Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 730 | Ratings: 2,700
3.98/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a tulip.
4.9% ABV,

A - Slightly hazed, Hell or High Watermelon is warm pale straw yellow in color with a soapy white head that relaxes to a ring of foam and little lace left behind.

S - Juicy Jolly Rancher watermelon aroma blends with pale malt and soft wheat for a simple but dry, inviting aroma that suggests faint tartness in the background.

T - Watermelon flavor is at the forefront and carefully teeters between authentic and artificial, but nicely blending with the one dimensional pale malt base.

M - Crisp and refreshing, Hell or High Watermelon is light bodied and effervescent with a slightly dry finish that trails off with clean drinkability.

O - It's been my experience trying to incorporate the flavor of natural watermelon into a beer without a syrupy, fake outcome is incredibly hard. That said, I think 21st Amendment has done a fine job producing such a beer; one with good watermelon flavor incorporated nicely into a

3.98/5  rDev +20.6%

Had this beer twice, and both times it has fallen on the better half of surprise.

I've heard many complaints that this beer is too spritzy and that there isn't enough going on flavor wise. However, I think that these are a couple of its strong points.

It is indeed spritzy, but not in an over-the-top, acidic bubbling on your tongue way. Effervescent is what I would call it.

The flavors are subtle, but with this style, that is the way it should be. Rather than dose this beer with a heavy watermelon Otter-pop juice flavor, the brewers kept it simple and gave the essence of the melon flavor in a dry, very neutral wheat beer base. No noticable hop flavors, which would very much distract from the watermelon.

Aroma is hard to detect, but there is a slight white flour and watermelon in the nose if you get close.

This is a perfect choice for a nice hot day. If I could buy their new cans up here, I'd get a case.

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a can into a weisse vase, the beer is a cloudy, opaque, pale yellow-gold coloring with no head whatsoever. Aromas of tangy sweet watermelon and toasted grains. Flavors are light and sweet, with a strong watermelon character on the forward tongue that gives you a sugary tart profile atop the toasted grain backbone. The aftertaste is light and quick, with a strong watermelon character and tangy feel. Crisp, light finish. This beer is very easy to drink, and great on a hot day. Also goes well with a wedge of watermelon, as we originally had it at 21st Amendment in SanFran.

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Sampled at the 21st Amendment is SF.

This is a really interesting beer. Presentation was cheesy - in a weizenglass with a slice of watermelon garnishing the lip of the glass. Still, the tropical feeling was welcome and while gimmicky, it was also creative.

Beer was a hazy straw color with a fizzy white head.

Tastes and smells remarkably like watermelon. I think they nailed this one. Delightfully refreshing and went great with 21st's delicious pizza. In my experience, fruit beers tend not to make the best session beers, and this one is no exception. For me, drinkability was hampered by the uniqueness of the taste - one was enough.

Really an ideal beer to pick up in cans. Perfect for the beach!

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to KickbackSteve for this gift to taste with some fruit beer curious newbs. Brought and shared on a road trip night in prep for a local concert with the Perfect Pair.

Light lager look with some minor lace. Short head and retention.
Light pale malt aromas with a dash of watermelon smell.
Tastes as it smells with a noticeable but not overdone light watermelon flavor without being overly sweet or cloying.
Light body and high carbo.
Drinkable for those who like a light lager-like fruit beer.

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Pours a golden citrus orange with light blonde and gold highlights. Head is marshmallow white and billows up quickly before quickly disappearing. Lacing is next to nothing.

S: Hints of pale malts, grains, and a drop of vanilla. There is a tad of watermelon and berry in the aroma though they are very faint.

T: The first sip really caught me off guard as the artificial watermelon flavor was more pronounced then I had expected. However, after a few sips I settled into the taste and found it subtle enough and pretty good. Solid malty tastes seemed to balance well against the watermelon. Even a slight lemon tang with some piney hops towards the end.

M: Relatively thin but still crisp and refreshing.

D: I did not know what to expect with this beer and considering the style and its uniqueness it was very solid. Perfect for a day when you want to drink but not feel weighed down by some of the heavier choices out there. Can lists ABV at 4.9%.

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from 12oz can. Been wanting to try this beer forever.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw yellow color. One and a half finger white head which had little retention to it. Light streaking lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- This is pretty muted I thought overall. Some very light wheaty notes comes over a watermelon aroma as well. This smells a little sweet but interesting at the same time.

T- A light wheat upfront gets crushed pretty quickly with a over the top watermelon flavor. Although a little artifical tasting it does bring out a good watermelon quality to it. This dies down toward the ending with a little bit of wheat in the tailend.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little high for the style but good for this beer. Watermelon flavors pile up on the palate and lingers on all the way through the aftertaste. Flavor was a little one sided but even so still very clean to say the least.

D- This was a very drinkable beer. The lower ABV makes this a beer that you can drink a sixer of no problem. The fruit flavor is very pronounced and would make it a good for lack of better terms a girlie beer. A good beer that hits the style of what it says it is going to be.

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

Pretty skeptical of any fruit beer aside from authentic lambics, but I'd heard this was good, and randomly picked up a watermelon this afternoon so I thought I'd give this beer a shot. Pours a pale-ish yellow from the can, dissipating head but a nice color and slight cloud to it. Hard to pick up much watermelon in the nose, which to me is a good sign. Mostly pale malts and a light sweetness, which may be the fruit I'm smelling. Taste is actually just about what I was looking for - not too much watermelon up front, but a nice pale maltiness and a touch of wheat, almost reminiscent of a German lager. A nice refreshing touch of watermelon in the finish, awesome. Light yet not lacking body on the palate, and quite refreshing and pleasurable to drink. This is the first fruit beer (like I said, non-lambic) that I've liked in a long, long time. I would actually get this again. And the best part - no seeds! Mwaahahahahaha...

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

A- A hazy, yellow beer with some floaters and a thin, splotchy white head.

S- White bread and a sweet, indistinguishable fruitiness. Not as potent of a watermelon punch as I was expecting.

T- Sweet watermelon and bread with caramel. A tad tart at the end.

M- A carbonation bite, but the sweetness keeps it refreshing.

D- A great warm weather beer. This has been on my "to try" list for awhile, and it doesn't disappoint.

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

Had a can on the beach, was a great fit.

Nice smell of bready yeast and watermelon juice.

Taste has just the right enough of watermelon. Its definitely a fruit forward beer but it isn't sugary/syrupy or overwhelming. I could easily have drunken a few of them. I don't know if they use real watermelon, I doubt it, but regardless it tastes like real watermelon.

Good change of pace from IPAs, porters and RIS.

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours a golden yellow color with am inch of white head that didn't linger. Highly visible carbonation.

Slight hints of melon in the nose with a bit of straw. Not quite as much as I anticipated.

The taste is crisp and refreshing with just a touch of sweetness in the back of the throat as it tingles the tastebuds and tongue. This might be the ultimate lawnmower beer! The malt character is of straw and just a light bready character. The wheat might be evident in the medium mouthfeel but there is no haze.

Delicious to say the least. Highly drinkable and easy to put away. I am glad this made it's way over to Ohio.

3.94/5  rDev +19.4%

A friend and I were picking some beer to enjoy on the beach, I saw this one and had to try it. I'm not a huge fan of fruity beer, but this one was pretty tasty. Smells like you'd expect, watermelony, ale-like. Feels a lot like water, not much carbonation, tastes like you squeezed watermelon juice into a good ale. If I were wanting a good light summer beer, this would be one of my top choices.

3.94/5  rDev +19.4%

I gave this one the ultimate test - in was chilling in the fridge while I was cutting my lawn on a humid 88 degree day. Did I mention that I have an old cast iron reel mower?

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange. Quickly fading creamy white head.

S: Sweetness in the nose. Clean.

T: A creamy sweetness upfront with just a kiss of watermelon. The watermelon is spot on - you will expect to be spitting out seeds. A bit of tartness at the end.

M: Creamy in and crisp at the end.

d: Like bitting in to a real watermellon. If it is a hot-ass day, you are going to be all over this beer. The flavor is subtle and not overwhelming, you can have a few of these without the sweetness turning your stomach like some fruit concoctions will.

The wheat base really lends itself well to the watermelon taste.

If you like fruit beer or American wheat beers, you should give this one a go.

3.94/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours a light pale yellow with a fizzy head. I get at first a nice hoppy wheat ale smell but it is quickly taken over by watermelon. The fruit and wheat ale is actually very balanced. But both feel very average tasting.

3.93/5  rDev +19.1%

12 oz can sent to me thanks to the awesomeness that is Murchmac. Been eying this for two reasons: 1. its in a can 2. its watermelon, yo!
Served up in my Terrapin pint glass.

A: Pours a pretty typical wheat beer color. Has just a touch of haze to it, making it just not quite clear. The color is a nide golden yellow, but held to the light it has more of that faded, macro yellow color. The carbontion activity is pretty bangin with some constant movement. The head off the pour is a nice and pretty pristine white, and that head has a bit more wieght than I was expecting going in. Sadly,the retention isn't the greatest and no really lace to speak of. Just a bit above mediocre here.

S: Smell is basically just a wheat beer. Has some grain notes coming out and mostly. You get a touch of some sweeter wheat bread coming across here. There is a touch of citrus bouncing around in here as well, maybe some lemon. Not really getting any watermelon at all, and this has me a bit scared because this is what I am looking forward to. Overall, just smells like a standard wheat beer.

T: Yet again I am scared a bit starting off. As the sip starts, all I am getting is some wheat beer. Just a nice and slightly sweet wheat coming across along with a touch of lemony hops presence. BUT!!! . . . the finish is where they bring the melon and my happiness. The watermelon is sweet and at times a bit sour. It seems on some sips its just a touch light, and at others it is in your face and is more like a slightly sour watermelon Jolly Rancher. With said, it works. I like it . . . hell, I love it.

M: Light in body with a nice crisp carbonation, and this is good because I imagine that was the intention in creating a thirst quenching summer brew. This beer does have a bit of a drying quality to it that makes you pull a bit more. Aftertaste is all melon and ist awesome.

D: Very drinkable. Would love to have this after a long day of working in the yard in the Alabama summer or at baseball game. The melon is just enough to let you know its there and what is up. The wheat base is nice and probably the perfect vehicle for a watermelon flavored brew. Just a joy to drink and it really puts a smile on my face. Look forward to trading for more from Tim. Thanks again, buddy!

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

To begin with, you should only try this beer if you like watermelon, otherwise you will probably hate it.

A- The beer poured a hazy tan with a hint of pink. There was a little bit of a fizzy heady, but it quickly dissipated.

S- The smell is of spicy wheat and fresh watermelon rind

T- The beer started off a little tart from the wheat, but as it finished, the flavor of the watermelon really came through as did the sweetness.

M- Light and a little too thin on the palate

D- The watermelon flavor sold me, but those who don't like watermelon as much would rate this much lower in drinkability. I think that I could have 2 or 3 of these and that would be enough.

Great for an end of summer BBQ while downing spicy ribs and smoked brisket. I could also imagine having this at the beach

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Wow, for me, this is done right! Great beer, I'll be buying more as an easy drinker for summer. Edit: After some more tasting, I'm lowering the taste from 4.5 to 4.25. I'm still loving the watermelon, but a bit artificial tasting. Smell is watermelon jolly rancher (which probably sounds terrible to some people). No hint of watermelon in the look. Light yellow with not much brightness.

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

I actually drank this beer out of the can, so I have no idea what was going on with the appearance--I just love the feeling of drinking beer out of a can, what can I say?

This is an awesomely unique beer, with a strong watermelon smell and taste. I'm not sure the beer under it is the best wheat beer I've ever had---a bit grainy, lacking some of the complexity of a good wheat, and a thin mouthfeel, not rich enough--but the idea of mixing watermelon juice and a decent wheat beer is just a really good one, and this is a great, very drinkable summer beer.

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Can, home. I'm not a big fan of most fruit beers and had been putting off trying this particular beer for a long time, and I'm quite surprised to find that I like it. It's not the prettiest thing ever - hazy pale gold with a minimal head. The aroma is wheatier and maltier than expected. Though there's a fairly strong candy fruit flavor to it, but it's not cloying. The feel is a bit thick and viscous, particularly for the abv. The flavor is relatively dry. The watermelon flavor doesn't taste artificial. The base beer doesn't really live up to the watermelon flavor. I'm not really sure what would, though. It's a nice flavor but not very beery. Good beer for a hot day.

3.91/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My favorite fruit beer and one of my summer go to. I think it taste the best on draft but the cans do the job. Awesome in the summer, but I have had it on the winter which was a nice change. Refreshing wheat beer with a good watermelon flavor not the artificial fruit flavor as other beers.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in.

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Drank from the can, so no word on appearance. Light, tasty, smooth. Great choice for hot days. Watermelon flavor is reserved, but present and sweet. Ideal beer for backyards, rivers, and during the day.

Tried at Three Monkeys Bar & Grill and the Northside Grill, both in Richmond, Va

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Incredible summer beer, tartness from watermelon is palatable and not off putting, at 4.9% ABV it's definitely got the kick for funtime summer drinking

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery