Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brew Free Or Die IPA | 21st Amendment Brewery

Brew Free Or Die IPABrew Free Or Die IPA
3.86/5
Very Good
Brew Free Or Die IPABrew Free Or Die IPA

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: American IPA

BREW FREE! OR DIE IPA is brewed with some serious west coast attitude. This aromatic golden IPA starts with three different hops to the nose, quickly balanced by a solid malt backbone supporting the firm bitterness. Our top selling beer at the pub, this IPA starts big and finishes clean leaving you wanting more.

Added by oggg on 11-17-2004

Ratings: 3,266 |  Reviews: 928

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours pale gold with a nice white head. Clean, fragrant hoppy note upfront.

A bit of resin and pine needle, with a round, citrus hop bite. A bit of citrus peel and flowers. Malt is on the bready side and has a bit of caramel, and most importantly, compliments the hop profile well. Bitterness helps carry the body through. Crisp and relatively clean finish for a medium-bodied IPA.

In a land of more IPAs than one can reasonably ask for, this is quite good. The new can packaging is pretty cool, too. I'd like to try this with some Indian cuisine.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.82/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is a really nice golden ale with 3/4 inch head. Poured into my Southern Tier Pint(wannabe) Glass.
Aroma has a whiff of cascade, and a lot of bready malt, I like the malt aroma alot, but I'm missing a comparable amount of hops.
Mouthfeel is really nice, smooth, not a lot of resin, like I normally like, but very smooth and enjoyable. Next to appearance (which I don't put alot of faith in), mouthfeel is definitely the high point for me.
As far as taste, I'm finding this balanced, but more like the malt isn't really up to the task, so the hops are phoning in some bitterness without a lot else...maybe an old can? No cardboard, but I'm not finding the high points that the Bros' review gave. Not anything near terrible, perfectly fine and acceptable, just not anything bowling me over, either. I think I need to try this again, another can might taste better, but I'm really budgeting right now, and I allowed myself two single cans tonight (this and a different beer), these are the only beers I've had this week, and neither one is living up to being worthy of the only two beers I've had this week. I've got to allow myself a RuinTen soon.
But I'll amend this if I try it again and have a different opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good IPA. It's much milder than a lot of the heavily hopped beers that are popular right now. This has all the earmarks of an IPA while maintaining a very high drinkablitiy. I could drink a six-pack of this, no sweat.

A--Pours a light honey bourbon color--it looks a lot like the bottle of Evan Williams that's in the cabinet. It foamed pretty good when I poured it, but that settled into a thin cap of head that has stayed throughout the drinking. There's no substantial lacing.

S--Pine and orange and fermentation.

T--A crisp but moderate pine resin and grapefruit.

M-Wet and light, not viscous at all. The carbonation is mild. If I didn't know better I'd think I was drinking a hopped wheat--This is what I wish Boulevards Hoppy Wheat had tasted like.

Overall this is a very well balance and tasty golden IPA. I'll definitely be buying this again.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%