Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rye Of The Tiger IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Rye Of The Tiger IPARye Of The Tiger IPA

Style: American IPA

Added by cabsandking on 12-07-2006

Ratings: 1,599 |  Reviews: 268

4.43/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass over the weekend. Best by 7/14/14, so just under the wire.

Looking good, darker yellow coloring, small white head, very good carbonation with moderate lacing.

Nothing at all on the nose, except a faint sweetness. No spice or rye.

Upon sampling, it seems that the rye bit might have diminished due to being toward the end of it's shelf life. Having said that, it was very smooth, slightly sweet, with a very faint spiciness that coats the tongue.

Medium and soft on the tongue.

Overall, an enjoyable drink. Would be interesting to compare with a bottle fresh of the line, but don't shy away from one close to or just over it's BB date. Still an enjoyable beer.

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one came from the recently opened bottle shop at Weis Markets in Lititz.

From the bottle: "This kitty has claws. Named for its one-two punch of fierce hops and sharp rye content, our Rye of the Tiger India Pale Ale is a trhilling ale with bite, handcrafted for the fighter in all of us."; " Like tigers creeping through tall grass, hopheads will stalk this majestic golden brew, rising to the challenge of its bold flavor attack. Full-bodied and loaded with hops, our Rye of the Tiger iPA is brewed with rye malt, adding a spicy complexity to every sip. It's an ale meant to inspire feats of strength and skill, a worthy contender in the bout against the flavorless. If you can step into the ring with this hopped-up cat, you've earned your stripes."

I just finished a Rye APA, so a Rye AIPA should be interesting. I popped the cap and let fly with regard to my pour. This caused a pseudo-cascade which resulted in two-plus fingers of rocky, eggnog-colored head that slowly fell, leaving great lacing in its wake. The nose was much more peppery on this one, as opposed to minty in the other. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and of course, Midas, Mammon and Croesus showed up for a taste. I have better things to do than to cater to them, so I began to drink while they squabbled. Mouthfeel was surprisingly soft. There was an immediate hop bite on the tongue just before the rye kicked in with a cooling, minty blast. Once more, I would quantify the finish as breath-taking simply because of the mintiness that was inherent in the beer. Man, I was starting to feel like I had just played a quarter against the Bengals! I guess that I earned my stripes.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Rye Of The Tiger IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.99 out of 5 with 1,599 ratings