Great Lakes Holy Moses | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Holy MosesGreat Lakes Holy Moses

1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

2.1/5  rDev -45%

First, let me say I am a GLBC fan and of witbier, but not ofHoly Moses. My nose sent off warning signals when I took a whiff, but it looked good in a pilsner glass. There was not one distinctive taste that jumped out at me, but the overall spiciness was too much. It felt smooth in my mouth and throat, but the aftertaste was not refreshing. I would never drink this again.

2.14/5  rDev -44%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

I don't know what happened here. So far this is the only Great Lakes brew that I tried and didn't love. I'm sorry but it just wasn't good...at all. Citric acid taste. Sour lemony flavors. There are tons a flowery notes to go along with it. I didn't enjoy this one and could barely finish it.

2.38/5  rDev -37.7%

This beer pours a cloudy, bright, almost neon yellow color with a small head and a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was full of citrus with hints of yeast. The taste was very strong and quite spicy. The wheat portion came through strongly, but it was overpowered by the spiciness. I really didn't enjoy this beer much and had a little trouble finishing it.

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%

Got this from a bottle from a GL Sampler pack with a best by date of 3/26/08 into a crystal weizen glass

A - A dark golden color, which is rather hazy. I don't know if this unfiltered or not but there is some thick haziness sitting around in the liquid and looks like strings of something is just sitting there below the head. A decent amount of carbonation is dripping up the sides and the Head is big, puffy and leaves a ton of lacing.

S - smell is mostly citrus along the lines of a slight orange and lemon and also a hint of coriander. Also a slight hint of banana sweetness and also has the characteristic wheaty smell that is seen in the style.

T - hmm, first I have to note that I find this kinda watery in body and even taste. Taste has a slight bananay aspect to it and also a bit of oragne and yeast. However, the overall impression is that there is not too much taste at all but instead just get water. Do get a bit of a nice aftertaste which is a light spice and might have more taste than the beer itself.

MF - as noted above, find this to be rather watery and not too much carbonation at all. I am used to witbiers having a ton of carbonation that attacks your mouth and adds something special to the beer. Have to say that here the body actually ruins the taste and makes this a worse beer.

D - it is drinkable in the same way that Bud is drinkable. It is smooth and not really there. I would definitely not look for this one again and have to say that overall this is so far my least favorite of all of the GL beers that I have had. Usually this brewery makes me want more and more but here they leave me not wanting another one at all.

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance- hazy gold.

Smell- bitter sharp.

Taste- fruity and very bright. Has an awfully big bight that doesn't let up.

Mouthfeel- thick and round.

Drinkability- hard to drink. Much to bright and bitter. The combination between this and the thickness of the brew makes it a task to get to the bottom.

A good full flavored brew. Defiantly a sipper not a quencher.

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: Straw yellow color, with a white and foamy one finger thick head. It has a fairly good amount of retention as well. The lacing is quite thick as well

Smell: Has a light spice smell, also hints of citrus maybe orange. Has a great hoppy smell too

Taste: A very sweet wheat flavor that has hints of citrus as well. The taste is very similar to aroma in this case

Mouthfeel: Has a very frothy feel, with medium carbonation. Has a very nice crisp feel to it as well

Overall: Not much here to this beer, has a good feel and color but other than that it leaves a lot to be desired

2.56/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was a boring and surprisingly mediocre beer from Great Lakes. It smelled and tasted like overripe fruit and had no standout qualities what-so-ever. As a beer it’s not too bad but as a Wit one of the worst examples that I have tasted. I’m going to stay away from it and hope that Great Lakes will stop making it. They’re one of my favorite breweries and it saddens me to know that they make a beer this average.

2.57/5  rDev -32.7%

A - Frothy white with one full inch of ripe head. The body is golden orange with a bit of haze and full of carbonation.

S - Soapy and grainy aroma.

T - Bitter hop flavor into a smooth apricot taste. The finish is a bit pungent in an uncomfortable way.

M - Starts watery and moves to a coarse texture on the outside of my tongue. The finish adds an abrasive feel to the roof of my mouth.

~ As far as a wheat beers go this is a unique in it having a srong bitter flavor. This is not a classic wheat brew. It's not bad but it's not for me.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First impression when pouring this beer is "thin" compared to other summer wheat beers. Smell has some interesting floral aromas, but again faint and not attention grabbing.

Taste was interesting in some ways, but again "thin" and with a grainy mouthfeel. Very lacking when compared to one of my favorites, Oberon from Bell's Brewing in Kalamazoo, MI. I had 3 bottles from the 6 pack and gave the others away. Usually I love Great Lakes Brewing offerings (Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness) but this one left me unimpressed.

2.71/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Eh eh eh eh eh

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Enjoy by Sep 6, 2005.

Cloudy lemon yellow. Thin ivory white head. Lace is adequate. Dull smell of stale malts and over-ripe lemon. Dull taste as well. Can't find the spices. Just some stale malt tones and slight lemon tones. Nothing bright about this one. I just had the Lake Louie Farmhouse Wit and this is on the total opposite of the spectrum when it comes to wits. Louie being the absolute best and this being one of the worst I've had. My first disappointment from Great Lakes in a long run of very solid brews...

Thanks for this sample Cokes. (But moreso, thanx tenfold for the Louie Growler...)

2.75/5  rDev -28%

Great Lakes Holy Moses from Great Lakes Brewing Co.