expect it to.

S: Not much for smell here, faint coffee and roasted malt.

T: Wonderful. Toffee, coffee, caramel, plums. I really enjoy the barrel flavor on this beer. Brings out a light fruity side I'm not used to in alot of barrel aged brews. Curious as to the whiskey they got the barrels from. This beer is also fairly sweet, making it a great night cap.

F: For all the flavors going on you would expect it to be thick and viscous, not the case. It's pretty thin, but it is a stout and not a RIS.

Overall: Great beer, nice change of pace from other barrel aged stouts. This is thinner, fruity, sweet, and the barrel taste shines.

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Pitch brown body. Mocha, clingy, and sticky head that drapes and melts from the sides of the glass.
Smell: Easy bourbon, medium roasted malts, molasses, vanilla, and the right amount of sweetness. This smells smooth. Memorable concoction of aromas. Taste: The taste replicates the smell. There is also light nuttiness, and back-seat roast. The bourbon-barreling gracefully melds with the base beer to create an ideal barrel-aged stout. The BAing brings the base up a couple of notches.
Feel: The feel is nothing to complain about, and exceeds my expectations.

Overall - For me the base beer was a superior stout. The barrel-aged stout is much-improved, and makes this barrel-aged stout exceptional. Overall, compared to the original, the taste is polished.

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into snifter. 2014 Vintage

A - pours black with hints of brown around the edges

S - tons of bourbon, some vanilla and sugar

T - bourbon up front, with lots of burnt sugar, some caramel and vanilla and less chocolate than expected having been very familiar with the regular blackout stout.

M - very smooth but almost a bit to thin

O - incredibly delicious barrel aged version of an already phenomenal stout

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoying a 2009 bottle thanks to Kels. I've been holding onto this for almost two years. Thought this would a be great gift to myself for fathers day.

A: Looks good. Almost black with very little carbonation and minimal lacing.

S: Excellent. Bourbon and damp oak are the predominant smells.

T: Very nice. The bourbon grabs you first, but I also get chocolate and a hint of smokiness.

M: Full bodied, silky smooth.

O: Top notch all the way!

I don't know if I'll ever be fortunate enough to land this again. One can only hope.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

On-tap on the BA Blackout Release Party Thursday October 28, 2010. Poured into a small 6 oz. serving cup...

A - Poured a dark black with some slight ruby red outlining on the edges of the beer. A nice mocha colored head forms with nice retention until it slowly receded to a nice film on top of the same color.

S - Tremendous. Notes of dark roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, vanilla, oakiess, and bourbon all mixing together perfectly. Nothing outshined the other and it all worked so well together.

T - Great barrel aging here. It is obviously not overdone and complements the base beer incredibly well. Roasted malts, chcolate, toffee, and oaky vanilla right up front along with a great warming bourbon presence. Soem slight coffee and almost leathey like qualities poke through as well. Everything works so nicely together.

M - A lot thinner than I expected and was hoping it would be. Still a nice feel on the palate. Medium bodied with nice carbonation. It is still nice and smooth.

D - Without a doubt one of the easiest drinking Barrel Aged RIS' I have ever had. The ABV is low enough to truly enjoy this great boozy tadting beer without all of the booze. Will certainly enjoy the bombers I brought home with me

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

October 2007 release. Purchased at the Great Lakes gift shop. Obliterative onyx with a sliver of sepia along the bottom edge. The three finger crown is the exact color of golden brown sugar and has a creamy solidity about it. Bourbon barrel-aged beers tend not to be lace monsters, but this one is pretty impressive in that regard.

Oddly enough, the aroma isn't bursting at the seams with bourbon. I love the fact that the GL brewers see this ale as an RIS that is accented with whiskey, not completely saturated with it. Dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla bean are joined by exactly the right amount of bourbon. Perfection.

The flavor profile is pretty much as expected. In other words, bourbon whiskey is at least as prominent as stout, without overwhelming the base beer. First impression: this offering is roughly as good as Blackout Stout, but not appreciably better.

For whatever reason, the body/mouthfeel seems to take a hit when a beer is barrel-aged. In any case, this special release doesn't taste as chock full of malt as the standard version. The flavor profile includes chocolate liqueur, ground coffee beans, a surprising amount of vanilla, dark brown sugar, blackstrap molasses and... America's greatest spirit. If I'm not mistaken, the barrels were acquired from the Jim Beam distillery. Good choice. Jim Beam Black is one of my standbys.

As noted above, the mouthfeel falls short of perfection. That doesn't mean, however, that it's less than pleasureable. Great Lakes is one of the best 'mouthfeel breweries' around and they've done themselves proud yet again. Time and warming add a light creaminess to the festivities.

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout combines my second favorite style with my first or second favorite liquor, and is brewed by one of my favorite breweries. How could it fail to be anything less than amazing? Thanks to my brother for securing a double handful of this exceptional ale last autumn. I can't wait until this October when I can replenish my stock. Highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a deep ebony with a very pretty brown/tan head; the nose is as good or better than any I’ve smelled before with sweet carmel, alcohol, and a little bit of carbon (almost the best part of the beer); flavors of chocolate, coffee, csndy sugar and, malt impress upon you a general feeling that you will want more; the body is heavy but not cloying; the finish tells you that it was aged in bourbon barrels and leaves almost the full flavor of the beer in you mouth. This is one fantastic beer, it ties for first in my book.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to silverX for this gem.

A - poured into a sweetH2O tulip black as night with a thin tan head. Very nice lacing remains and the liquid looks quite bold.

S - good amount of fig with dark chocolate and a pitch of booze. Slight sweet caramel comes in with a faint buttery scent that makes my mouth water.

T - dark chocolate, fig and hints of coffee in there but not too heavy a all. No if booze intake which doesn't surprise me since its below 10%. Sight malty character to it as well bu only after a few sips for me.

M - very soothing but not too thick or thin for that matter. Just perfectly in the middle.

O - a great stout. I would love to get more of these.

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

PatronWizard...for the crap you give me, I still have to thank you for this incredible beer.

A: Dark and black liquid that displayed a nice tan looking head. Lacing was good as well.

S: Wow! An incredible and robust coffee aroma along with a good amount a oak presence.

T: Again...Wow! Flavor profile is dominated by a espresso/coffee character along with hints of chocolate and caramel. This beer is also bourbony (bad spelling...I know), but not overwhelming like the KBS; blends in very well with the rest of the flavors.

M: Full-body with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: At 9% ABV, this beer hides the alcohol very well. The flavor and aroma profile is also very awesome as well.

Overall: One of those beers that you have to say "Wow!" to. The aroma made me excited, as did the taste. A must try...seriously. Cheers!!!!

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

From a trade with clockworkorange - thanks for the brew!!

Shared among friends and poured into DFH snifter glass. With an aggressive pour, this brew comes out jet black and viscous. Hardly any head, and what head there was dissapears into a thin ring of lace.

The smell was the best thing about this brew. Bourbon, vanilla and nice oak undertones, followed by a sweet malty base. The nose gets better as the brew warms but the alcohol does get noticably hotter. Initial taste is all vanilla! Sweet malts pervade from front to back with a clear bourbon undertow. Hop profile is minimal and could barely detect any. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and velvety smooth.

For me drinkability was a bit down since I did not find the alcohol hidden to well. This is evident as the brew warms. Overall however, this brew is fantastic and is a great contender among barrel-aged RIMPs. Another BA that shared this with me suggested that this brew is far superior to the un-barreled version.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

2010 22oz bomber poured into a Bell's tulip. Split with RMoeNay on our couples double date with Maura and Jlynn.

A - Almost black body with a khaki head. Moderate lacing.

S - Bbourbon, oak, vanilla, malts, fruit. Bourbon plays a nice role but doesn't overwhelm. Very inviting.

T - Bourbon barrel aging does so much for this beer. Love the vanilla and oak. The chocolate really works well with the vanilla in the finish. Bottle says serve at 55 degrees. This beer really comes alive as it warms.

M - Very smooth and creamy with an excellent finish that lingers

D - So glad I got to try this one. An amazing stout.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

2009 Vintage. 22 oz bottle.

A - Clear, very dark brown colored, nearly black. Small, tightly formed, long lasting ring of tannish head. Little lacing. Nice and thicke looking (like Alan Thicke).

S - Big cocoa, chocolate, burnt roasty aromas. Nice sweet vanilla-like oaky smell with a very pleasant sweet bourbon presence. Very well balanced and quite inviting.

F/M - Again, big chocolate up front. Followed by loads of sweet dark malts, roasty flavors and lots of vanilla and bourbon. The flavors meld seemlessly from rich to smooth, with a nice lingering chocolaty finish. The alcohol gets slightly noticeable as it warms, but it is very enjoyable. Medium full bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - Definitely one of the best imperial stouts I've had in a while. Smooth, rich, tasty, and with noticeable barrel character. World class.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2015 vintage served in a Teku.

Pours a very dark brown with minimal head. Chocolate, oak, sweet dark fruit, and bourbon on the nose. Taste is similar to the aroma and it's a bit sweet. In addition to flavors in the aroma I'm getting a little roasted coffee and nice charred flavor that I absolutely love. Mouthfeel is thick, but not syrupy like BCBS. Overall, this is a fantastic BA stout that stands out to me with the charred finish that it has. I really like the base beer as well, and the added barrel aging makes it even better!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz bottle. Poured into my Duvel glass. Love the regular Blackout.. expectations are high

Seems like most of my great beer moments are enjoyed while I have the night to myself and I am parked in front of my LCD playing COD4..or COD WAW

anywho.. back to the review.

A - No real surprise.. BLACK. Small head with slight lacing

S - Great Smell.. stands out from other BA Imps. Nice bourbon barrel notes of vanilla and oak.. also picking some nice dark chocolate tones. Maybe some toffee in as it warms. Bitter Cacao.

M/T - This is some Damn Fine tasty brew. All the notes I was smelling seem to stand out and yet blend together so well.

D- This is where this beer shines. I have NEVER had such a drinkable BA Imp Stout. It's actually on the dangerous side of being too drinkable. WOW. I had to slow myself down from finishing in five minutes. So smooth.

bottom line.. love it.

thanks Zapata. true Gem.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Many thanks go out to BuckeyeNation for his benevolence and generosity in sending me this fine beer.

Bottle labeled "Series 2516"

Appearance: It pours an extremely dark brown, nearly jet black color. The head is a dark, mocha brown color and is roughly two fingers deep. Retention was relatively good though lacing leaned toward the lighter end of the spectrum. In comparison, it's not materially different from Blackout Stout, which is also a very fine looking brew.

Smell: Clearly, it's elite in this regard. Very vibrant chocolate and roasted malt aroma is perfectly complemented with a touch of bourbon. The bourbon aroma is easily noticeable, but far from overwhelming. I gravitate more towards that combo as opposed to those where the bourbon is the primary feature. Roasted coffee, faint dark fruit, and light toasted nut aromas add complexity and depth. Alcohol appears to be masked very well. Hops make a slight appearance toward the end. There's no constructive way I could criticize the nose on this one. It truly is exceptional in every way.

Taste: Frankly, it's very similar to the nose. The bourbon flavor is blended very well with chocolate and roasted malts and complements those flavors very well. The bourbon again comes across as a secondary flavor. It's far from overwhelming. To me, the stout element of the beer is the primary attraction. There is a very nice roasted coffee flavor. Plum and toasted nut flavors are noteable, but not overly strong. It's very complex and flavorful. My only complaint is that the light hops that are noticeable in smell disappear in taste. Just a little light hop bitterness would perhaps take it to the next level. Very minor, constructive criticism. It's truly hard to take anything away from it.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It definitely leans toward medium bodied. It's still a sipping beer and certainly one to savor. Carbonation is excellent. The mouthfeel is very creamy, smooth, and among the best I've had. Despite its high abv, it's very drinkable. I'm certainly appreciating the one bottle I have very much and am wishing I had more. This is an excellent bourbon barrel stout. It's clearly one of the best I've had the opportunity to try. Kentucky Breakfast Stout is perhaps a slight bit better, but not much. If you have the opportunity to try this one, you certainly should.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

A 650 mL bottle, number 540 of 900 from the 2006 release, from a Dark Lord Day 2007 trade with kirok1999.

A: The stout pours thick and dark as a blackout on a moonless night. Even when I hold the Troegenator mug to a light source, ruby highlights are few and far between. A small coating of tan head tops off the stout with moderate lacing.

S: The nose is heavy on bourbon, an oaky, corn-laden sweetness that is right at home amongst the burnt, charred grains of the stout.

T: WOW! This is a well-blended, balanced stout. The barrel aging (and subsequent cellar aging) has done wonders, concentrating a buttery, oaken boozy flavor that is sweet but not overpowering. The result is a nice warming bourbon flavor. Interspersed with the bourbon is the body of the beast: Blackout! Dark molasses, burnt toast and raisins, baker's chocolate define the moist stout. A subtle tartness pops up near the end of a sip, adding a twist before fading back to a bourbon finish. This is the best barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout (not American Double Stout, mind you) that I've had.

M: A near-perfect blend of bourbon and stout. Neither taste overpowers the other, instead they play nicely from the first sip to the last.

D: If you've got an '06 vintage laying around, it's drinkin' beautifully right now. The alcohol is present but never distracting and the bourbon-stout combo is a revelation.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Many thanks to my awesome brother-in-law Dave for hooking me up with this beauty! Pitch black pour with a one finger caramel colored head that fades quickly. The smell is over the top! Very complex with the bourbon as the star. I'm also getting some dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, espresso, and toffee. The taste is complex as well, with the bourbon once again dominant. Loads of oak and vanilla as well as dark chocolate, espresso, and a hint of cloves. This improved so much as it came to temperature. And the warming of the alcohol was really nice, but well disguised. Extremely smoothe and really scary drinkability, especially considering I had a nice buzz after just one bomber. Definitely one of those rare beers to just appreciate and enjoy slowly. Thanks again Dave!

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

2006 bottle acquired in a trade thanks to pabobcat.

A: Pours nearly black with small, but not insignificant tan head. The head eventually disappears completely without a shred of lacing.

S: Bourbon, boozy, chocolaty dark malts.

T: Exceptional flavor - really nice bourbon, not hot at all (perhaps because of the 2 years of aging), chocolate, vanilla. Not really any soy or molasses compared to, say, Dark Lord. A little sweetness, but not anywhere close to being cloying.

M: Medium bodied and carbonation that starts out feeling a tad light but finishes perfectly. Definitely not a crazy thick stout like Dark Lord or Darkness.

D: This is extraordinarily drinkable for a 9% stout. In fact, I am taking occasional double gulps, like Harry Carey drinking a cool Budweiser after eating barbecued spareribs.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at the brewpub during the mug club member release party.

A-Deep dark, almost black, brown with ruby highlights. Small tan head holds on and finally lets go to a rim of film along the edges. Spotty lace clings behind.

S-Present, but not overwhelming, bourbon notes with oak, vanilla, earth, tobacco and bitter chocolate swirling with roasty/toasty malt.

T-Mmmm, mmmm, mmm! A bif ole mouthful smooth, mellow oak aged bourbon. Vanilla and caramel malt sweetness are complimented by dry/bitter tones of chocolate, oak, espresso and tobacco. Alcohol heat certainly present but not offensive. All well supported by a healthy dose of roasted malt.

M-Medium-heavy body with a super smooth and luscious!

D-Big and robust...a brew with serious kahones! A beer that deserves more (shhh lets keep it to ourselves) hype. Who cares as long as I can get more in the future.

On tap at Zip's in Cincinnati

Appearance: Arrives in a snifter with a finger of ecru foam on top of the black liquid; leaves just a bit of lacing behind

Smell: Subtle hints of bourbon waft above the chocolate, vanilla and oak elements

Taste: Up front, the chocolate, bourbon and vanilla elements blend together with some fruit and licorice arriving at mid-palate; all the elements come together in the finish in a balanced fashion

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; very smooth

Overall: In terms of balance, this has to be one of the best examples of a bourbon barrel aged stout I have encountered; I was told it was a year old and the flavors have mellowed perfectly

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

pours black with a small light brown head, that has fairly short retention. looks viscous and leaves spotty lacing behind

roasted chocolate brownies, coffee, dark fruits, mild bourbon notes

very rich milk chocolate, with some coffee notes, some bourbon heat on the back end

medium bodied and carbonation, and viscous

overall the nose is great and got better as it warmed, the taste fallowed the nose it was great and got better and had more depth as it warmed, would love to get more bottles of this. thanks PittRooney for the trade

Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.