21st Amendment IPA | 21st Amendment Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by oggg on 11-17-2004

Reviews: 828 | Ratings: 2,351
3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Took this one home with me after a weekend of ACBF volunteering, poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours a radiant orange, with an initial 2 finger white cap that fades to half a finger early on, but lingers there. Lacing's not bad, but not out of this world either. The nose is mostly citrus (mango, pineapple, and peach), with a little bit of a malt undertone. The smell did not prepare me for the taste, very malty IMO, biscuit and caramel. The same citrus notes are present in the taste, but definitely in the background, and there's not really anything in the way of bitterness at all. If this was a pale ale I would say it was just not quite hoppy enough, but for an American IPA there's not nearly enough hop influence in the taste. Surprisingly given all the malt presence in the flavor the mouthfeel is decent and not too rich. The carbonation is a bit low though, which only exacerbates the lackluster hop presence. As a byproduct of the weak hop flavor and malt dominance, this beer is very easy drinking.

I guess this is the issue one encounters when trying to rate "to style", as I definitely enjoyed this brew, and didn't think it tasted bad by any means, but it just didn't taste like an American IPA.

3.07/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Very clear golden-yellow with a nice head. No hints sediment.

S: Citrusy hops.

T: Hoppy, but the hop flavor is predominantly bitter rather than fruity/grassy/bright. It seems that the hops may have been added too late in the boil.

M: Easy to drink, at least; abundant glug-able carbonation.

O: Fairly unremarkable IPA. Not bad, but not great.

3.06/5  rDev -19.9%

With a fist pumping Abraham Lincoln on the can I thought it would make a good July 4th beach beer. How patriotic of me.

Golden honey orange color with a pancake bubble white head. Good lace and retention.

Aroma is largely toasted malt with some citrus-y hop. Not that fragrant in the hop department.

The toasted caramel sweetness is more akin to a marzen than an IPA. A dull pine hop tickle doesn't help it's cause.

I was all set to unleash a great, topical tagline like, "Brew Free or Die and I'd kill for another." But I won't. Neither would I maim, poke or Smurf bite. It's too munich-y and not that hoppy.

3.06/5  rDev -19.9%

Can. Light orange body, mostly clear, with a small, white, soapy collar. Aromas of grain, malt, earthy, resinous hops. Pine, bread, alcohol. Light to medium bodied. Unremarkable.

3.06/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Poured a deep golden orange color with a nice white head.

S: Nose is light citrus and some pine with even some tropical fruit notes.

T: Taste is fuller bodied than I thought it would be. A subtle dose of hops with a lot of malt. Not a lot of flavor on this; Citrus and piney twang to it and finishing with a nice hop bite.

M: Medium body

O: Average across the board

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

12oz can in a Sam Adams glass
canned on 4/24/12

A: Dark yellow/light copper color with a thin light tan/off-white head, an average amount of lace. Looks like an American IPA.
S: Citrus and tropical fruits and an "oddness" I can't place, not unpleasant, just "odd".
T: Very sharp bitterness with a definite malt backbone. There are piney hops along with some fruitiness but the flavor is not doing it for me. This is the last of the six-pack over the last 2 months and every one I have been trying to figure out if I taste coconut or if it is something else. Whatever it is, I think that it might be the "oddness" in the smell.
Looking at the website, I think it must be a weird interaction of the dry hops (Amarillo, Ahtanum, Simcoe) because it can't be the Columbus and Cascade of the finishing hops.
M: Crisp, with a lingering bitterness that seems very dry on the tongue. Lot of carbonation.
O: Glad I tried it. It is a well made beer that flavor wise does not work for me. Worth trying if you like big IPAs, but I won't purchase again.

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into pint glass, brown clear yellow. smell is of a average ipa, hops detected but not strong. head filled to top of glass just stopping at edge. Slight hoppy taste, with stronger aftertaste.

could have a few of these but there is better ipas out there. the 7 percent abv is nice though for the price if your wanted to get a little buzz on. But ide still choose otherwise

3.04/5  rDev -20.4%

A- golden amber with slight chill haze and a frothy off white head. plenty of spit bubble lace is left behind as the foam slowly recedes to a thin cap.

S- nicely balanced nose with equal amounts to citrus hoppiness and caramel marshmallow malty sweetness. hop bill of amarillo columbus cascade and simcoe makes for a floral tropical aroma that would be my archetype for an ideal ipa. this one is a sublime fusion of pineapple, madrarin orange, and pink grapefruit with some minor woodsy and pine notes.

T- fruity enough on the tongue as well. more resinous and somewhat solvent in flavor, although not bad, also has a puckering sourness to the ample bitterness. grapefruit peel and pineapple dominate the fruit side but quickly give way to the more resinous flavors. malt sweetness is nearly non-existant and what comes out is bready, grainy, and savory. finishes with a zesty bitterness and lingering hop flavor.

MF- a bit astringent with tight aggressive carbonation. somewhat drying as well. on the light side for an ipa but still hovering around medium bodied.

D- decent, not terrible, but what was a greatly balanced aroma turned out to be a so-so flavor as far as my ipa tastes go. warrior bittering hops could be the culprit, as could be my mind full of fancy ideals. either way, a bit heftier and a touch sweeter to balance the hops would help this one immensely.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

My first Craft Can poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Two finder off white head. Cloudy bright gold with slight orange hue. Lacing is nice and sticky.
S: Sour ornage. Might be older than I would have liked.
T: Citrus hops to start sweet/ sour in the middle. Finishes with a touch of bitterness. Definalty old.
M: Medium mouthfeel, a touch on the thin side
D: Drinkablity is just okay. Would not want another.

This is not fresh and Its dissapointing... Will re-review if I can get my hands on a fresh can.

3.01/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a slightly hazy bright amber with a creamy off white head, nice lacing.

The smell is sweet and toffee malts with a hint of grapefruit.

Wow is this sweet, almost cloying, has some bitterness but not close to enough to balance it out and the hop flavors are very light and muted.

The mouthfeel is thick and oily.

This beer seems very under attenuated, very malty and sweet with the only real hop character being the bitterness, tastes almost like a light american barley wine, very odd. After drinking I just went and checked the can date it is pushing 3 months old, but still seems like quite a fall off.

3.01/5  rDev -21.2%

A friend of mine turned me on to Back In Black so, I figured I'd give this one a try.

A-It pours a cloudy orangey-yellow with about a thumb width head that stays around for a while. I like the way this beer looks. Very pleasing to the eye.

S-A smell of cream hits the nose with first sniff. Deep almost smokey smell. Grassy notes come through after a deep sniff.

T-A combo of hops and malt. Very bitter almost sour taste to the brew. Citrus flavors come out in the after taste.

M-Very liquidy. Nothing too exciting.

D-Due to the overwhelming sourness of the brew I'm finding it very hard to drink.

I gotta say after trying Back In Black, which I found to be a pretty stellar brew, I'm a little disappointed in this one.

Labelled as 'Brew Free or Die IPA' on the huge beer board in the brewery bar on 5 Feb 2013 when I had my on-tap beer.

Light golden body with a slight haze, on top a thin white covering.

Hops rule the brew, mini-citrus front to that hoppiness, some malt content in the brew also, just to prevent it becoming a hop bomb sort of beer. The beer was taken during 'Strong Beer Month' and at 7.0% was one of the weakest on offer, it therefore lacked the 'umph' of many others that day and hence my rather average thoughts on this brew.

2.98/5  rDev -22%

Pours orange with an off white head and a bit of lacing as it goes down. Some citrus and piney hops in the nose, although there seems to be quite a bit of malt coming through even in the nose. Taste is a bit bitter, but is definitely dominated by quite a bit of malt sweetness. The balance is definitely off as the malt and its flavors nearly override the citrus and pine flavors, leaving a somewhat disorganized beer. Mouthfeel is a bit better, with a little bit more balance. Drinkability is okay, but not one of the better 21st Amendment beers that I've had.

2.98/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Two and a half finger head, dirty white and semi-dense. Minute long retention. Some sticky lacing. Dark straw color with semi-clarity. Decent and clean looking.

S- Light and floral hops. Some hop oil and honeyed malts. Crisp and light.

T- Honey, citrusy and floral hops, grapefruit, lemon and other light spring-y tastes.

M- Thin and light, dry finish.

O- Tasty and drinkable, but nothing exemplary.

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%

Paid $1.99 for a 12oz can from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a pint glass to review.

Transparent corn yellow in color with a massive pillowey white head consistent of rather large carbonation bubbles. Superb head retention of about a half inch and thick trails of lacing. Very nicely carbonated.

Citrusy and grassy hops balanced out with toasty malts. More on the balanced side for its style. Smells clean, pale and refreshing.

Taste is maybe just a bit off for me. I'm getting hints of soap along with the citrus dominated grassy hops. Lots of lemon and freshly cut grass; reminds me of summer.

Mouth is alive from carbonation with a medium body and crisp finish. Pretty easy going down. All in all, a decent beer, but I don't think I'll get it again given the many great alternatives in the style.

2.94/5  rDev -23%

Picked this up in a mix-a-six from a very nice store I just visited in Virginia Beach, Grape and Gourmet.

Appearance- Pours a golden amber with a solid two fingers of creamy white head that has very good retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing as I drink.

Smell- I have to say, much weaker than I was expecting. I get a bit of grapefruit rind on the nose, followed thereafter by a lot of sweeter, bready smelling malts. Not nearly as much of a hop presence as I was expecting.

Taste- As the nose indicated, there really wasn't as much in the hop department here as I was expecting. Starts off with some mild grapefruit and pine resin flavors but that quickly gives way to a fair amount of sweet caramel maltiness. Finishes rather slick and sweet.

Mouthfeel/Drinkablity- Mouthfeel with solid and adequately carbonated. The beer went down easy enough but left me wanting a fair amount more in the flavor department.

Overall, rather disappointed. I thought it was quite weak in the hops department. Maybe it was on the older side? I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt despite the fact that it was in a can and will revisit in the future.

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

12 oz can poured into a snifter · Fridge temp · 2008

Appearance: Pours a transparent brownish orange color with a 1" tall, off-white head with good retention. Craterous head and plenty of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Heavy pine, grapefruit and malty sweetness. This one smells a lot like a DIPA. Grassy fresh.

Taste: Not like it smells. The malts are heavy and so is the pine bitterness, but it's not refreshing like most other IPAs. Pretty bland and dry.

Mouthfeel: Dry, slender bodied and a decent bitterness. Slightly carbonated with a flat finish.

Drinkability: I am pretty disappointed by this beer. It is dry, flat and lacks any complexity. This one needs work.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

My first canned IPA. As expected, when poured it produced a large (3 finger) head composed of large bubbles. It got rocky as it subsided. Body was clear yellow.

Initial aroma was of citrusy hops and a bit of honey sweetness. Then, I got a scent of what I can only describe as wet dog. And not the just-groomed wet dog either. I mean after he's played around with the lawn sprinkler for a while and is starting to dry out.

Taste began with sharp hop resins and alpha acids. This was followed by a slightly buttery malt flavor. Aftertaste was a long lingering bitterness. I wasn't impressed.

Mouthfeel was OK. It was well carbonated and had some good body to it.

Only average drinkability. Not one I would go back to, when there are so many outstanding IPAs available here.

2.86/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank one of these last night after a hefty and hoppy Surly and didn't care for it... I wanted to give it a fresh start and a second try today.

A: Poured from a 12oz can into a standard pint glass. Pours honey and amber blonde with a thick and creamy head. The head dissipates fairly quick but leaves a nice cloud-like puff at the top of the glass. Lacing isn't anything special but has decent cling. Held up to the light, the brew radiates a little more golden with carbonation evident.

S: My first impression from the smell is of fresh vegetables and a slightly unpleasant ketchup-like vinegar smell. I get some pleasant undertones of floral hops and crystal malts as well though.

T: For the style, there's too much malt character at first sip. I get bittering hops but not much hop flavor as if the brewmaster decided not to do anything at the 30 and 15. In my opinion, this tastes more like a macro-brew than a craft IPA. The flavor never rounds out and an IPA lover is left smacking their lips with the taste of malt liquor in the their mouth.

MF: Heavy mouth feel for the style. Compared to the crisp smell of this brew, the mouthfeel hits me like a mouth full of nickels.

D: At 7% it's probably just a tad too high to be considered sessionable. For me, 7% makes a great session beer, (I'm 6'7" and 330 pounds though..) but I wouldn't even want to drink more than one of these at a time.

Sorry, 21st Amendment, the law did nothing for you.

Poured into a snifter on 2/3/11

Golden-tangerine in color with some noticeable cloudiness. Pours one finger of fluffy white foam that thins slowly. Decent retention & a pretty good amount of lace.

The hop aroma is mostly a dense, over-ripe citric assembly: hints of grapefruit rind, lemon zest & orange pith & a slight notion of tangerine. Overtones of pine. Balance is edging toward maltiness: sugar cookie, caramel & bread. A little doughy as it warms up.

The hop bill tastes similarly lackluster compared to the aroma. Dense citric exhibiting pithy, peely notes seem dull; lacking a vibrant flavor. A modest piney kick moves in mid-swallow to help out. Toasted bread rounds it out. Interestingly, the malt is far more in check here than the nose.

Medium bodied with a resiny, coating feel underscored by a mild grittiness. Carbonation is a little north of average but not too distracting (the flavors take care of that). Astringent finish.

Somewhat disheveled overall, drinkability suffers. I suppose it could work in a pinch.

2.86/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - Golden sun color with an orange hue to it. Head is a tight ring of bubbles with a supple froth left on top. Lacing is the best part of the look for this one, there's no way they could have improved it. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but there's just something that keeps it from a perfect rating.

Smell - Exceptionally sweet in the nose. Maybe a little bit too over the top for my tastes, as it seems to be drenched in honey. Citrus notes do seem to wrap around the hop bitterness eventually as I get further into this one.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Not much hop bitterness here at all. Maybe that explains why the smell score was so off. Just a very gentle smattering of hops, and not much citrus flavor to speak of. Honey was drizzled in a bit, but that doesn't help much. Just doesn't really seem to be any flavor at all. Feel is light and doesn't grab at the tongue or pop in the mouth whatsoever.

Drinkability - Recently picked this up as an extra in a trade. Wasn't really what I was hoping for, as it really is a let down of an ipa. Haven't tried any of their other stuff, but this one leaves a black mark on their record.

2.84/5  rDev -25.7%

A beautiful, brilliantly clear amber with a big sticky white head. Aroma is light citrusy hops and crystal malts with a hint of alcohol. Taste is more of the same; hop presence is a bit weak and the finish is pretty tart. Mouthfeel is medium-full and a bit astringent. Overall, slightly disappointing. Flavors are muted. Really more of a strong amber ale or *maybe* an English IPA, definitely doesn't qualify as an American IPA. Would only buy in the future as a fresh draft or if really cheap.

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a nice bright amber color out of the can with fluffy two finger head.

S - Good amount of piney, grassy hops on the nose, nearly flowery. Has a hint of an apple like scent and sweet honey.

T - More malty than hoppy to me. The hops are there but muted. A bit of fruity taste that fades into some bitter hoppyness. I don't know, not outstanding, certainly.

M - It's smooth, it almost feels a little undercarbonated.

Overall - I wasn't really into this one. Not sure if this was a bad can or something, but it just wasn't that great.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

I still have an empty can of this beer from 5+ years ago when I thought the artwork was so whimsical -- the Rushmore Four pictured in various altered expressionages.. So I was surprised to find this available where I went to order takeout at a local restaurant. I sipped on BrewFree while I waited for my food. Poured from can into pint glass a murky golden haze, not unpleasant. Mouthfeel: rubbery but not unpleasant; might wish for a little more carbonation? Taste: banana, honey overnotes, banana, Anybody Got Some Spice Besides Nutmeg?, banana. If an IPA to rival other golden IPA's, it seems the hops my tastebuds were reaching for didn't materialize here. Still expecting great things fron 21st Amendment and hoping this was just a case of canned beer maybe left in the restaurant's cooler too long to meet demand.

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a cloudy yellowish-orange with thick white head. Leaves a nice ring of head as it dissipates with tons of lacing. I don't know how to improve on the appearance. I'm not a fan of this beer, however. It has this almost buttery, metallic smell/taste to it. There are the hops too, but I find it being overpowered by the off tastes. There is some bready malts in there too. If I am on vacation somewhere where this beer is sold again, I may try it again to see if I like it more.

21st Amendment IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery