He Said (Baltic Porter) | 21st Amendment Brewery

He Said (Baltic Porter)He Said (Baltic Porter)
3.72/5
Good
He Said (Baltic Porter)He Said (Baltic Porter)

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Availability: Fall

Added by Can_if_you_can on 10-03-2013

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last
3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall, a nicely done pumpkin porter. I wouldn't call this a baltic porter, as i think it misses the mark on the mouthfeel and body.

It has a nice richness to it, not quite baltic, not quite english porter. The pumpkin and spices complement the notes of dark chocolate, roasted grain, and faint coffee.

Overall a nice mix of flavors, enough to keep things interesting. With this coming in a 4 pack and 2 of each style in the 4 pack, I'd easily grab one or 2 four packs a year around fall.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

Generally: I lived in the Baltic for two and a half years, and in that time I drank a boatload of Baltic Porters. This tastes like none of them--they tend to be a lot sweeter and more pungent--but I am down with the label. It tastes like a beer made by people who like Baltic Porters but who also recognized and tried to correct the shortcomings of the style; BPs give mad hangovers. If there were ever such a thing, this would be a brisk approximation of a Baltic Porter--that is, a brisk interpretation of a style of beer that is meant to f$#! you up when it is 30 below zero. At 8.2% ABV, 21st is doing pretty well.

The Pour: This beer is gorgeous, pulchritudinous, fetching, foxy... in the glass. Burnt mahogany with a surprisingly lively carbonation. A very nice caramel head with long lingering legs.

Face in the glass: It's a little one-note here; I get a face-full of coffee with some nice toffee/caramel notes, but it doesn't go anywhere. Closing notes of wet stone, which actually makes my mouth water.

Temperature: I began this adventure at 46 degrees. We're now at 53 and I am starting to like it more. It's not rocket science, chill hides nuance.

With Regard to Taste: With a nod to the Baltic temperament, I will keep this brief. Very dry. Beautiful toasty malts. Excellent, clean alcohol. It gets sweeter as it warms up--shocker!

Epitoma: There's not much to critique here. While it is not like any of the dozens of Baltic Porters I have had--they tend to be sloppier and clumsier--I feel like it is a tenable articulation of what that style should be/could be. (the warmer it gets, the more it reminds me of baltic porters)

Note: This beer loves food. Spice and fat. Eat something spicy and fatty and drink this. In the Baltic, it is traditionally pork (usually sausage) and cabbage/potatoes. You will be surprised how good that combination can be. I lived on it for 28 months, and was happy to have had the opportunity.

Serving type: Bottle 12 oz

3.46/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

He Said Dark, Baltic-style Porter brewed with pumpkin and spice. 8.2% ABV.

Appearance: Okay! Almost spilled over. About 2 fingers of slightly brown head. The beer is black, with hue of brownish-red when held up to the light just so.

Smell: Nice roasted malt on the nose. A slight pumpkin spice, and even less actual pumpkin.

Taste/Mouthfeel: It has a very smooth texture on the palate. A good amount of roasted malt, bordering on coffee. A very subtle hint of pumpkin.

Overall: While fairly good on it's own, I don't think it stands up so well as a pumpkin ale (er, lager). Oh well...

12 oz. can, poured into a pint glass.

4.65/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can in teku

A- pours dark cola brown with a nice two finger bone head
S- lots of milk chocolate, sweet malt, cinnamon, pumpkin, chili scents
T- starts with a roasty chocolately malt, cinnamon, sweet pumpkin, lots of smokeyness, dark fruit, earthy, I get some
M- thinner than it looks because it's so dark but very enjoyable
O- impressed with this, it's nice and smokey, which was expected of the style, the pumpkin is not in your face, it takes a back seat to the porter flavors. This is a nice change from your run of the mill pumpkin brown ales, it is complex and delicious.

Had to go back and bump this rating up, this is one of the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. Period

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, canned on 09/09/13. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a couple inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like chocolate, cinnamon, pumpkin spices, dark bread and caraway. It tastes like cinnamon, caraway, chocolate, pumpkin, nutmeg, roasted malt and a bit of licorice. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating with a moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this brew, definitely worth a try. $8.99 a 4-pack (2 cans of the He Said Baltic Porter, 2 cans of the He Said Tripel).

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz can poured into a Chimay goblet.

AP: Pours a deep rich very dark brown colour, only a couple shades off of black. Solid and thick looking. Not a big head on this, only about 1/2" of light tan fluffy foam that dwindles to 1/4". Light lacing on the glass.
AR: Heavy baking chocolate aroma with some espresso in the background. Not getting any pumpkin aroma in this and the spices (nutmeg, allspice) are very faint. The chocolate is the dominant scent though I do get a little of black bread, dark fruit (fig, raisin) and molasses buried under the chocolate. Smells nice, but I do hope the flavour doesn't reflect the nose and I'll get more of the other flavours and not just mostly chocolate.
T: Have to say, I'm not impressed with the flavours on this. They seem watered down in the mouth, nothing like the aroma. And they aren't in balance, they are all over the place with each flavour running around on it's own. No structure to speak of here. The chocolate is fainter than the nose and mostly makes it's appearance at the end. There's a bit of roast at the fore and middle. I'm getting some kind of metallic taste as well that's off putting for me. This is rather disappointing.
M: Like the flavour, the body on this is watery and way light for an 8.2% Baltic Porter. Carbonation is moderate, no creaminess which I'd expect some from the style.
OV: Mediocre effort far as I'm concerned. The look and nose were solid so I've no idea where they went wrong with this. Body and flavours were just too watery for me and really let me down here. Their He Said Tripel was very good, so I don't understand how they got this one wrong. I think they should scrap this one and just brew more of the Tripel.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.83/5  rDev +29.8%

A: pours with a medium light body, crimson black in color with a 2 inch thick quickly dissipating khaki head
S: has depth of aromas, the pumpkin spices definitely come out more abundantly with this one, along with some strong roast malt to help with the balance.
T: I like when a beer taste like it smells when its something with a more substantial flavor and complexity, I also like when a beer surprises me with pleasant flavors, which this one does greatly .The taste is spot on with the aromas, pumpkin spiciness with some allspice, nutmeg, cardamom but not overpowering by any means, balanced perfectly by the roasted malts (i'm not a big fan of pumpkin beers either) but then there is an awesomely surprising slight but apparent smokiness!? reminds me of a perfect fall night around a campfire with friends which would be wonderfully glorious while drinking this liquid gold. awesome.
M: same as the "he said" tripel, pleasant, low carbonation medium body.
O.A. definitely like the Baltic porter much more than the tripel in this four pack but like I said, I love the idea of two completely different beers in a single four pack, its like a mini sampler! love it!

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last