Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 722 | Ratings: 2,673
3.57/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Look (3.75): Has the classic style look of a somewhat filtered wheat ale. Some major carbonation to this brew, as expected per wheat ales.

Smell (3.5): Sweet vanilla and biscuity aromas something off this guy. Mild watermelon in the nose.

Taste (3.75): Again, starts out sweet and bready like (biscuits) and then has a nice mild watermelon background and finish. Nothing to intense, just really sessionable.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Soft and supple feel to it. Light bodied and the carbonation bubbles slightly scrub the palate.

Overall (3.25): One of the enjoyable spring/summer time brews. Something easy sipping that you can drink all day, not an intensely flavorable brew by any means.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is mainly wheat but I also get a nice bit of light watermelon. The flavor is wheat, juicy watermelon and a light bit of tartness. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel. A nicely done fruit beer that doesn't taste artificial or overpower you with sweetness.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy light golden pour with a high white foam head. Soapy lacing on the glass.

S - Has a strong wheat aroma, and certainly a faint smell of watermelon rind. slightly too candy like (think Jolly Rancher) but better than others I can recall.

T - Typical witbier profile more than what one would consider a fruit beer. Light grains give a nice base to a beer that is refreshing. Finish hits the mouth with sweetness of watermelon that is pleasant although maybe a bit too sweet.

M - Has a wheat germ grottiness to it. Leaves a sweet finish that would make it not sessionable to me, but likely for others. Clean beer.

O - Not bad and a good summer beer. I just don't see this being anything special.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've always been a bit weary to try this one, but the Mrs. picked up a sixer, so here we go...

A - A standard to fairly aggressive pour yields a perfectly level three fingers worth of audibly fizzy slightly airy whimsical pure virginal white froth... Really good retention... Once receded there is a full even veil of similar lacing... The color is a golden honey with some lemony yellow undertones... There is a subtle haziness suspended throughout... A moderate bit of carbonation that starts sluggish at the bottom of the glass and works itself up to a moderate pace before reaching the top of the glass...

S - A lively wheat presence to start... There are some fresh cut grass notes as well... The watermelon notes are present, but they take a distant back seat... There are fresh and there is nothing artificial about it... Over all this one smells both fresh and refreshing...

T - The watermelon is dialed up a bit on the palate, but again it's fresh and not artificial... The wheat component takes the back seat in terms of flavors... There is also a subtle layer of earthy spiciness that lingers beneath the surface... Perhaps a hint of lemon zest on the finish...

M - On lighter size of medium bodied... Just a bit of carbonation... A bit of stickiness to it... The finish has a touch of chalkiness to it...

D - Not a bad beer by any means... The watermelon addition is a compliment to the base wheat beer and doesn't dominate in any means... A nice summer sipper, but not something that I would indulge in on a regular basis... I'm a big fan of 21st Amendment and if this is my least favorite beer they make, they're doing something very right...

First had: can from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Interesting idea, and I've seen it around enough to the point where I had to pick up a can.

Poured clear golden into a tumbler. Big white foamy head that dissipated after a few minutes to just a thin layer. Aroma (first impression) was stale and unimpressive, and I started having doubts that I picked up a bad beer. Then I took a sip. Watermelon!!! Very distinct, very fruity, but not overbearing or sickeningly sweet, and truly watermelon. Very light and smooth, no acidic harshness that often pervades wheat beers. Light body, easily drinkable. Great summertime beer. I want more.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I don't know when or where I've heard about this particular beer, but at the time I thought it could be a good thing.

Surprised to see it in a card board box.

I can't tell if there's a hue of pink in my glass or not.
A scant ring of lace.

Nice aroma. Real fruit. But very faint.
Tangy bready yeast. Summer in a glass. Moderate carbonation. I think I detect some melon rind.
A lighter body, refreshing.

Almost good enough for a 12 pack.
Possibly the perfect accompaniment to fried chicken.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I'm reviewing this based on memory, so please bear with me, as I do not have tasting notes.

It was a hot night at the bar, and I was in the mood for something light and refreshing to chase away the cloying heat of the place. this pale yet flavorful beer was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what the doctor ordered to chase away the uncomfortable warmth of the place.

This was not the first watermelon wheat beer I had consumed, there was another I had enjoyed the previous summer that drew me to choose this instead of one of the other available options. Don't expect it totaste strongly of watermelon - I only moticed melon flavors in the aftertaste, as up front you mostly we treated to a light, wheaty flavor.

Definitely a nice treat for a hot day, and now that I know that I can get it in cans, it'll likely come with me to the next BBQ I attend.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Very hazy light golden glass holds a very thin white head.

Smell: Wheat, earthy grain really, with just a hint of Jolly Rancher Watermelon candy. A bit of melon, but I really have to reach for it.

Taste: Watermelon comes through a lot more in the taste for me, overall a very mild beer, a little yeasty, a bit of coarse wheat, but not much here to tell.

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation doesn't get fizzy, smooth texture and a little oily mouth coat.

Overall: A good summer beer, nice, different, but a bit pedestrian. Still, could see it being a hit at parties as it is unlikely to offend and just enough going to be interesting.

Hand carried back from Maryland

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for throwing a can of this my way. Poured into my Chimay chalice a cloudy yellow color with about a finger of white head that quickly fades into a thin layer. Smells of crisp wheat and watermelon candy. Upon my first sip, yeah there's watermelon in here. Having a hard time figuring out whether watermelon extract or watermelon puree/pulp is used is this brew. Not sure you'd get this type of Jolly Rancher flavor from real watermelon pulp. Regardless, this tastes just as the label states which to me, is a good thing since I am a fan of watermelon. Mouthfeel is slightly lacking with bothe body and carbonation coming in a notch below medium. If this was more accessible, I'd have it on hand all the time from spring till fall.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance is a light golden straw with a thick foamy head that sticks around with a lot of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Smell of light fruit, perhaps watermelon, light honey. Taste is very light, I was honestly expecting more watermelon than wheat, but there is still a faint note having a light graininess to it. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. It's not a bad wheat, nice and light and easy to drink.

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

12 ounce can..."Yeast inside-agitate before opening" nice to see towards the top of the can. Pours cloucy lemony and still, w/o bubbles rising to the top. Quickly departing head and leaves no lace. I believe I do get a slight wiff of watermelon rind on the nose. Light and fruity, some might say watery even...Perhaps a hint of watermelon on the tongue...Lawn mower/very hot day beer...

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

Clear bright yellow colored liquid. A half an inch of white head topped this for a minute before fading. Almost no carbonation rising bubbles to note.

Watermelon is definitely the strongest aroma in the beer. A hint of wheat hit the nose first before being overpowered by the fruit. No hint of hops in the scent.

Watermelon is quite strong on the tongue. Wheat is also very prominent. A very faint bitterness and a plastic aftertaste finish up each sip.

Decent thickness, and a slight carbonation tingle. The off tastes cling without leaving watermelon flavors.

An OK brew. Works by itself on a hot summer day. A good beer to quench your thirst. Worthy a try for fruit lovers, and getting easier to find.

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%

This is one I have been wanting to try. Thanks to BrewerB for sending it my way.

A: Pours a cloudy murky light straw color with a big tall rocky head. The retention is great and nice big sheets of lace run all the way down the glass.

S: Very faint in the aroma. Not a touch of watermelon was detected. What I could pick out were hints of sourness, some wheat, and a hint of sweet fruit.

T: Nice and wheaty up front. A watermelon blast appears and then quickly goes away. It finishes a bit sour with a slight metallic tinge.

M: Light in body with good carbonation.

D: Easy drinking.... Just wish the watermelon lingered a bit longer.

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ordered this to try it since I've read quite a bit about it. Was expecting it to taste like a wine cooler and was pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the watermelon. I other than that, it's a typical non-offensive wheat beer, but I could definitely see drinking a few in the right setting: at the beach, at a picnic, etc.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: It was served on tap and poured into a pint glass. The beer menu listed the abv at 4.9%.

Appearance: The body has a hazy straw yellow color with light foamy head on top. It’s head fizzled out quickly.

Smell: The aroma is fairly light overall. It brings some light wheat malt and white bready maltiness to the nose. It also has nice natural watermelon notes as well as and mild mineral like character.

Taste / Palate: It’s lightly bodied and like it’s aroma it has light pale bready and wheat maltiness with a light sweetness and an equally balanced watermelon flavor. Again like it’s aroma it also has a slight mineral flavor note and just a very light herbal hop bitterness in the finish. Notes: This is definitely a hot summer day or lawn mower beer. It’s thin and light making it easy drinking and interesting. It like that the watermelon taste is natural and some candy like flavoring added to a light wheat beer.

Quick notes:

Pale yellow brew topped by a nice fluffy white head. Aroma is light and bright: yeast, wheat, pale malt, a touch of citrus, and on the very back-end, watermelon.

Flavor follows, with a much more noticeable, nearly vegetal watermelon presence. Green and sweet.

Very drinkable and smooth; light and lively.

This beer is exactly what it's advertised to be. It's a decent wheat beer with a noticeable watermelon flavor. If that's not what you like, you definitely will not like it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cloudy pale gold fluid with a white head that fades quickly leaving no real lace. Smell is wheaty with good amounts of twang and yeast fruitiness. A dry crisp cereal graininess. Flavor is just short of the next score for me. Full bodied wheat core with a perfect amount of watermelon. Juicy body and a dry tart finish that makes it a superb quencher. Finish has a bit of rind and artful hop balance that is mild yet firm. This beer is actually a delicately complex brew. Crisp feel is gently carbonated lending to a great drinkability and refreshing character. One of my new summer favorites and a good choice for the adventurous and open palate.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a light golden straw color with a hint of light green glow to it when you hold it to the light. Minimal head recedes quickly to a thin halo of mist.

S: Almost no smell. Hmmmm. A soft nose of malt with a twist of lemon.

T: Tastes like a basic lager with an aftertaste of artificial watermelon (aka jolly rancher). It's not too artificial tasting though and I kinda like it.

F: A bit of extra zing to the over carbonation and a dry but not too dry finish.

Overall I am glad I tried it. Would be a good one for a hot day out by the pool. I probably wouldn't try it again but it would be a nice one to help a non beer appreciator over the gap.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

I am lucky enough to have tried this at 21st Amndt. in San Francisco on draft served with a fresh watermelon slice! Yup it is not complete without the fresh fruit. And please don't judge by the from a "can" experience, I think it develops a metal residue flavor which I could actually pick up on. Draft only for this one please. Enjoy

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not going to do a full review on this right now, but I think this is pretty decent; not very complex in the initial taste, but the watermelon is very well done. Since I'm in the middle of a snowstorm in February, I think it will be better if I re-review this beer in the warmer months, and when i'm not in the midst of a beer tasting marathon!

But if you like fruited beers, you'll enjoy this - just don't expect tremendous complexity.

...
After a summer of drinking this periodically, my review:

Appearance -- Pours a clear pale gold, with a minimal white head. Surprised that it doesn't have more umph in the carbonation since it is canned, but I'm not exactly sure why I expected that.

Smell - Toasty malt, wheat, very slight sweet watermelon, and a bit of hops. It really doesn't smell much like I was expecting - more like malt than fruit or fresh wheat, but still like good beer!

Taste - This tastes like a wheat beer, but the aftertaste is a bit like that weird taste cereal leaves in your mouth. I'm not sure what the correct descriptor is for that. The malt seems more prominent than in most good wheat beers, but it's still well balanced, and it has a nice tinge of jolly rancher watermelon. What is lacking is complexity - probably needs more fruit and some other flavors/spices added to round it out. In other words, I love the idea of this beer, so I'm hoping they experiment with the formula a little bit more for next summer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with low carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm still a fan of this for hot outdoor events during the summer - it sure beats a miller light! Heavy enough to feel like you're actually drinking something, but light enough that you could have a few because it's easy on the palate. A great summer beer.

3.61/5  rDev +9.7%

Hazy light golden in body with fading white head. Smells of weak watermelon, wheat and light floral notes. Tastes of light floral, wheat, watermelon in the background, some light grains and a dry ending. Having the watermelon as an undertone makes for a refreshing session. Medium carbonation with light body. Cloying mouthfeel. Perfect for MDW down the shore.

3.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Florida Beer Co. tapered glass. Bottom of can says Enjoy By 06/30/14. Damn cardboard six-pack packaging...

A- Pours a hazy dark golden color very similar to the way cider looks with a 1/2 inch white head that retains a bit before becoming a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and nearly no surface foam. No lacing to speak of.

S- Weak wheat beer smell. Hint of generic watermelon.

T- Starts out with that standard light wheat taste and then comes the watermelon that's very apparent but also somewhat subtle. The watermelon is a bit artificial tasting but luckily it's not too sweet so it remains manageable. Easy to drink, almost too easy. Watermelon aftertaste is OK.

M- Slightly syrupy with medium carbonation and a light body.

O- This beer serves its purpose as an innocuous, inoffensive wheat beer with some watermelon flavoring thrown in to make it a bit different. It's a quaffer, great for music festivals and sporting events where you just want something semi-refreshing and accessible to gulp and share with friends. Especially good for the non-beer-loving females. In the overall scheme of things though, there are much better things to be drank out there.

3.62/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours up cloudy gold with a quickly dissipating white head that disappears completely

S - Has slight cider aroma. Not what I was expecting.

T - Starts with a very subtle grain flavor, and finished with a faint watermelon taste lingering in my mouth.

M - Surprisingly full bodied.

D - Very drinkable, not too cloying.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery