Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Reviews: 727 | Ratings: 2,695
3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

Got this one at Heritage. I figured, why not? Ed and Tim (again...I can't remember if thats your name or not) told me that this is definitely not the right weather to be drinking this in. Boy were they right.

Poured into a small pint glass, this is a hazy light golden color with a foamy white head. Lively carbonation. Leaves only spots of lacing.

The nose is really really wierd. It's sweet and wheaty, but there is a sort of water-logged watermelon rind. It is a strange combination of wheat and yeast and a light melon smell, that just isn't really melon. It's just strange, not my thing.

The taste is a shock, actually. I had my hopes that this actually tasted like watermelon dashed when the nose told me it wouldn't. But alas, it actually kind of does. It's strange, again, and not necessarily in a good way. Yeasty and wheaty and melony. Again, not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is light with a high carbonation, but it's surprisingly smooth and easy going. Drinkability is good, I can imagine that non-craft beer drinkers would love this stuff. My girlfriend and her mother (not craft-beer drinkers) liked it but both agreed it would be better on a hot summer day.

Overall, not really impressed, but I didn't have to be. This won't color my opinion of the brewery, as it's the only brew I had and I knew what I was getting myself into. I'll try their IPA before I write them off.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pours a murky orange color with 1/4 inch of foam that ended up as a layer of fine bubbles

S - Overly sweet watermelon aroma

T - At first I really liked the watermelon taste, its not too powerful but the finish leaves you with an almost chemical extract flavor. Its not so bad that you can't enjoy it, but its there once you notice it

M/D - easy drinking light bodied beer, but the overdone watermelon is just too much and keeps me from enjoying many.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"3 AROMA 8/10 APPEARANCE 1/5 TASTE 6/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 12/20
samsmith33 (768) - - MAY 18, 2014
** 05/18/2014
Watermelon aroma. Wheat egg. Pis yellow color.Light fruit flavor. Wheaty, but light. Ok.
UPDATED: 06/04/15
Poured from Can to Goblet;much better than the original on tap I had. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a wheat beer the first time.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one. You can tell how much he likes me as this was the first beer he offered upon my return to Chicago. Served in a Jester King snifter.

A - A finger of white foam fizzles to a thin ring, leaving minimal lace. Hazy orange body.

S - Initially I thought this smelled pretty bad. Stale hops, lightly rotten fruit, and cloying malt sweetness. However, as it warmed up I actually got more of the advertised watermelon flavor and it got a bit better.

T - Taste is a marked improvement. Watermelon, light wheat and grain, and some sugary malt sweetness. Perhaps a bit saccharine, but fairly enjoyable for what it is.

M - Medium-light body, smooth pleasant medium-low carbonation. Pretty clean and refreshing.

D - Once you get past the aroma, there's a decent beer waiting. Still, not something I'd want to bother with again. Markedly inferior to the watermelon lambic hombrew someone brought to RBWG 2010.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

4/19/13

Summer Seasonal

21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon: 4.9%, about 3 fingers of head; Appearance: dull, slightly greenish yellow, smoky haze; Smell: light watermelon rind and white, faint sweet rose; Taste/Mouthfeel: water melon rind, mostly dry, faint sweetness just before the finish; decent.

Poured into a pint glass.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Hazy straw color. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Faint watermelon and hop nose, flavor is light funky watermelon, slight hoppy finish. $2.49 for a 12oz green can from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma. Best by Jun 2016. Can has this as a seasonal release.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Can. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a slightly cloudy light golden color with a 1 finger white head. Surprisingly, the nose has decently strong notes of watermelon with some mild wheat notes as well. No alcohol or hops notes to mention. Medium mouthfeel. Starts slightly sweet with a building watermelon flavor and other melon. Refreshing to drink. Minimal lace. Ever so slight bitterness lingers but miniscule.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a nearly clear golden/yellow color with a solid froth of white head.
Smell is lightly malted- bread and a small fruit smell.
Taste is fairly light- bread and regular malt here.
Finish is wettish with a very solid watermelon after-taste.
Drinks easy- obviously sessionable- refreshing if it was a hot day

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%

4 straight from a can. here we go!

Pour is a cloudy yellow. aggressive pour produced over an inch of head that dissipates into a ring of head. I wanna call it a Wit badly.

The smell is, just, no. Corn everywhere. NO.

Now the taste is odd, very odd. Corn and watermelon. I never thought id like it, but I really do. If it didnt smell like hell, Itd be perfect. Theres a nice balance of fruitiness from the watermelon but a definite beer base. Interesting to say the least.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed this 12oz can out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear straw color with a thin, white, 1-finger head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving a partial trail.

S: Slightly tart and fruity aroma.

T: Subtle fruity watermelon flavor with a slight tartness and finishes clean.

M: Light body and medium carbonation.

O: Interesting fruit wheat beer – subtle watermelon taste – a refreshing brew but nothing I would grab again.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Hazy golden yellow in color with an average foamy white head. Head has poor retention but leaves decent lacing.

S - Very grainy wheat aroma with light hints of watermelon. More just a generic sweet smell to the beer.

T - An artificial watermelon sweetness up front with a husky wheatness backing it up. Almost taste like somebody dropped a watermelon Jolly Rancher into an above average American wheat ale. The sweetness is a little too strong but this is still a nice kick back an relax type of wheat.

M/D - Medium bodied with a grainy chewiness to it. Sweetness is a little too artificial for my liking but it does have a simple refreshing characteristic to it.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Two finger white head (if you've beaten egg whites, the head looks like soft peak egg whites), Hazy Straw (about a 3 SRM), Very Nice Lacing

Nose: Big Wheat, Watermelon, Citrus (not connected to the watermelon at all, smells more orange zest-lime zest), Light Yeast

Taste: Wheat, Watermelon (Not the red part, more like the white rind.), Yeasty, Strong Carb,Body is well for a wheat

Final Thoughts: I was expecting alot more from 21st, but it is exactly that it says it is, a wheat beer with watermelon. This would be a good one for someone who has buddies that are coming over and they aren't big into the complex stuff but like blue moon and such but this is still enjoyable to the craft brew fan.

Food Pairings: Veggies, Salad, Grilled Chicken, Grilled Pork, Light body Cheeses.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%

First off, a six pack of this beer is wayyyy too expensive. Very very cool concept though. The can has nice looking artwork.

12 oz. can poured into a standard pint glass

A- Pale light golden color. Cloudy. Small thin head.

S- Tart and sour watermelon. Reminded me of sour patch kids. Wheat and grass scents.

T- Another one dimensional beer. Tasted like a coors light with some watermelon. Kudos to 21st Amendment for having the watermelon flavor very suttle yet noticable.

M- Very light bodied. Very low on carbonation.

D- This could be good at a summer barbecue. I will try it again in the summer to see if it has improved.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%

A-couldy straw colored beer almost resembling, sorry to say it, urine. Thin bubbly head that disspates quickly and leaves no lace behind

S-the nose is boozy like rum soaked strawberry with hints of clove and banana. The yeast is present and mixed into the straberry booze.

T/M-taste follows the nose, alcohol soaked strawberries that blend into some notes of clove and banana. smooth and creamy, light body, crisp finish, highly carbonated throughout.

D-easy drinking and somewhat sweet, suprisingly it shows alcohol with such a low alc beer.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%

A. This poured pale yellow into the glass with about an 1 1/2 inch head that quickly dissapeared. Very light carbonation.

S. I was hit with the smell of watermelon immediatly but not in a good way. It almost smelled like a rotten watermelon, gross.

T. The taste does suprise me though. It is not overly sweet. It actually tastes like watermelon and just watermelon. It was as if I was eating a slice but was getting close to the rind of the fruit, so it is not gonna taste like a jolly rancher or italian ice.

M. Thin but not bad for a wheat beer.

D. I could pound a few of these on a hot day. Not too high in ABV so I could handle this. This is strictly a summer beer though.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

This was just okay. Body is dark straw colored, initially has a thick and bubbly head that quickly dissipates down to nothing. Smells...not quite watermelon-y. It has a fruity smell to it but honestly it was like nothing I could place, certainly didn't smell like real fruit, but rather something candied and artificial. Taste is similarly strange. It's predominantly wheaty and malt forward, but there's a hint of something like watermelon rind. I didn't get any watermelon juice type flavors or anything else resembling fruit in this. If I wasn't aware it was a watermelon beer, I probably would have never guessed that flavor was any part of watermelon. Feel is pretty light and thin, high carbonation. I thought this beer was a little one dimensional and with a strange, not-quite-watermelon-but-vaguely-fruity quality to it. It would be a solid wheat beer if not for the watermelon, which just seems to muddle it up more.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz silver can with bright neon green strips at the top and bottom. The front of the can has a picture of 2 watermelons with a large flame coming out of the bottom and a pitchfork coming out of the top. The back of the can has 3 tiny paragraphs that only talks about the brewery and an angel holding up a watermelon in the bottom right hand corner. No date, but there is a useless number at the bottom of the can.

Since they labeled this as a wheat beer, I poured this beer into an Ayinger Weizen glass. This Watermelon flavored beer poured a light sun yellow with some faint orange highlights along the sides. On top was a fast receding head of white foam. I'm assuming the head of foam was white in color because most of them are and this one did a disappearing act in a blink of an eye. Did it leave behind any spots or streaks of lace? You wish!

I don't know how to say this, but the aroma was just lightly sour. Not sour with watermelons or any other kind of fruit. It was just a straight up sour aroma with a minor whiff of malted wheat at the finish line. I've always enjoyed sour aroma, but this one, no!

The taste of this beer took back in time to when I used to get those fruit flavored slushees that were only available at mom and pop ice cream stands. This crispy carbonated wheat beer was filled with a ton of cheap watermelon flavoring. To round off the taste there was just a hint of malted wheat. There was nothing else in the taste.

This was an easy drinking light bodied fruit flavored wheat beer with a good amount of carbonation and a slight aftertaste of malted wheat and watermelon flavoring.

A watermelon wheat beer? I didn't have high hopes for this beer, but it did raise the bar a little bit for me. Not exactly a summer treat, but this beer would come through in a pinch if there was no other fruit wheat beer available.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer quickly. It is a hazy pale yellow with some vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Tart, bready, and sweet malts with a faint watermelon aroma.

Taste: Same as above. Bland with a tiny hint of watermelon.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing, a little chewy, and low carbonation.

Overall: Not too shabby for a warm weather beer.

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Every time I try this beer, I swear on a stack of bibles that I'll never drink it again. The appeal of this beer will always remain a mystery to me.

The beer pours a somewhat hazy, tannish orange color with very little lacing and minimal head retention. The nose is the only area where this beer really shines, but even there it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, there's a noticeable aroma of watermelon, but I'd hardly describe it as gushing from the glass. Otherwise, I get some very light "wheatiness," and maybe a hint of very light clove. Of course in comparison to what I get on the palate, the watermelon aroma is absolutely in your face. This beer tastes like your typical bland, one dimensionable American wheat beer, with a hint of yeast, very light bitterness in the finish and just the faintest hint of watermelon. Whoopee. Mouthfeel is light and pretty watery to be honest.

Maybe this would make a decent transition beer from someone interested in "upgrading" from macro swill.

Still remember the first time I had this at the annual OBF (where for God knows what reason, it remains a perennial favorite), and how much I was looking forward to trying it (given it's popularity and all the hype surrounding it). I was absolutely stunned by what I tasted (or should I say, by what I didn't taste), and ended up dumping my glass after the second or third sip. I've tried it on several more occcasions since then, on the off chance that maybe there was something wrong with my palate or I'd just gotten an unusually bland batch. No such luck. This beer is consistently bland, boring and basically tasteless. The ultimate gimmick beer (at least in my book).

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Meh. This beer is the definition of meh, but I'd drink it all day on a hot day. It's an underimpressive wheat beer, a little corny and grassy. The watermelon is huge in the nose and present in the aftertaste as well. Some good qualities, super refreshing, but it relies on the (in my opinion) somewhat gimmicky watermelon taste.

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: While coming out of a can, it pours well and had a nice head with a mild/pale golden color.
Smell: Has a rather earthy smell, not bad but not something too impressive
Taste: I actually like the subtle earthy taste of the watermelon. For me, it's a positive that the beer is not overly sweet. Other general reactions were not as good, but i enjoyed the taste.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, good crisp feel to it.
Drinkability: I was able to enjoy this, and I would continue to if it wasn't such a pricey beer.

I will give this brewery credit for their creativity. I do think it is difficult to get most beer nuts interested when serving something in a can.

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours ½ finger of white head. Little retention. Color is a light hazed golden yellow.

Aroma: Watermelon and wheat. Lemon zest and spice. Earthy.

Taste: Watermelon and cantaloupe. Spices and zest flavors. Wheat. Lemons. Earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Refreshing. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of dry.

Overall, this is a refreshing summer beer, but not crazy. Not very much to say about this one.

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Very light in color. Almost wit-like. Hazy-cloudy very pale yellow. Forms a modestly sized, rather fizzy white head that reduces to not much more than a patchy surface coating and a ring around the edge. Some very light lacing.

S: Aroma is interesting... There some tangy wheat. Some yeast and a touch of lemon. Then there is the watermelon.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma. Creamy wheat, some yeast and lots of watermelon.

M: Body is on the lighter side and the carbonation is weaker than I would have expected for such a light bodied beer. Mouthfeel is very smooth, almost juicy, but it also leaves an odd coating in the mouth after the swallow.

O: Ironically, this beer probably would be pretty good without the watermelon. But watermelon it is and this beer delivers a hefty dose of it, though, in the end, I don't think it improves it.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery