Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

Alströms:
3.5

Ratings: 2,804 |  Reviews: 759
2.55/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce can - $5.25 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a hazed, light yellow body with a small, quickly evaporating, white head.

Smell: Huh. No more than a very nominal wheat character and the purported fruit addition provides for a mere hint of greenish, vegetal tones. You could've said it was zucchinis and I would've gone along with it.

Taste: Lightly sweet, minor taste of wheat malt. Faintly grainy. Near nil bitterness throughout. Thin trace of watermelon husks which holds until the flat, yawnworthy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Sorry, but this one just didn't do it for me. It's difficult for me to be particularly interested in a bland wheat ale with a boring watermelon character. Bummer.

3.37/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A: Light in color with a lot of bubbles. Very little head and no lacing.

S: Not a big nose, the watermelon is there, but faintly and not a lot else.

T: The watermelon is apparent on the front, but fades relatively fast. As the beer warms the watermelon flavor last a little bit longer. I wish it was a little bit stronger overall. The wheat flavor is pretty obvious here too.

M/D: Easy to drink, and would probably be better on a hot day outside. I could see myself bringing it to a BBQ or dinner, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one, and would give the rest out.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Muddy lemon with a significant yeasty blurriness. The ivory colored crown maxed out at several fingers and looks good enough, both after the pour and as it descends. I like the lack of clarity and the attractive array of frost-like lace.

If I use my imagination, there *might* be a whiff of watermelon in the nose. Otherwise, the beer smells dull and not very distinctive, like an especially tart 'n tangy APWA. The flavor has some serious work to do. As is often the case, warming opens things up enough for the next highest score to be granted.

Hallelujah! Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer actually tastes like the fruit for which it's named. This is one unique beer. It gets high marks for having just the right amount of fruit flavor and for tasting natural rather than artificial. I guess that's what happens when 400 lbs of melons are used per batch.

The base beer is less than outstanding. There isn't much malt, it tastes a bit grainy and there's a little too much bitterness. Maltier and sweeter would be better, as long as the amount and quality of the watermelon juiciness remains the same. The finish is kinda, sorta crisp and quenching.

Although it isn't wonderful, the mouthfeel has just enough going for it to be considered above average. It's light-medium, is firmer than it is smooth and is generously bubbled. Not bad... not bad.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat succeeds because it tastes authentically watermelon-like. That's a good start. Here's hoping that 21st Amendment isn't completely satisfied and continues to tweak the recipe. Thanks to Georgiabeer for the opportunity.

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%

This is my entry for this week's Watermelon Wednesday on W, 07/27/2016. Color is a hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). My original review follows:

CAN I give a shout-out to my man Shaun right now? I looove craft beer in a CAN and he is my hookup!

Before we begin today's review, let me tell you a bit more about truth in advertising - I chastised Miller Lite for their sneaky "TM" B/S business yesterday and today, credit must be given where credit is due. The very top of the can, just below the rim, read "Yeast Inside - Agitate Before Opening". I love to agitate yeast, so I told it that it was dead, its mom was as stinky as Brett, it couldn't ferment its way out of a paper bag, and on and on. Finally, after it refused to rise to the bait, I gently inverted the can, reverted it to an upright position, and repeated the process until it was, indeed, agitated.

Onward!

I got a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that simply dropped into wisps. Oh well. The color was a supremely hazy (no duh! see above) lemony yellow. The nose was definitely wheat beer and I can say that, having attended the SPTR Wheaties Fest last Saturday. It had a light scent of being out in a field at the height of growing season as the breeze blows on a warm day, underlain by a light black pepper spiciness. No watermelon on the nose, though. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a light, wheat flavor on the palate. Where was the watermelon? On the finish! Ho, this suddenly put me in mind of a watermelon-eating contest at the Henderson's farm on a 4th of July of my youth! Suddenly, watermelon was prevalent. Should I sprinkle some salt on the top of my next one? Yoi!

Drinkability: Well, in the heat of summer with the clothes on the line to conserve energy, perfect! In the dead of winter, coming home from a long day with the freshmen, no so much. Plus, it probably helps if you like watermelon.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

I got a can of this one as an extra recently and decided to open in it up with lunch the other day. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was enjoyed on 08/30/2009.

The pour was very nice, light with a big fizzy white head on top. Lots of carbonation was visible throughout the session, really a very lively looking beer through the light yellow color. Aroma was light, small hop notes, hints of light candy, like a jolly rancher almost with a light touch of grain. Same goes for the taste. Clea, crisp and very refreshing it was an easy session beer for me. Very light, with a candy like aftetaste, it really did taste like they brewed it with a jolly rancher, just really had that kind of flavor. Not much aftertaste and to be honest it went down like water for me.

Overall nicely done. I would go here again, why not. A bit light for me to really call it a fruit beer, but I have had some damn nice fruit beers lately. Still more then decent though.

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

I purchased this at Shawan in Liquors in Md. Poured chilled from the can into a goblet

A - a hazy light marigold color w/ 2 fingers of soapy head w/ tiny bead, The wheat has good retention as lace clings to the glass

S - The smell has a malty, creamy wheat aroma w/ slight fresh mown hay scent and mild sweet esters w/ subtle wheat toastiness

M - The feel has mild sweetness and relatively full body for the strength w/ a high effervescent intro and sweet middle, but drops off significantly and finishes smooth and clean

T - A crisp wheat flavor w/ mild watermelon note w/ light fruit ans subtle rind taste w/ toasty, creamy wheat flavor. The flavor finishes off w/ slightly sweet and mild watermelon juice flavor.

D - A really drinkable wheat w/ nice complimentary watermelon taste - not overdone and adds to the overall drinkability - a refreshing wheat/fruit combo.

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a pale golden-yellow color with 2-3 inches of white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, fruit, and sweet malts. Hints of watermelon, not not that much

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbontion. Crisp and easy to drink.

d - A very easy to drink beer but nothing crazy. If you like wheat/bread and hints of watermellon you might enjoy this one more. Probably wouldn't have again.

3.45/5  rDev +3%

On-tap at 21A

A: The beer comes with a small piece of watermelon affixed to the glass (a la an orange/lemon with hefeweizens of ill-repute). The beer is a slightly hazed straw color.

S: The nose definitely exhibits some watermelon, but it is more watermelon rind in nature. A bit of sweet, bread malt underneath.

T: Plenty of watermelon flavor, so at least it lives up to its name. Mostly watermelon rind and watermelon jolly rancher with just a hint of wheat.

M: The body is on the lighter side with plentiful carbonation.

D: I don't know how much of this I'd actually be interested in drinking at a time, but it's not a bad beer. Quite refreshing and better than some of the other beers that were on tap.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

3.67/5  rDev +9.6%

I was in Ohio and we picked up a 6 pack of cans from local store. The beer poured a hazy golden yellow..almost like a farmhouse cider, tiny white bubbly head, with no lacing. There was definitely some melon in the aroma and also in the taste. Malt and wheat balanced the beer in both smeel and taste. The mouthfeel was light in body and good carbonation. Overall a decent beer, probably better served in the summer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

A: A very pale yellow appearance. This is beer is very clear with plenty of effervescence. There is a big, white, fluffy head (due to an aggressive pour) that quickly fades down to about an eight of an inch and leaves some decent lacing throughout the glass, though that disappears in a couple of minutes.

S: The aromas are simple with scents of watermelon jolly ranchers with a little bit of wheat.

T: This beer is refreshing and tasty. I just mowed the lawn, and this is a good beer to pair with summer yard work. The watermelon taste is very present, which I like. I get a bit frustrated when I get a fruit beer and the fruit is so subtle it's hardly detectable. This beer is exactly what it says on the can, and I can respect that. That being said, I'm just not sure that I dig watermelons in my beer.

M: The feel is a bit thin, and has a slight burn in the back (possibly from the fruit?). I would prefer a little more wheat malt backbone and a slightly thicker feel, though I realize this is a low abv summer beer.

D: A good summer beer. One is plenty for me, as I would grow tired of any watermelon beer fairly quickly. Give it a try.

3.06/5  rDev -8.7%

Can from the infamous GCG
Hazy murky straw color with a frothy tightly bubbled white head. Earthy wheat with hints of watermelon rind. The flavor feels more like cantaloupe with a bready spicy almost rancid light candied flavor to it. I find this completely bland and can't see a reason to ever put this to my lips again.

3.52/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Pale pils body, slightly cloudy. Slow, rising carbonation. Foamy white head.

S - Crisp, floral hops and dry malt. Sweet, white bread starches, and yeast. Touc of candy sugar.

T - Slightly chewy sweet wheat. Mild malt and dry hops. Some floral hop notes and a hint of watermelon candy.

M - Light and drinkable, with no real punch. Just an easy summer beer.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a can into a SA perfect pint glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with less than a finger of white head that fizzles away fairly fast. Absolutely no lacing to be found on the glass. Aroma of this beer opened up initially with almost a fake overkill watermelon smell that quickly subsided and took a back seat to the other scents of wheat, slight note of citrus, more watermelon (quite faint and only because im searching for it due to the nature of this particular brew) and a touch of sulfur. Hops present themselves with a slight bit of grassy character. Taste has an immediately evident flavor of watermelon that turns a bit ackward in flavor almost like you were eating a watermelon and started chewing the white part too close to the rind... Also included in the flavor is a bit of the sulfur that was evident in the aroma and an aftertaste that is some strange mix of watermelon rind and grass. Light feel with this beer and a high amount of carbonation.

I gotta tip my hat to the brewers for being creative with this one but I won't drink it again. It is to be commended that the watermelon flavor that was included seemed quite natural and not overkill artificial watermelon flavor like candy.

3.69/5  rDev +10.1%

Can label reads agitate before opening, what's wrong with waiting to agitate while the beer is in the last couple inches of the bottom. I just had the draft Live Free or Die IPA at Mad Mex so instead of the canned IPA I opted for a six of this and a four pack of the Monk's Blood since I've never seen or heard of that one. This one pours a clouded lemonade esque golden sunshine hue with bright white head forming and dissipating quickly. Minimal speckled lacing is left on the sides of my glass. Aromatics offer up a tame laid back sweetness from the sharp citrus wheat back bone. Fruity watermelon layers with pretty much absent hop additions. I like the low alcohol fruit vibe kick every now and again. A chalky yeast and minimal floral note wrapped within the watermelon puree, this stuff smells inviting and not candy sweet which is definitely a good thing. Flavor is light with juicy edges almost like bubblegum edges to it, but the watermelon puree acts as a refresher in this mix. Some hard mineral water action with a yeast wheat infused malt backbone, really straight forward flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky but not syrupy in anyway smooth ample carbonation levels, it's nice to see this available in the Burgh at Giant Eagle Marketplace. Drinkability was easy going a refreshing summer time beer that I'm sure will go over with the ladies out there. For me it was worth the experience but this isn't something that is going to replace the session IPA or pale ale anytime soon.

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

A - copper with a reddish tinge; thick, white head; good retention

S - grains, wheat, grass, faint watermelon

T - light watermelon, grains, wheat, grass

M - light bodied, smooth, little carbonation

This is a light, easy drinking beer. It's not very sweet and the watermelon doesn't really shine through. It's drinkability though makes it a refreshing summer beer.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75