Toaster Pastry | 21st Amendment Brewery

Toaster PastryToaster Pastry

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

India-style Red Ale that uses Calypso & other experimental hops.

Added by ThatsThatDude on 08-07-2015

A: Pours a rich amber color with a foamy, white head.
S: Toasty bread and sweet fruit, a lot like the eponymous toaster pastry, maybe a mixed berry variety.
T: Follows the nose. Warm, toasty bread and sweet fruit, followed by a crisp hop finish that's not too overpowering.
M: Hearty but smooth. A little thick, sort of like jam. Not overcarbonated- goes down easy.
O: Excellent. A truly beautiful beer. I love it. It was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Very close to nugget nectar, delicious beer!

4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

Well balanced

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Looks great! beautiful reddish goldish hues with a huge smell of tropical sugary frutyness reminiscent of strawberries. Huge bitter piney notes up front clashing with a doughy toasted caramel sweetness and a tropical fruitiness with the strawberry flavor comes out in the aftertaste.

I love the fact they came up with a perfect name for the taste so you can finally sum up the flavors instead of just deconstructing them into a description. It really does taste like a toaster pastry at times with a strawberry filling. Very delicious beer and impressive for having no fruit. Great choice of hops in this one! Thanks 21st amendment this may be one of your best beers.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

The best Red Ale so far. This is the perfect taste of a lot of malt and a medium bitter hop at the end. Awesome from begging to end. I will be buying again.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

I love being the CANmander of The CANQuest (tm)! Miller Lite now speaks of doing what you want when you are an innovator & I have certainly been innovative as far as CANned beer is CANcerned. Tonight, I have the same beer, but in different serving sizes, both in a CAN. Does size make a difference? We shall see.

From the wee CAN: "Our first beer out of our new brewery is an homage to its former life as a toaster pastry factory. Biscuit malts give the beer a slightly nutty, crust-like flavor, while Pale and Dark Crystal malts create the mouthfeel and flavors reminiscent of strawberry jam. Calypso and other experimental hops give this ruby ale a welcome bite, plus a few more in the hop back for a toasty-sweet aroma."

I Crack!ed the little guy open and CANmenced an inverted Glug. This got me two fingers of puffy, foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had both a minty, piney hoppiness and an emerging caramel sweetness. Did I just catch a whiff of strawberry jam in there? Mouthfeel was medium. It was like a riot of flavors in my mouth! It truly was truth-in-advertising as I got a light nuttiness, some strawberry, a little pine, biscuity/breadiness and light mint. The cool dryness of the finish was utterly refreshing. Every inhalation following the swallow felt cool and minty. Mmm mmm mmm. Good stuff!

Now, let's bring out its big brother in a tallboy and see what he has to say. Sumbi**h is like a slimline tallboy! 1 pint, 3.2 oz. Hmmm.

Samey-same verbiage.

I truly love a good Crack!, but this one inspired me to actually attempt an inverted Glug! S**t! It came rushing out at me like it was under pressure from behind, forcing me to back off. The result was two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head that glared at me, defying me to make another move. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose was really pronounced here, with notes of mint, strawberry, rising dough & pine needles. Drool! OMFG. If you are a hophead & this does not rev your engine and peg the tachometer, you may need to CANsult your physician at the first opportunity. It was as exciting to me as the first time The Doll gave me an amateur prostate screening/finger wave mid-stroke! Whee! Mouthfeel was medium. Is "pungent" a taste descriptor? Jeeezus H. Keeerist, but this tasted like everything that the CAN mentioned, plus a bag of dank, some onion & garlic, a slice of dark bread and the lattice off of one of my grandmother's pies. Ever have a lattice-topped pie? The lattice dough bakes very differently from the rest of the pie. Seasoned bakers know how to really get a beautiful golden-tan from it, but I am not one to reveal trade secrets. Hint: buy a paintbrush. Back to the beer. Man, this was the shizzznit! The mélange of flavors lingered well after the swallow & I simply sat back & let the experience wash over me. It was reminiscent of the first time that I drank Victory B.C.'s Hop Devil & had an epiphany - I am a hophead! This was so much better than being a chipping, maintenance drinker. This was tie off, cook up, mainline kind of hophead drinking. The cool mintiness of the finish was so mellow that I could hardly think. What was it that Lewis Carroll wrote about "a diet of treacle"? I am becoming a navel-gazer off of this one. Dig the groovy scene, daddy-o. Hey, man, CAN I snag a ride to the nearest CANmune? Dig it, baby! Hop on my sled & let's moooove! C U rill soon, kats & kitties.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Shockingly tasty! I heard about this brew on a video - and they hate everything! But they liked this one. Pop-Tart beer, I thought, gross! But the accolades from the vid got my attention and within a week I was belly at the Bar at 21st Amendment with a CAN of beer in front of me. I don't love the color, it feels a little festive and a little phony, but I loved the roasted grain and hops medley. Still, I was disappointed that 21st Amendment didn't have it available on tap.

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

pours a reddish brown with a thick white head.

smells like citrus. clearly a hoppy red ale. caramel malt and sweet hops.

tastes like sweet fruit with some slight caramel. hard to put my finger on it. has a nice hop zip to accompany the red ale-ness of it.

goes down very smooth, has a different kind of finish but not in a bad way. it finishes sweet and dry.

overall this is pretty good! nice hop bite for a red ale, something i could drink a lot of. would not guess this is 7.6%. will also admit i don't get the "pop tart" taste, i do taste strawberry jam though. i can see that for sure. pretty good beer, would love this in a 6 pack!

my first 21st Amendment beer and i will definitely try more from them. totally impressed, and i'm able to buy a good amount of their beers in my go-to store.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Golden Reddish...perfectly clear.
S: Grainy, slightly vinous (fruity), C' Hops
T: Grainy and caramel meets hops. This is really a tasty beer!
F: Nice and smooth!
O: Really solid Red Ale/IPA. I really liked it a lot. The one knock is the price point. If it were lower, it would be a regular buy. Overall, worth a shot.

4.51/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

The nose starts with big resiny hops and some pine and wood aromas but a definite nutty, slightly sweet pastry crust aroma floats around behind the hops. The hop aromas are medium to medium high while the toasty malt aromas are medium low. It pours brilliant copper amber under a 2.5" cream colored foam cap with a slight copper tint. The cap is lacy and persistent. The palate starts with sweet toaster pastry crust with biscuit, hints of caramel, traces of stone fruit and nuts but quickly gives way to a an assertive bitterness that rides right through the finish. The flavors are complex and layered but nicely balanced. The malt is medium to medium high but the bitterness is medium high to high. Toaster Pastry leaves a long bitter finish that lasts and lasts. High praise to the brewer for concocting a beer that evokes toaster pastry with big hops and having it work so well.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Toaster Pastry | 21st Amendment Brewery. Poured from the can into a pint glass, this brew's got a two finger thick light tan head, with solid lacing, and a clear deep reddish brown body.

I smell caramel malts with citrus and tropical hops.

Tastes like a bitter strawberry Pop Tart, straight up.

The mouthfeel medium with mild carbonation.

I'll give Toaster Pastry | 21st Amendment Brewery a rating of a 4.5. I'd definitely pick this up again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

-garnet red, off white finger head
-Like strawberry preserves, and sweet malt
-sweet malts up front, then ripe fresh berry, and a citrus hop
-Creamy, smooth, cant believe this this over 7% abv

-very good. I loved this beer

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25