Chillwave Double IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Chillwave Double IPAChillwave Double IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Formerly known as Alchemy Hour Double IPA.

Added by CaptCleveland on 02-17-2013

Reviews: 489 | Ratings: 3,240
3.54/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sampled the other day at the Apothecary Alehouse in Morgantown.

Not terrible, but very much a "mehhh..." DIPA. At least for me, this beer is a bit too sweet and isn't nearly hoppy enough. Alcohol is more noticeable than I would prefer as well. Can't see myself ordering this one again any time soon.

3.54/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark copper. Smells of some fruitiness (orange mostly), but a heavy honey sweetness. The beer is thick, but not chewy. The taste starts with some mild orange peel, but is quickly washed away in sweetness (honey sweet rather than sugar sweet) with an underlying bitterness. Finish is alcohol heavy and unpleasant.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: What one would expect from a DIPA, copper/burnt orange color with a moderate to above average amount of carbonation throughout. Finger-finger and a half of carbonation on the pour.

Smell: My favorite part of this brew. Pine, lemon zest, limes, faint pineapple, bitter hops, and a honey/malt sweetness. Very bright and floral, the bite of the pine and hops really stand out. The honey undertones really remind me of Hopslam.

Taste: Hmmm..., sweetness on the front which quickly gets swamped by a strong pine bitterness. The citrus zest from the bitter hops comes on just too strong for me. Many of the nice undertones get buried. A sweet aftertaste is mixed with with a light alcohol sting. Interesting but overall not overly complex.

Mouthfeel: You can definitely feel the honey sweetness but a lot of tart hop dryness. Not a palette destroyer though.

Overall: I've loved most of the products I've had from Great Lakes Brewery, but this one is not a favorite. Neither Commodore Perry or this were anything to get too excited about. There are a ton of DIPA's out there these days and I would recommend a few others.

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A little too caramel malt for my tastes but I see why people really enjoy it. It doesn't feel like a 9% DIPA and the fruits mix well with the hops and malt. Has a small head and about an amber color. Picked up a single since Great Lakes is a company I'm interested in knowing more about but yeah this isn't the flavor I'm particularly looking for in my IPAs.

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into a pint glass. Best before 5/11/14.

Look: beautiful orange. Pretty minimal head, but ample bubble action.

Smell: really not getting much. Very muted citrusy notes. Or maybe soap. Mostly dominated by what I can only describe as a kind of off note.

Taste: holy crap—oversized flavors on a couple fronts. First: sweet. Really, really, really sweet. Second: tropical fruits. Mango, papaya, pineapple. I've never been to Jamba Juice, but I would believe that this was some sort of spinoff product of theirs. Tasty, but "IPA" is pretty low on the list of things I'd guess I'm drinking when I taste this. Did I mention that this is really, really, really sweet?

Feel: pretty pleasant. In a really, really sweet kind of way.

Overall: I wish I could rate this higher, but I've had honey that was less sweet. I won't rule out the possibility that this lost some character in transit, or that my palate is fatigued, but this just doesn't do it for me as a DIPA.

3.67/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Meh. Glad I got to finally try this, but I don't think it really lived up to the hype for me. Very okay and would probably have again, but won't actively seek this out.

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep orange, rusty, amber color with a light khaki head that builds and stays lacing great down the glass. Subdued aromas of honey, citrus, pithy and floral. Bitterness stings up front, slight citrus, sweet honey like backing all the way through. Sharper and dryer than I'm used to for this style. Bite of carbonation all the way through. Put this one on the, I don't quite get it list. Nothing really stands out in this beer. It's good, nothing more.

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a pale amber with little to no head. Aroma isn't crushing me, but reminds me of fresh tropical fruit. Big grapefruit notes. Flavor is more vegital than I expected. It's clean, but so clearly different than any IPA I have tried recently. Some tangerine maybe, but once again, vegita to a degree. Hints of caramel malts. Not a huge amount of bitterness. Has the making of an American BW, but refuses to go there. At time I flat out love it and at time I flat out hate it. This is one of the single most interesting beers I have tried.

Overall, this is certainly a seek and find beer. Maybe the hardest beer I've had to rate

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz.

A: Pours a pretty mandarin color with a small white head.

S: Orange candy, grapefruit, apricot jam, light grass and toffee.

T: Leafy bitterness, juicy and resinous citrus pith, vanilla, dry cracker malt, bitter in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: A good DIPA for when you're in the mood for something resinous and bitter.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my tulip from a 12 oz bottle that has a best by date of 5/ /13.

A-Poured a nice deep golden color with great slightly off white head. Has some nice lacing as I drink. Retains a nice quarter inch head.Kind of hazy look. Hard to see through my tulip. Might even have a few floaties in there.

S-Nice hops, strong bitter smell. Almost a strong gasoline smell, but in a good way, if that makes sense. Not the best smell for a DIPA.

T-Bitter, sweet, grapefruit, dry, orange. Slight malt taste on the finish.

M-Has a very good feel for this style. One of the best things about this beer. Very full bodied, and easy drinking, although I find myself sipping this beer more than drinking it.

O-Not a bad beer at all. Very interesting. Very bitter and dry, but sweet. Fairly smooth, acts as more of a sipper DIPA. Pretty balanced with the sweet, but has a nice malty finish. I actually enjoy this beer more as it warms.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opened on 4.29.13
Best by: 05/08/13

A - Pours a cloudy dark orange with a one inch light tan head with good retention.

S - Dank, dark orange, hoppy pine, a touch of carmel malt.

T - Sweet biscuty malt, ripe orange.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body and a touch of bitterness.

O - Balanced and not overly hoppy. Sweet bready and orange.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard branded silver pressure cap and appealing label art acquired in a trade with the very generous Surlytheduff and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. "Double India Pale Ale." Best before 05/21/13. 9.4% ABV confirmed.

"Best served at 45 degrees F." Served right around there - straight from a cooler. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige/light khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, fair froth, and good (~5 minute) retention. Body colour is a bright vibrant tangerine/pale orange. Semitransparent. Translucent. Love the colour and the head. This appearance stands out in comparison to other imperial IPAs. Lacing is thin and uneven. Quite appealing for the style; I'm impressed. It's hard to differentiate appearances; this isn't quite unique but it's certainly special. Head is soft and froty with a milky white complexion on its top. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Citrusy fruity estery hop character is magnificent here; mango, grapefruit, even a bit of orange. Nice nectary hop character as well. Juicy. Pineapple. Tangerine. Grapeskin. Light hop oils. Passion fruit. Grassy and pale malts form the body, with a dash of caramel. Zesty and appealing. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. A moderate strength aroma. I'm really intrigued; the hop character is not at all what I'm used to, but it really works.

T: Hm. Lots of fruit action here; mango, tangerine, orange, a bit of pineapple, maybe kiwi, and really tame grapefruit. Lovely floral hops complement the pale and grassy malt body very well. A touch of oily and nectary hop character, but no pine or anything like that. Zesty lemon pops in the finish. Incredibly well balanced. A dash of milky caramel is present; I'm not too fond of that - it's too redolent of a barleywine and takes me out of the beer for a moment. Nectary honey adds a special touch. This is a very well built brew; no hop bitterness comes through at all. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Really impressed with this one, but that said it could use a bit more complexity and subtlety. Still, the balance alone sets it apart. The sweetness is a touch too high here - something I only notice as I drink more and more.

Mf: On the softer end. Smooth and wet. Not too oily. Good thickness. Full body. Near ideal carbonation. Complements the flavour profile quite well.

Dr: A powerfully fruity imperial IPA with a magnificent balance. Hides its alcohol very well. I'd definitely get this one again; this is a solid effort from Great Lakes. Very drinkable and enjoyable stuff. I could happily drink a few of these in the same evening.

High B

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Used to be a fruit bomb but has gotten somewhat cloying and sweet over the years. Was once my favorite DIPA. Had this enormous tropical fruit nose and taste. Now it's a pretty solid beer with fruit notes that get pulled back by a malty sweetness.

3.74/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Best by May 5, 2013.

Pours a dark, clear copper amber with a cream, off white dense head with excellent retention and streaks of lace. Nose is filled with resiny and leafy NZ hops, green and raw with little malt detected. Flavor unfortunately takes a dive with a strong sweet bready malt base, citrus juice and a tame hop profile with minimal bitterness in the finish. Resiny and chewy medium thick body, well carbonated, but just... ick. The sweet malty and green tasting body without much bitterness is a turn off.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance
Copper, clear, 2 cm head when poured, consistent carbonation throughout.

Smell
Sweet, floral and piney/honey

Taste
Hits more towards back of the tongue and roof of mouth, a bit sweeter than balanced.

Mouthfeel
Light, pops a bit I guess…

Overall
Solid beer, not great enough that it would be at the top of my list for a pick when sitting down for a strong double IPA.

3.77/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour from recent batch nice fluffy white head solid good lacing and well carbonated. Nose is sweet malt, mango, alcohol and a touch of resin. Taste is vegetal, bready and boozy. The strength of the beer overshadows the hop profile which is a shame. Mouthfeel is great for a DIPA with great bubbly medium-high mouth coating. On the whole I am continuously let down by this one. I had it when it was released under another name and a few bottles of this year's and think the flavor is just a disappointment. I would not grab this on tap even if it was same day fresh.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Proof that beer ratings don't always sway the palate, I went into this one super excited only to leave disappointed. While not a bad beer by any stretch, it isn't a 95 in TheIPAHunter's® book. Picked up two 4-packs prior to my fantasy baseball draft and left 6 of them in Pennsylvania to be shared by others who may enjoy the flavor profile more than me. You get hints of Mosaic hops in the nose and the taste, but the malt addition is a bit too much for my taste. I believe this was done to drown out the ABV and, while it works, it's to the detriment of the wonderful citrus notes that Mosaic hops can provide. Glad to have tried, but won't be seeking this one again in the near future.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Wanted to weigh-in on this beer since everyone is flipping their gaddam lids over it and I want to set the record straight.

The beer pours a light honey color with some amber in the mix. It looks really nice in the glass and has a great clarity and nice head retention.

The smell is, well, interesting. The Mosaic hops lend some nice melon and mango notes, along with some stone fruit. There's a major flaw here, though, as some cooked veggie notes lurk behind the hops. Yes, this beer has mild DMS.

The taste makes up for the flaw in the nose and has real promise and punch. There's some bright hop notes, citrus and no wild cattiness. However, compared to beers like Fat Heads IBUsive IPA, which also feature Mosaic, the utilization of the hop seems one-dimensional. There's very little breadth of flavor, almost like there was more of a big addition as compared to a hop-burst in the brewing process. The malt base is decent too, practically invisible - anyone saying this is "bready" must be drinking a different beer than I had. There's the signature Great Lakes yeast in the finish that totally KILLS the possibility of this being "world class" and, instead, puts this squarely in the "well, at least it isn't Lake Erie Monster" camp.

The mouthfeel is a bit slick and there's a huge alcohol note in the finish.

Overall, this is a good beer but people here are acting like Great Lakes redefined the IPA. I love West Coast style IPA's and this can't hold a candle to the real-deal WC IPA's out there - Bad Boy would kick this beer's pansy ass. Poor Man's makes this look downright indigent. Again, I'm glad to see Great Lakes taking their portfolio in more of a new school direction, but this is just a good beer, not a game changer and certainly not a 4+.

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very sweet DIPA. Almost syrupy. I see the very high reviews for this and wonder if I got an off batch, but I'm not in love. I get very little hop presence. Nothing offensive, but not a beer I would get again.

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a nod to the hectic freshwater surfers of the great lakes, this imperial ipa would warm any winter warrior after just a bottle. thanks to thebrewo again for hooking this up in a wonderful trade. the pour is a honey color with an amber hue, thick looking, and very clear, with less than an inch of off white fizz that settles to a thin film relatively quickly. the nose is oily resinous hops of course, and sweeter residual sugar notes, caramel malt, and plenty of sturdy alcohol. the booze is really quite intense. the flavor starts out with a lush fresh cut cactus sort of vegetative and refreshingly cooling hop profile, very unique before the fruity esters creep in. more malt body than expected, also on the sweeter side, sort of stopping the refreshment in its tracks. bitterness is not huge in this beer until well after the swallow, where it sort of crawls out of the throat and back onto the tongue, drying me out a little. cool complexion of flavors here, but the booze stands out too much. its just too strong, even for the style. it makes it more like a beer with a shot of middle of the line vodka dumped in, not quite offensive, but bordering on it in my opinion. I think it detracts rather than adds. mouthfeel is fine, and the lively carbonation cuts through some of its massive almost gelatinous body. I would rate this higher, but the alcohol intensity is a drawback for me, it takes away from an otherwise extremely impressive offering from great lakes.

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-orange amber color with a cream-colored head and good lacing

S-oranges, pineapple, pine, herbal and earthy, caramel malt

T-orange,sweet caramel malt, pineapple, pine, earthy, moderately bitter finish

F-medium body with light to moderate carbonation, smooth and a little viscous

O-has some good flavors, but just too much sweetness for my liking in a DIPA

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Amber. Very orange-y. Uuummm. Not very pretty. Like, one of those (what's that birth stone that's that color? Amber? Is it amber?), I dunno that ugly birthstone that is amber color.

S: Grapefruity with some snot.

T: Plain to grapefruit taste. ALL IN ONE SIP! You can really feel it on the outside of your tongue; like a big dong on a Friday night. Like a good once a night beer.

M: Luscious and thick like an Italian man.

O: It won't give you a headache.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Brunt orange color

S-Citrus...oranges...some tropical fruits as well...sweet fruitiness

T-Citrus again with the oranges...some lighter tropical notes...good spalsh of spicy alcohol....backed by a biscuity maltiness with that trademark GL yeastiness evident

M-You can tell this has some ABV to it...a little hot....good sturdy body....

O-To be honest I was hoping for more than this. Solid but flavors are bit muddled...a bit too much sharp alcohol notes....citrus not as bright as expected...Not in the Abrasive/Surly Sucks/Hop Slam tier in my opinion but solid enough. I bought 12 of them without trying it first so I will certainly still be enjoying this in the future.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: Arrives clear and amber off the tap, with a nice head that leaves some decent lacing hanging around

Smell: Mango, grapefruit and pineapple, with undertones of caramel and honey

Taste: Caramel and honey forward, with pineapple, mango and grapefruit; builds in sweetness through the middle, though the bitterness is also present through the finish; quite boozy, with the sweetness lingering

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and medium-full bodied; warmth in the gullet

Overall: There was a time that I would have liked this better but I now view this as a powerhouse DIPA from a different time; the sweet malt and readily apparent booziness are turn-offs now

3.86/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a clear, deep, orange-amber with a clean, white head that settles slowly. Some evident booziness comes out in the aroma, alongside strong notes of grapefruit, pine, and some faint, crackery malt. Lots of hop-bitterness are delivered by a medium-full body that washes over the palate. Grapefruit rind and pine seem to overpower any evident malt. Though a good example of the style; given a choice, I'd take a Lake Erie Monster over Alchemy Hour.

Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.