Steam Whistle Pilsner | Steam Whistle Brewing

Steam Whistle PilsnerSteam Whistle Pilsner

Steam Whistle Brewing
Ontario, Canada

Style: American Pale Lager

We believe that world-class results require focus and dedication, so we developed a distinctive recipe for our single brand based on Europe's renowned brewing standards yet is brewed fresh locally at our independent, Canadian Brewery.

We use traditional brewing techniques and only four natural ingredients including spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast - all GMO-free. There is a fifth ingredient in every refreshing bottle, and that is the passion of our dedicated Brewmaster and staff.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2002

Reviews: 142 | Ratings: 422
2.94/5  rDev -14%

Taster at the brewery in downtown Toronto
Appearance: amber, clear, medium foam
Aroma: malty, not a lot of aroma
Taste: low bitterness
Feel: tart
Overall: good beer, one of the pilsen I appreciate, very refreshing
Drank: 8/17/2016 2:00PM

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This is a very well crafted version of the American Pilsner, with a lovely golden color, clear, with a white body. The nose is of sour grain, typical mild hops, and the flavor is smart clean cracker, a bit of sweetness in the middle, and a bit of bitterness in the close. Highly drinkable, everything is in its place. Not my favorite style, but well done.

3.06/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I'll purchase it a few times a year, like to support the local guys. Nice Pilsner, not too hoppy, doesn't smell the best though. Overal nice beer, but really not worth the price in Ontario.

3.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I really don't understand the fuss about this beer (and why it's $18 for a 6 pack). Just a really average Pale Lager without the corniness of an AAL (and some pretty decent grainy flavours).

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Everyone LOVES this pint. I don't see the big deal. It's good, it's fresh. Doesn't taste like preservatives or yeast like a macro-brew. But I just found it slightly boring.

3.12/5  rDev -8.8%

I had this beer as a taster at the brewery itself. It hit the spot to be honest, as a simple yellow beer. Perhaps after a hot day cutting the grass and working outside, definitely yes. As something I crave on a daily basis, no.

looks like water, smells like a skunk, tastes like it smells, feels like drinking skunk water.

I will say this, to be fair, in a can or on draft, it scores a 0/5, in a bottle, it's at least a 1/5, for a Canadian pilsner, I'll take a King, or Collingwood pilsner any day over this, or Sawdust City's Little Norway, 3 far superior pilsners.

3.96/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From Canada, ive bought a huge spectrum of beers, and surprisingly in Canada, if you buy cheap you taste cheap. Canada is really overated for beers, but steamwhistle along with beau's gives me some hope. Steamwhistle has not much a smell, but the taste is somewhat decent hoppy,floral like, with a nice smooth grassy taste throughout, you get a lot of nice mouthfeel. I don't get the whole notion of it having a watery taste, its not overly rich which is perfecttt on a summer day when you know youre having multiple beers. I gotta say personally, this stuff puts heineken, to shame , it felt so watery after experiencing the steamwhistle. Way to be guys, i needed a good weekend beer i could drink in numbers, this fits the ticket perfectly, plus its non-gmo, so I like they;re taking pride in the brewing process from seed to glass.

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%

Look: In terms of style, the Steam Whistle Pilsner is true to a Czech Pilsner. It is dark gold and produces a one-finger head which vanishes after a few sips. The natural carbonation is very low.

Smell: The microbrewery behind this beer didn't try to make me believe that the aromas are akin to any given fruit, spices or woods. I'll give them that. To my surprise, the skunkiness in the smell is weak even though the beer comes in a green bottle, which lets light in.

Taste: Nothing special. According to the microbrewery, we are supposed to feel some grassiness. In actuality, drinking this feels like buying a bottle of natural spring water at the grocery which has been made bitter with some hops and malt. Lagers or pilsners are just not my type.

Feel: The only detail setting this bland beer apart from other industrial lagers and pilsners is the lingering bitterness in your throat after a sip.

Overall: I reiterate that lagers and pilsners are not my type. This is the worse Canadian craft beer I have tasted. If the brewer's objective was to make an easily drinkable beer, then kudos to him or her. It is just an upgraded version of a lager or pilsner because of the lingering bitterness in your throat. This is the last time I drink this.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Don't forget to take a tour of the brewery located in a old railroad roundhouse. You don;t have to take a tour to get a free small sample of Steam whistle Pilsner. But if you do take the tour ($) you get to drink a 12oz bottle while taking the tour. at the end you get to chose between a glass or bottle opener . i think most went for the glass.

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

I'd really like to say that this is about the best lager I've had from Canada, to start. It's very mild in flavour, with modest hoppiness and a crisp grainy flavour. This is my absolute go to lager and I strongly recommend trying it.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

500ml can into nonic pint. "PKGD APR 14/15" on the bottom of the label. served to myself on april 24, 2015

a: transparent golden yellow with three fingers of white head

s: sweet grainy bread, slight floral hops and maybe some apple scent

t: sweet honey and white bread all the way through, with a light-to-medium hop bitterness at the end. no off-flavours

m: light-bodied but not watery. carbonation is less than moderate -- i would like a bit more

o: a fine pilsner, will be a go-to for me at ontario bars with mediocre tap lists

2.84/5  rDev -17%

Clear golden yellow. One inch of white head that became a ring. Little carbonation or lacing.

Mild bready aroma with a grassy Czech hops.

Mild taste. Slightly steely hops and faint malt taste.

Light feel. Watery.

This is a lightweight lager. Not a good example of a Pilsner. The hops were just too low.

Poured from a can on a Porter flight. Big, strong, dry biscuit flavor and mildly astringent hops. Not particularly memorable, but could be refreshing in a hot day. But man, that branding really makes one think they're drinking a Rolling Rock.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours with a decent head that leaves a bit of lacing behind. Carbonation is light but steady - it's a decent looking beer. There is nothing "off" but nothing amazing here. It is a solid, understated pilsner. The dry finish leaves a lingering hop taste in your mouth - nothing overbearing, but definitely fuller-bodied than most mass-produced beers. This is a nice, sessionable beer, likely best enjoyed on a patio, at a backyard gathering or on a camping trip.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Purchased at The Beer Store for around O$2.80 for a 473ml can. Served at 5deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens ok and pours all right.

S- Not much there at all

T- See above.

M- Ok at best

O- Typical mass produced beer. Frankly this rating is better than it deserves

Food Pairing

This ok pilsner goes well with any food you want to eat with Bud

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It has been a while since my last confession. Oops, sorry I meant to say my last review :p
See: This beer looks pretty darn good.
Smell: I smell beer!!
Taste: Taste like a Black Jack game on a Thursday night back in 1991. Great Canadian Casino rocks the fort!
Mouthfeel: Numb, because I had a Faxe 10 before this review.
Blanket: I think this beer would go good anywhere, mostly because it makes my heart fly like an eagle. I am also hearing the birds singing!
PS: Must follow a can of Faxe 10 :)

2.61/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 500mL can into a pint glass. The look of the can makes me think that this is the Canadian Rolling Rock -- we shall see!

Appearance: medium golden hue with a light effervescence and no haze. Head pours two fingers of pillowy white foam that has decent retention. Not too bad!

Smell: quite grainy, and it seems there's even a little skunk present -- unusual since this is a canned beer. There's a bit of cooked corn aroma in there, too, which does detract from the overall effect. I mean, the style doesn't ask a lot, but cooked corn should not be on the list.

Taste: quite corny, with a little malt sweetness and a light bitterness. I thought this might be the Canadian Rolling Rock -- actually, it's worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a bit of carbonation and an OK foaminess. Not creamy and delectable, not prickly and refreshing, but at least it's not flat.

Overall: I'm a bit disappointed here. Other ratings aren't so bad, but for me this beer is too corny to be really worthwhile.

3.94/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Light, straw colour. Exactly what I want from a Pils. Thin, bubbly head, dissipates quickly leaving soapy top.

S - Fresh, crisp & clean, ever so slightly grassy.

T - Slightly citrus, fresh and cleansing. Touch of bitterness to the finish to provide crispness. Very little lingering aftertaste. A little one-dimensional for flavour, but I think that's the point.

M - Light feel, although touch of creaminess. I really like the carbonation - feels just right for Pilsner.

O - Crisp, clean and light tasting Pilsner. I drink this all year round, sometimes one or two, sometimes a good many more.

1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

I do not understand the fascination with this beer. Locals in Toronto all point to it as an exemplary craft beer. I find it barely drinkable. I think I heard a story that the owner of the brewery is a local celebrity. I also think he came from one of the major breweries.

If I didn't really want a beer on my Porter flight back to Chicago, I would never touched the stuff in the first place. thinking that it might have been in a bad mood that day, I ordered one up to give it a second chance. I was right in the first place. This is NOT a good representation of a growing craft beer scene in Ontario. It's a shame that government controlled monopolies get in the way of opportunities for consumers to try new beer. This is also a poor example of a Pilsner. You are just as good drinking an AB-InBev product like labatt blue.

feel: leaves an unpleasant after taste
taste: no real hop taste and very light malt

thank goodness the Porter light isn't very long.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Absolutely my go-to beer for any occasion. I love the retro-ness of the entire company and the beer is great. Clean and crisp, Steam Whitsle pours the colour beer should be. The taste is pleasant, not too hoppy not too malty. I find it tastes slighty better out of a bottle than out of a can but maybe thats just my imagination. I always have a twelve of this in my fridge among a mixture of other Ontario Craft Beers.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

I was offered this in a can as a free drink on an internal flight. Ryanair, take note.

Firstly, it had surprisingly good carbonation, even at whatever height in ft. we were in the air, which gave a good head and and lacing that sticks fairly well to the glass (yes, a real glass in an airplane).

The aroma was very grassy with a similar grassy, lemony or peppery taste balanced by a biscuity backbone. A very nice tasty beer with a bitter base and nice hop flavour.

3.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark yellow/tree sap with two or so fingers of white foam. Aroma is subtle biscuit and weak apple juice, little to no hop aroma. Palate is sweet cornbread with a touch of noble hop spice. The hops do exert a subtle wintergreen effect on the palate. A bit of baker's yeast. Quite sweet for a pale lager and admittedly enjoyable on this level. Fairly dry finish and the hops do assert themselves a bit as you go. No frills North American pale lager, non-offensive but not distinguished except for being sweet for the style.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml can from LCBO for $2.85 CDN into a pint glass.

Appearance - Beautiful golden color that is very clear is poured into the glass. It is one of those beers that looks crisp even before tasting. 1 finger of head that recedes quickly, leaving some soapiness on top. Quite a few bubbles continuously flow to the top throughout the consumption.

Smell - Grainy smelly, some bread. Malts and hops are detectable but faint. Some grassy notes as well.

Taste - Bready, little bit of spiciness which is surprising. Balanced between hops and malts is nice but they offset each other to an extent that neither is dominant.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation and smoothness. Watery in that your thirst will be quenched, but not too thin either. Dry finish with a significant lingering aftertaste.

Overall - A very nice Pilsener that makes me keep wanting to go back for more.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Serving Type - 500ml can poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance - Pours a straw/golden colour, crystal clear with a moderate amount of carbonation visibile. Two fingers of soapy, sad looking white head linger for a few seconds and fade away.

Smell - Grains and cereal and grains and more grains. Some extremely light floral bits as grassy notes are in the mix as well.

Taste - Some faint hop bitterness up front, followed by grains and cereals and light floral bits. Just like the nose, only better.

Mouthfeel - Very light body, medium carbonation and an extremely crisp and satisfying end.

Overall - 3.25/5

Steam Whistle Pilsner from Steam Whistle Brewing