Alberta Clipper

Reviews by Hayes86:
3.93/5  rDev 0%

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 Oz brown bottle with excellent glbc style artwork. Forgetting the harsh winter and welcoming spring with open arms. Poured into a authentic GLBC stemmed snifter.

A - darkest of browns with dark ruby brown corners. Tan head pours quite nice leaving thin rings of stick on the glass.

S - roasted malt, dark chocolate, juicu ripe raspberries, and a GLBC porter like character. Superb

T - flavor is like those chocolate covered raspberry jelly truffles you get during the holidays. It's spot on. Bittersweet dark chocolate with hints of milk cocoa flowing about. Raspberry notes provide enough tartness yet remain incredibly fruity. Roasted malt and a nice sweetness to balance the bitter chocolate and raspberry tart.

M - medium bodied and carries an excellent texture. Thickness is as I'd expect from GLBC while remaining ridiculously drinkable. I seriously felt as though I could session this all day long.

O - what a fantastic release! I've always held Great Lakes close to my beer drinking ways, but this may be their best new rotating bottling yet. Sticks true to the great porter style while providing a great unique raspberry tartness and still finds a way to balance perfectly. Pick it up!

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Dark brown-black, average to light in color for a porter (like Edmund Fitzgerald). The tan head wasn't too impressive on pouring but it leaves a fairly resilient film.
Smell: Roasty cocoa that blends very nicely with fresh raspberry aroma.
Taste: The roasty notes in the nose are mirrored in the palate, going hand in hand with a bright raspberry acidity. Sweetness and hops presence are average for a porter.
Feel: Medium body, nice carbonation that goes well with the fruitiness.

Overall: It seemed strange to me to put out a spring/summer seasonal porter, but the raspberry addition gives it a fresh summery quality. The raspberry combines with the roasted malt much in the same way as it would with dark chocolate - it is very complementary.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I love chocolate and raspberry combinations and this beer is nicely balanced with those flavors. Not too sweat either. I am very impressed with the depth and combination of flavor. The feel is a bit thin though for a porter. Don't serve it too cold. Overall I am going to go get more just because of the flavor is what I love but price and the mouth feel is what lowers my approval of this beer.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

Best by 9/13. Poured 6/24 into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Had this at World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth last month, but I only had a tiny sip, so I didn't bother reviewing it. I remember it having very little raspberry presence, at least on tap. Let's see if I find it any different this time around.

Appearance: True to the style -- crystal clear ruby black/dark brown in color. Head is a quarter inch thick, creamy, and beige colored. Minimal lacing. Looks quite nice.

Smell: Pleasant roast, some chocolate, and subtle coffee. There's also a creamy sweet aroma in there that I, personally, don't really care for all that much... it just comes on a bit too strong. It's not quite a vanilla aroma, just sweetened milk or something like that. I'd prefer if that aroma weren't there, but oh well. There's also a very pleasant raspberry presence, thankfully. This simply smelling like a raspberry porter would be ideal, but by no means does that "creaminess" taint this beer.

Taste/feel: More raspberry than I remember, but still not at all over the top. Very nice balance of roasted malt and raspberry. No bitterness to sweet of, and a slight sweetness and tartness coming through thanks to the raspberry. That slightly unusual milkiness that I get in the aroma doesn't come through in the flavor, which I like -- it tastes like I wish it smelled. Though this beer says it is brewed with chocolate, I don't get any more chocolate flavor than I'd feel I'd get from a beer that just has a particular blend of roasted malts. Something unusual about this beer though is that for a split second when it hits the tongue, it gives me a little "dusty basement" or "wet trunk" vibe, but it goes away almost as quickly as it comes on. After that, it's just a nice blend of roasted malt (with an extremely slight smoke character), raspberry, and as it warms up, a bit of alcohol. The feel is slightly more creamy than I'd expect from a porter, but works nicely with the raspberry. Carbonation is moderate.

My biggest fault with Alberta Clipper is that, while the raspberry seems very well balanced at the start, as I drink on, the raspberry becomes a little faint. There's still a nice tartness brought on by the raspberry all the way through, but I wouldn't at all be mad to have just a little more of a raspberry flavor in Alberta Clipper. At the same time, I can appreciate a brewer who makes beers with accents of fruit, rather than making a beer taste like half fruit, half beer. For that reason, I'm giving Alberta Clipper a 4 overall.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz. bottle, with enjoy by date 09/13/2015. Another new one to me from Great Lakes. Acquired a single bottle from the local beer store.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - It pours a creamy chocolate brown body. Medium-thickness. Not opaque with some cola color showing near the surface. One finger of light chocolate head that doesn't stick around long.

S - A very interesting aroma for the style. Not so much chocolate or roast forward. The fresh fruity authentic raspberries steal the show. very fresh, fruity, floral, herbal, dirty, and earthy smelling.

T - Taste is a lovely winning combination of delicate milk chocolate and fresh fruity raspberries. Not so much tart, more juicy and fruity. Earthy & floral, milky & creamy.

M - The feel is smooth, milky, & creamy. Lingering raspberry fruitiness. Medium-bodied with excellent carbonation. Very easy-drinking stuff, especially for the moderate 7.80% abv. No alcohol detectable whatsoever. Very nice stuff.

Overall, a very nice marriage of raspberry and chocolate. Very delicious and easy-drinking stuff, though I don't know how many I could handle in a session. Recommended.

Great Lakes Alberta Clipper Porter -----4/5.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Its no Eddy Fitz

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Paid the price on this one $3.75 for the single. Into a pint glass.
A - Some ruby color on the edges but a very black porter. Good head on this one a 1/2 inch of deep mocha goodness. Lacing is nice.
S - Good bits of chocolate and roasty malts. Smells not too sweet with a touch of cherry...?
T - Ah I see the fruit aspect is more raspberry forward and it shows in the beer. Semi sweet chocolates, touch of hops, and a slight roasty twang. Good porter shows no dry finish which I enjoy.
M - Creamy medium bodied yet easy to drink.

Overall a great porter I will have to get my hands on more. Love when fruit is used right in a beer,

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

BBD 10/7/15. Pours dark brown to pitch black. Outstanding head volume, world class retention and normal lacing.

Moderate nose of chocolate, roast, caramel and a hint of raspberry.

Medium body with a smooth texture that has creamy moments. Superbly carbonated the a nice prickly effervescence from the middle on.

The flavor profile is almost world class. It needs a bit more intensity to achieve that status. It is reasonably intense, complex - but lacks clear flavor separation - and is perfectly balanced. It begins with a blended flavor that has chocolate and roast aspects that is a bit tart. The middle, also tart, produces a subtle bitterness over an underlying sweetness that is in perfect balance. As the finish approaches, the dark chocolate flavor finally materializes and yields to raspberry in the finish. A nice raspberry tartness lingers. Make the flavors really pop, add a bit more body and this one becomes world class.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great chocolate notes. Bitter-sweet dark chocolate. Fresh raspberry notes. Full body. Clean finish. A delicious offering for a wonderful brewery.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours pitch black with tan head. Slightly metallic aroma with notes of roasted malt and chocolate and a bit of tartness. Taste is chocolate and bitter coffee up front with a raspberry tart finish.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap. Look is opaque black with ruby highlights. Smell is roast malt and chocolate. Taste is more chocolate and malts and something I would describe as wine like. Reading other reviews I know this is the added raspberries. I might not have picked that out myself but I was on to that tart taste. Feel is smooth. The alcohol is present up front but doesn't burn very long. Overall a nice Porter but not my first choice

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

I had this on tap at the Great Lakes Brewing Company on 2/5/2011. This review is from notes.

I enjoyed this beer. It was very dark, with a reddish tint to the small head that dissipated somewhate quickly. The smell was chocolate and raspberry, like the description would suggest. It also smelled like roasted malt. The taste was similar to the smell, which was good, the raspberries really came through at first, and later on, I felt that the chocolate taste was stronger. This had a light feel, with a little carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer and comes recommended, but I had a pint of the Great Lakes Big Black Smoke afterwards, which completely knocked my socks off.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.82/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

L: Pours dark brown with a thin, tinely bubbled tan foam collar.
S: Grain, not a lot of roast, some chocolate notes, and a laundry kind of aroma that turns out to be raspberries.
T: Grain, raspberry and chocolate have a medicinal, solventy, chemical taste to me.
F: Medium body and carbonation.
O: This is my least favorite beer from Great Lakes. The raspberry and chocolate don’t quite work for me. They do not work well together and initially had me thinking that the beer lines were infected.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I could drink a 6 pack of this any day. A Porter with raspberries and fruit is hard to find. You get the carbonation, along with fruit, chocolate and do I taste caramel? Smooth dry finish and it goes down smooth. You don't taste the alcohol much on this heavy hitter. Dangerous.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow.....I like this one....it reminds me of the Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake form the Cheesecake factory.....or Graeters Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Ice cream.....HELL YEAH. The beer poured an opaque black with thin ecru head that is not lacing. The scent has great raspberry flare. The taste is where the chocolate is....as well as raspberry. The mouthfeel in medium with smooth carbonation. Overall.....YUMMY!

Alberta Clipper from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 590 ratings