Chillwave Double IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Chillwave Double IPAChillwave Double IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Formerly known as Alchemy Hour Double IPA.

Added by CaptCleveland on 02-17-2013

Ratings: 3,309 |  Reviews: 506
3.54/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sampled the other day at the Apothecary Alehouse in Morgantown.

Not terrible, but very much a "mehhh..." DIPA. At least for me, this beer is a bit too sweet and isn't nearly hoppy enough. Alcohol is more noticeable than I would prefer as well. Can't see myself ordering this one again any time soon.

3.54/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark copper. Smells of some fruitiness (orange mostly), but a heavy honey sweetness. The beer is thick, but not chewy. The taste starts with some mild orange peel, but is quickly washed away in sweetness (honey sweet rather than sugar sweet) with an underlying bitterness. Finish is alcohol heavy and unpleasant.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: What one would expect from a DIPA, copper/burnt orange color with a moderate to above average amount of carbonation throughout. Finger-finger and a half of carbonation on the pour.

Smell: My favorite part of this brew. Pine, lemon zest, limes, faint pineapple, bitter hops, and a honey/malt sweetness. Very bright and floral, the bite of the pine and hops really stand out. The honey undertones really remind me of Hopslam.

Taste: Hmmm..., sweetness on the front which quickly gets swamped by a strong pine bitterness. The citrus zest from the bitter hops comes on just too strong for me. Many of the nice undertones get buried. A sweet aftertaste is mixed with with a light alcohol sting. Interesting but overall not overly complex.

Mouthfeel: You can definitely feel the honey sweetness but a lot of tart hop dryness. Not a palette destroyer though.

Overall: I've loved most of the products I've had from Great Lakes Brewery, but this one is not a favorite. Neither Commodore Perry or this were anything to get too excited about. There are a ton of DIPA's out there these days and I would recommend a few others.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A little too caramel malt for my tastes but I see why people really enjoy it. It doesn't feel like a 9% DIPA and the fruits mix well with the hops and malt. Has a small head and about an amber color. Picked up a single since Great Lakes is a company I'm interested in knowing more about but yeah this isn't the flavor I'm particularly looking for in my IPAs.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into a pint glass. Best before 5/11/14.

Look: beautiful orange. Pretty minimal head, but ample bubble action.

Smell: really not getting much. Very muted citrusy notes. Or maybe soap. Mostly dominated by what I can only describe as a kind of off note.

Taste: holy crap—oversized flavors on a couple fronts. First: sweet. Really, really, really sweet. Second: tropical fruits. Mango, papaya, pineapple. I've never been to Jamba Juice, but I would believe that this was some sort of spinoff product of theirs. Tasty, but "IPA" is pretty low on the list of things I'd guess I'm drinking when I taste this. Did I mention that this is really, really, really sweet?

Feel: pretty pleasant. In a really, really sweet kind of way.

Overall: I wish I could rate this higher, but I've had honey that was less sweet. I won't rule out the possibility that this lost some character in transit, or that my palate is fatigued, but this just doesn't do it for me as a DIPA.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Sorry guys but I could tell right away this was a malty dipa.. Def not my sweet spot.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

This is a very fruitful and pine tasting beer. Bronze color with a full flavor and feel. Overall a very hoppy and fruity taste.

3.64/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Meh. Glad I got to finally try this, but I don't think it really lived up to the hype for me. Very okay and would probably have again, but won't actively seek this out.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.