Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Toaster Pastry | 21st Amendment Brewery

Toaster PastryToaster Pastry
3.94/5
Very Good
Toaster PastryToaster Pastry

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

India-style Red Ale that uses Calypso & other experimental hops.

Added by ThatsThatDude on 08-07-2015

3.42/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2.03/5  rDev -48.5%

Dark amber with a tan, moderate head.

Lots of bready caramel, tons of pine both in taste and smell, super bitter and spicy, finishing harshly dry.

Just yuck.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

This was a solid red ale. I expected more fruity hops and more sweetness based on the name but what I got was a strong tasty red ale. Fairly bitter with toasty caramel malts. I do get a hint of berry if I'm really looking for it. yb

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Toaster Pastry brewed by 21st Amendment Brewery, with an ABV of 7.60% This brew pours out nice light brown color with a nice off white head. The head to this brew sticks around. Really liking the look of this red ale. The smell of Toaster Pastry is rich with hops and roasted sweetness. There are some nice roasted grians and malts in the smell of this brew. The look and smell of this Red Ale are very inviting. Nothing bad so far, now on to the taste. The taste of Toaster Pastry is Bold but , rich with flavors. You first pick up on hops, then the roasted grians and malts. There is also a mild sweetness to the taste of this brew. You also get a nice amount of lacing in the glass. Toaster Pastry has a lot going on in it. I really like how smooth goes down, there is nothing overpowering about this brew at all. This is one red ale has a real nice balance to it. It is also hard to pick up on the 7.60%ABV in this brew, it is just that smooth. The mouth feel of Toaster Pastry, is Bold , Rich Hoppy , smooth and refreshing. Overall I'm giving Toaster Pastry a 4.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. If you are looking for a hoppy Red Ale look this one up . 21st Amendment Brewery, did a super nice job with this one.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Amber colored with an inch of creamy tan on top. This beer has little opacity partially due to the darker color and partially due to a bit of cloudiness. Light lacing. I smell amber malt with hints of caramel. I'm tasting some amber malt, caramel, a subtle nutty note, and some piney hops. The mouth lightly oily and dry.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

3.94/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Dark amber color with a frothy off white head that is 2 1/2 fingers in depth.

S: Lots of tropical fruits in the aroma; papaya, mango, pineapple as well as strawberry preserve.

T: The sweetness of the the pineapple, mango and papaya come through first in the taste. Then you get a wave of strawberry preserve/jam. The beer finishes with the same tartness/funkiness that you would find in a flanders red ale. There is a very slight presence of biscuity malts which helps to moderate the sweetness of the strawberry preserve and the tartness at the back end.

O: Very interesting and well crafted beer.

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Color of candy caramel

Consistent resilient head

I'm really trying to taste anything sweet or sugary. The best I can do is a dark strawberry. Mostly I'm tasting a woody something that I appreciate but don't love. If someone bought this for me, fine. Otherwise, I'm moving on.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

I love being the CANmander of The CANQuest (tm)! Miller Lite now speaks of doing what you want when you are an innovator & I have certainly been innovative as far as CANned beer is CANcerned. Tonight, I have the same beer, but in different serving sizes, both in a CAN. Does size make a difference? We shall see.

From the wee CAN: "Our first beer out of our new brewery is an homage to its former life as a toaster pastry factory. Biscuit malts give the beer a slightly nutty, crust-like flavor, while Pale and Dark Crystal malts create the mouthfeel and flavors reminiscent of strawberry jam. Calypso and other experimental hops give this ruby ale a welcome bite, plus a few more in the hop back for a toasty-sweet aroma."

I Crack!ed the little guy open and CANmenced an inverted Glug. This got me two fingers of puffy, foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had both a minty, piney hoppiness and an emerging caramel sweetness. Did I just catch a whiff of strawberry jam in there? Mouthfeel was medium. It was like a riot of flavors in my mouth! It truly was truth-in-advertising as I got a light nuttiness, some strawberry, a little pine, biscuity/breadiness and light mint. The cool dryness of the finish was utterly refreshing. Every inhalation following the swallow felt cool and minty. Mmm mmm mmm. Good stuff!

Now, let's bring out its big brother in a tallboy and see what he has to say. Sumbi**h is like a slimline tallboy! 1 pint, 3.2 oz. Hmmm.

Samey-same verbiage.

I truly love a good Crack!, but this one inspired me to actually attempt an inverted Glug! S**t! It came rushing out at me like it was under pressure from behind, forcing me to back off. The result was two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head that glared at me, defying me to make another move. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose was really pronounced here, with notes of mint, strawberry, rising dough & pine needles. Drool! OMFG. If you are a hophead & this does not rev your engine and peg the tachometer, you may need to CANsult your physician at the first opportunity. It was as exciting to me as the first time The Doll gave me an amateur prostate screening/finger wave mid-stroke! Whee! Mouthfeel was medium. Is "pungent" a taste descriptor? Jeeezus H. Keeerist, but this tasted like everything that the CAN mentioned, plus a bag of dank, some onion & garlic, a slice of dark bread and the lattice off of one of my grandmother's pies. Ever have a lattice-topped pie? The lattice dough bakes very differently from the rest of the pie. Seasoned bakers know how to really get a beautiful golden-tan from it, but I am not one to reveal trade secrets. Hint: buy a paintbrush. Back to the beer. Man, this was the shizzznit! The mélange of flavors lingered well after the swallow & I simply sat back & let the experience wash over me. It was reminiscent of the first time that I drank Victory B.C.'s Hop Devil & had an epiphany - I am a hophead! This was so much better than being a chipping, maintenance drinker. This was tie off, cook up, mainline kind of hophead drinking. The cool mintiness of the finish was so mellow that I could hardly think. What was it that Lewis Carroll wrote about "a diet of treacle"? I am becoming a navel-gazer off of this one. Dig the groovy scene, daddy-o. Hey, man, CAN I snag a ride to the nearest CANmune? Dig it, baby! Hop on my sled & let's moooove! C U rill soon, kats & kitties.

Toaster Pastry from 21st Amendment Brewery