Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Great Lakes Engine 20 Smoked Pale Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

3.58/5
Good

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by klewis on 02-19-2006

1.75/5  rDev -51.1%

1.75/5  rDev -51.1%

2.07/5  rDev -42.2%

A pour from the tap at TJ's during the Great Lakes Family Reunion Philly Beer Week event on 6/9/2011. Poured into a nonic pint.

A 1 finger head sits on top of a coppery orange colored body that is pretty clear. Not much haze in this one at all. The lacing is solid, as well, as some rings are interconnected by spiderwebby lacing, which fades even more as I get to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma...wow...sure there are some hops in there, and I can pick up faint aromas of bready malts, but this beer smells like smoked salmon. Straight up, no two ways about it. I guess I am intrigued, so even though I am slightly put off by the aroma, there is something that makes me really want to taste it. On the palate, I can't decide if this is better or worse. I am going to go with worse, since I couldn't get through the whole glass. The balanced pale ale is completely overwhelmed by the fishy smokiness that permeates every bit of this brew. This is a beer that if you didn't know that you liked smoked salmon, and you tasted the beer without ever having had the fish, you would love it. I can't disassociate the two, though.

This feels good on the palate, minus the off-putting smokey twang. Good carbonation, and medium to light texture put this at a good representation of what the texture should feel like for this style. Overall, I think I only drank as much of this as I did because it was intriguing. Not because it was good. I can't say that I would recommend this, as there are much better GLBC beers out there.

2.18/5  rDev -39.1%

On tap at the Beer Expo.

Poured a hazy amber with nary a head. Looked kind of dead aside from a few soapy bubbles. Oh dear me, who soaked leather and cardboard in beer and tried to carbonate it? Honestly, this is exactly what it smelled like to me. I wasn't impressed at all with this. It's like this pale ale had an identity crisis between being a pale ale an a rauchbier, but it took too long to decide what it wanted to be and got oxidized, and finally decided to just try a little bit to be a rauchbier, but ended up not going far enough to really make too big of a difference. Poorly carbonated and oily. Try again, Great Lakes, I know you can do it!

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

This smoky ale would probably go very well with some grilled sausage or brats...unfortunately, I didn’t have any of this food with me when drinking this. It poured to a rediish orange, with a good off-white head and excellent lacing. Aroma was slight citrus hops,. but mostly was predominantly smoky. The smoky accent carried over into the taste and finish as well, so much so that it was hard to pick out any other flavor.

Not my favorite Great Lakes beer.

3.16/5  rDev -11.7%

3.31/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a slightly hazy, dark golden yellow color with hazy straw edges and a one finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Get good retention with streaks of soapy lacing coating the glass on the way down.

Slightly smokey aroma with delicate earthy hops, pale malt and light fruit esters. Everything is pretty subtle in the noise with a touch of liquid smoke and BBQ followed by hints of bread, apple, pear and subtle floral hops. Somewhat bland but not offensive.

Medium body with delicate smoke and a crisp, earthy hop bite that provides some dry, lingering bitterness. Some grassy pine needle and dank floral buds with a touch of citrus sweetness. This is countered by pale malt flavors of biscuit and bread along with some light fruit sweetness. Some more smoke lingering in the finish. Wish it was heavier but this beer could be used as a good introduction to the style with a touch of campy smoke on the back end.

Great Lakes Engine 20 Smoked Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.