Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Great Lakes Conway's Irish AleGreat Lakes Conway's Irish Ale

Ratings: 1,527 |  Reviews: 500
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really good! Hardly any aftertaste. Tried at TJ Stones in DC

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured from a bottle to a Great Lakes pint glass.

This is a beautiful beer, very pure red in color and a small frothy head.

Overpowering aroma of sweet malt. Smells like butterscotch.

Not nearly as sweet as it smells, but just right. Good and malty with just enough hops for a good bite of a finish.

Goes down smooth and easy. Great Lakes never lets me down.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer. First Irish ale I've tried.

4.73/5  rDev +24.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has light amber honey color with very good clarity. On top it forms a big creamy off white colored head. The head slowly fades but hangs on well and make cool rings of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is mostly sweet with hints of lightly roasted grains, bready yeast, light hops and some mild fruit notes.

Taste/Mouth Feel: Its flavor has a good solid medium body with a sweet malty character that is tempered with just enough leafy hops for some balance. There are notes of bread, light caramel malt, orange marmalade and mild hops. The palate is smooth, slightly slick and easy drinking with mellow carbonation.

Notes: I love Great Lakes and this is one of my favorites. I also converted my mother and step father to craft beer with this Irish Ale! How cool is that!!!

4.73/5  rDev +24.1%

Brewed with Harrington 2-row, Crystal 77. Hopped with Northern Brewer, Hallertau, and Fuggle.

6.5% ABV, 25 IBU's, OG=14.5P.

Slightly cloudy deep caramel with a touch of ruby accents, forms a whipped dark beige head with very good retention and solid sheets of lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is pleasant with abundant crystal and biscuit malts, a touch of roasted barley, toast, nuts (akin to Fat Tire), and a touch of butterscotch. Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a creamy, medium body. Excellent mouthfeel. Taste begins with a ton of toast and biscuit, some excellent (German Noble?) spicy flavor hops perfectly in balance with the abundant malts...the malt body is luxurious with wonderful residual sugars...a tiny wisp of alcohol, and a very nice roasted and toasty finish with mild bitterness.

First off, I am not a fan of Red Ales, but this is the best Red Ale I've ever had...bar none. This sets the standard for all others to follow in the category, and is everything I want in a red. Amazingly drinkable, I could put these back all night long. Reminds me to a certain extent of Fat Tire with the wonderful toast and biscuits. I absolutely love this stuff and it will become a regular addition. Amazingly balanced and rich, without ever fatiguing the taste buds. Another amazing brew from the alchemists at GLBC! Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

Bought at Frugal Homebrewer and drank same day of purchase. Poured into thick stein glass.
Beer smells very malty, and toasty. There is a background of hops aroma hid well behind the malty intensity. The aromas are very welcoming to the style, but unclear as to what style.
Its appearance is ruby-red orange and when poured, a one finger head was left atop the beer. That faded to a thin head throughout the drink.
Wonderfully malty and toasty this beer is. I will not hesitate to say this is the best red beer I have tasted. Its alcohol strength works perfectly with its robust toastiness and crisp taste. The hop flavors are right there with it, not hiden too well and blending very well with the slightly roasted, again toasty, biscuity flavors.
The mouthfeel is great and fresh. I would say it is a medium-bodied beer, and it fits perfectly with its style. GLBC has really hit the mark of the aspect of the brau, could not be better, for my taste at least.
The drinkability is very good. It fills the mouth up quite a bit with flavor but that flavor is full, and desirable. I might have to keep some of this ready for St. Patrick's day.
Overall this beer is one of the best red ales I have tasted. Eggerton's (spelling?) red ale is also a mentionable one to try if you can get your hands on it, though it is stronger and more assertive than this one. I stand by on my rating of this beer, very high!

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%

The beer pours a nice copper color with a creamy half finger of head. The aroma is quite sweet and malty. The flavor has a good bit of caramalized malt and grassy hops. It has a heavy mouthfeel and prickly carbonation. This is quite different than I was expecting in a good way. I would deffinately get a sixer of this to share with friends.

4.61/5  rDev +21%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It pours an amber color, almost orange with hints of copper. The head is off-white and about an inch and a half, falls quickly to a top coating and small ring. There is a decent amount of lacing.

The smell is well rounded. There are scents of apple, caramel, pineapple, and puff pastry. You can say it smells like a caramel-apple danish.

The flavors are light but good. Pretty much follows suite with the nose. Apple, caramel, and pastry. The pastry notes are much more evident on the palate and tongue.

Very pleasant mouth-feel. Light to medium body with a nice dose of carbonation. Slick and pleasant.

This is one leaves you begging for more. Very refreshing, nice flavor, easy on the wallet, no bite, and easy to find. Dam near perfect.

I cant believe this is my first time trying this beer. The cop on the label must have scared me.

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nice sunset orange/red color with an off-white froathy head. The smell is sweet, flowery, and clean. The taste is wonderfully complex. The malts are big, lending a great toasted flavor. The hops are used sparingly, just enough to balance the malt and still make their presence known. A hint of caramel and citrous fruit gives extra complexity. A noticeable spiciness is also present. This light and refreshing brew disappears quickly, I should have bought an extra 6 pack.

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

If I had to choose a favorite session beer, a beer that I could finish off multiple bottles of, this would be it. Far and away the best Irish red I've tasted. To the masses, this is like an intense Killian's. To the longtime BA's, it might be similar to a weakened Scotch ale. I really like this one.

It's color is a nice amber red. The head is sturdy and lasting with good lacing. The flaovr seems a bit tipped towards sweetness and malts, but that's a good characteristic in my book.

I've been on a quest to try as many different brews as possible and in so doing I only buy one or two bottles of each kind. Conway's Irish ale is a brew I'll be buying in sixpack formation, for sure!

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have liked this beer for sometime. I started homebrewing about a year ago. I tried to brew my first Red Ale as close to this as possible. Dark reddish hue, not a very aromatic beer. It doesn't smell bad, just doesn't smell much at all. I found it to be very filling. A sweet & heavy taste. I have always liked Red Ales as my favorite style & flavor. Living in Cleveland makes it a disappointment that this brew is only seasonal. I would drink this all year if I could.
CHEERS
CM~2013

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a wonderful looking tawny ruby brown, soft ropes of carbonation do their best to hold up this well worn looking head which subsides rather quickly into a soapy lace.

The aroma is a true accomplishment in brewing, a wonderful aroma coming from any beer and simply heaven for the style. Initially the aroma is slightly citrusy with notes of grapefruit being the easiest to distinguish then moves/melts into a remarkable malty essence. I knew I've smelled this before and I've finally put my finger on it, this beer smells like a piece of fresh toasted bread spread with a thin layer strawberry preserves, not even Southern Tier could top this with their next creation. I could smell this every day, all day, they should pipe this aroma into anywhere such things can be piped to.

Soft carbonation makes me contemplate the flavor of this beer. Not as quite straightforward as the aroma but close. There is a slightly sweet hop fruitiness in this beer that is easily balanced with remarkably fresh cereal grains. I could go on about this beer but then I wouldn't be drinking it any longer. It has pretty much everything I like in a beer, hops that are not overly done, malts that are not overly sweet, a nice dryness that makes me yearn for another sip and a mouthfeel that reminds me more of a cask ale than a bottle of soda. Go out and get this stuff while it's fresh.

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I first tasted Conways several years ago I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Since then, every winter these become available and quickly disappear from Northeast Ohio retailers' shelves.

It's a special brew, with a smooth, drinkable character. I hope to drink these until I go to my grave. The color and clarity are second to none.

I think I should go out tomorrow and try to find some more before they are gone.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: beautiful copper color. Slight head, maybe about a half, to three-quarters of an inch. Little to no lacing. A lot of activity in the way of carbonation.

Smell: malty smell. It's nice. Not bold, not underwhelming--seems to have the right balance.

Taste: malt character up front, smooth finish with a residual hop flavor that creeps up to the back of the palate. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: very well rounded and smooth. It's pleasant to hold in one's mouth. It seems to have a sort of wholeness. I find it extremely enjoyable.

Drinkability: it's at this point in the day where I love to kick back, sip a beer and think. This beer is great for that. It's not boisterous or bombastic--it has a particular laid back quality where you just want to casually sip it with a good meal.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's head is three fingers thick and off-white, with solid lacing, and a clear deep reddish brown body.

I smell full bodied grains and malts.

Tastes like caramelized malts with tealike notes.

Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation.

I'll rate Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co. with an overall 4.5.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.