Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rye Of The Tiger IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Rye Of The Tiger IPARye Of The Tiger IPA

Style: American IPA

Added by cabsandking on 12-07-2006

Ratings: 1,599 |  Reviews: 268

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rye Of The Tiger IPA 6pk bottles $8.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. As always freshness date clearly marked.

Pours a nice gold color with a very subtle haze. A three finger head lasts for a while. Giving way to Soap bubble like lacing all over the glass.

The aroma is what a quality IPA should be. Strong grapefruits. Strong Citrus notes. With a nice piney surrounding.

Taste follows the nose. A blast of hops. Strong citrus notes and an excellent finish with pine. Smooth from start to finish. not very bitter at all for 92 IBU's.

Mouth feel is great. A full bodied IPA that leaves many tastes clinging to your palate. Great carbonation. Not bitter for an IPA at 92 IBU's

Overall this is another great brew from Great Lakes Brewery In Cleveland Ohio. Great IPA but I think its seasonal. First time I have seen it in over a year.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

From bottle to my Sammy Adams perfect pint glass...

A. Clear goldenrod with very subtle haze. Two fingers of head that quickly settles to a half finger of crisp white foam. Lacing washes over the glass like soap. Pretty.

S. Strong pine, tangerine, peach from the hops. Also a hefty amount of malt on the nose, with raw biscuit dough, grain, and yeast. The lingering notes are tangerine zest and cracked wheat.

T. Pine, tangerine, kiwi, and honey dew wash over the mid. A zesty, spicy dryness erupts on the back end and resolves to a clean, dry finish. The proper notes are hit here, and the flavors do not overstay their welcome. Quite a bit of complexity to this.

M. Quite complex for a Rye IPA. The malt and yeast share the stage equally with the hops. The ABV is well-hidden...while complex, Rye of the Tiger is reasonably easy-drinking. Balance and complexity are showcased well in this beer.

O. A very nice IPA from Great Lakes that exemplifies what rye malt can bring to the table. True to this brewery's style, this beer is balanced, easy drinking, and superiorly crafted. With enough dank to satisfy the hop heads, complexity to intrigue any beer fan, and an approachability that is the hallmark of Great Lakes, Rye of the Tiger IPA is worthy of your attention.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours more IPA than rye, by which I mean it looks like an IPA and not as red as other rye IPAs. The color is a clear medium gold with a creamy white head, so it's just what I'd want from an IPA. The aroma is pretty mild, but there are definite hop notes, floral and citrus. The taste is a little disappointing. It's muted and muddled, and for me, it just misses. I can't can't pick out any one or two flavors or even "hops" or "malt". I had this the same day I had Founders Red Rye IPA and the differences between the two were sizable. It was a little thin but had a nice silky feel and crisp finish. Maybe it's just me, but not a favorite.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear copper with a finger of head that stuck around for a bit and left nice lacing behind as it dissipated. The nose had notes of hops, rye and citrus. The flavor profile resembled the nose, but everything seemed just a bit muted.

This is a very good beer that could be great if the flavors were all just a touch more pronounced.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.81/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Very little head on this one, maybe a centimeter. Very nice lacing, small bubbles that dissipate quickly. Smells like a session IPA and the taste is much the same, but that rye flavor gives it that extra punch, mixing with the citrus notes in a very nice way. This also hides the alcohol, though you can tell it's higher than a typical session, which is what I would take from the citrus notes alone. It reminds me a bit of Hopdevil with a rye aftertaste. I really like this brew. I have been disappointed with a lot of IPA variations, wheat and black especially. I guess I'm a bit of a purist in this regard. The only variety I have really enjoyed is Belgian IPAs, and I would expect this, but this one took me by surprise. I bought it thinking "another IPA variation..." with some hesitation, but I can add this Rye P.A. to the short list of variations that I truly enjoy. Some Pittsburgh beer nerds say "The only thing good to come out of Cleveland is Great Lakes Brewery." I don't necessarily agree, but this is yet another brew to showcase their awesomeness. It's no Chillwave Double, though... I guess I am a purist, but I would absolutely recommend it.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite rye beers. It's an IPA but more subtle and complex than some rye PAs (Ruthless, for example). Hoppy, yes, but not in an explosive sense. The hops are nicely balanced with the the spicy rye quality. The rye comes out with a bit of warming. I like Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale and Commodore Perry IPA but this is much better and is super drinkable at 7.5 ABV.

2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rye Of The Tiger IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.99 out of 5 with 1,599 ratings