Double Trouble IPA | 21st Amendment Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Jason on 08-27-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at the lovely the 21st Amendment pub during the 2004 Strong Ale celebration.

Beer arrives with a low head, light bubbles on top of a bright orange body with a light hop haze. The head laces and sticks to the glass like spider webs.

Aroma is all things domestic citrus hops. The flavor is fruity with an intense sweet orange oil and a spicy malt character hiding just below the surface.

Flavor is a start of intense hop followed by a strong caramel and a biscuit malt. The bitterness pulls a fading act, but considering the mountainous heights from which this beer starts that's a good thing.

The finish is spicy and warm with a growing alcohol warmth that comes straight on down the throat and all the way to your toes.

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

Tasted at the 2004 Bistro Double IPA Festival. Medium gold color. Large white foamy head. Aroma is fruity and sweet. A medium bodied Imperial India Pale Ale. Malts are fruity and sweet. Hops are grapefruity and citrusy. Nice strong malt backbone, Nicely balanced, but tending to the malt side a little bit. Somewhat bitter and crisp finish. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is bitter.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

(My first review)

This is a great IPA. A deep amber color. Very powerful, both in alcohol content and in hop aroma. This is what I think of when I think of West Coast-style ales. At 9.5 percent, though, I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot. I had it as part of their beer sampler.

I asked the bartender at 21st Amendment what hops were used. He didn't know, but went and asked a brewer! How nice. They use Warrior, Cascade and Tomahawk, if memory serves me.

Too bad I was just visiting San Francisco. If I lived there I'd drink this ale frequently.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last