Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Ratings: 2,755 |  Reviews: 746
2.98/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.98/5  rDev -9.7%

I got this can in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

It's a nice cloudy yellow gold pour. Fairly large head shrinks fairly quickly, some lacing.

The smell has a strong watermelon presence but I also get a touch of some yeast.

The taste is the same as the nose. Lots of watermelon that mellows out some after a few sips, candy sugar sweetness, some lemon zest peeks through, a little yeast, quite flavourful over all but...I'm not a huge fan of watermelon so finishing the can will be a chore for me. Interesting concept for sure though.

2.99/5  rDev -9.4%

A- 12 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Tried this a while back, from notes: Pours hazy yellow with a finger of fizzy white head. Decent retention but no appreciable amount of lacing.

S- Very bland in the aroma department. Has a light grainy aroma, can't really seem to detect any watermelon in this. Maybe if I try real hard...

T- Hints of watermelon are in the taste but still has a dominant grainy flavor to it. Not really what I was expecting.

M- Light body, very fizzy mouthfeel due to the amount of carbonation.

D- Light enough to consume easily, but the flavor doesn't really do it for me. Glad I go to try it, but definitely wouldn't have it again.

2.99/5  rDev -9.4%

Decent summer beer. Smells like a wheat. Very light but realistic watermelon after taste , not like watermelon candy. Not too wheat yeasty. Light on the tummy so drinking several is easy. Clean beer.

12 oz. can, 2014 edition, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, hazy, golden, yellow/straw color with a quarter of a finger of very white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that only covered maybe a quarter of the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, actually, which is both surprising and disappointing. I actually don’t get any aromas what-so-ever.

Taste: However, this beer has a lot of flavor, predominately watermelon. Strong, fruity, crisp, semi-sweet, yet slightly sour flavors of watermelon up front, followed by some honey, slightly toasted wheat and some floral, grassy flavors. But the predominate flavor is watermelon. Actually, the beer’s flavor reminds me a lot of the watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher® candy.

Mouth feel: Medium-bodied and very crisp as there’s quite a lot of carbonation to this beer. With an ABV of 4.9%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Interesting beer. Lots of watermelon, a little wheat, and a touch of honey. Interesting. I’m not sure if I like it, but I do find in intriguing.

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Mildly hazy golden yellow. Not much carbonation at all.

Smell: Light beer aromas and watermelon, though it doesn't seem like syrupy extract, and it probably is.

Taste: Domestic macro grain flavors with a bit of watermelon. Not much else.

Mouthfeel: Lighter-bodied, watery, with mild a carbonation burst near the tail end.

Drinkability: I bought a six-pack for my wife, who's a watermelon fiend, and even though she told me I couldn't have one, I'm having one now. I don't think I'll have another one. I imagine, however, that some folks would dig it, under the right circumstances.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery