Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked PorterGreat Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter
3.91/5
Very Good

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BT_Bobandy on 05-20-2013

2.92/5  rDev -25.3%

With all due respect, not good. Someone else mentioned something about being brewed with old rubber. That is spot on. Smells like a ball of rubber bands. I admit, my expectations were high given that these 2 breweries make some of the best porters in existence, but this is a big miss in my opinion. It does taste better than it smells (thank God) but nothing that would make me buy it again. In fact, I would probably turn it down for free. I am being objective when I say that it is a stretch to rate this as "OK", which is shocking. Looks like I am being harder on it than everyone else maybe? Just baffled. Maybe I had a bad bottle...

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Great Lakes Smoked Porter

Look 8/10
Smell 17/20
Taste 29/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 15/20

Overall 77/100

Wasn't a big fan of this... While it had a perfect amount of smoke taste, there's was an unusual 'band aid smell' type taste' like old rubber was used to brew it. Drinkable and all... However, I may keep a bottle unopened just cause I would almost rather have the keepsake than the sub par taste~

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Great Lakes / Deschutes Class Of '88 Imperial Smoked Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.