Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Reviews: 732 | Ratings: 2,708
3.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours your typical sort-of-amberish-golden wheat color. The color is actually somewhat of a surprise as you're expecting perhaps some red from the watermelon. Smell is very, very faint, nothing really to pick out from a hazy wheat body. Flavor is average wheat with the slightest bit of watermelon in there, true watermelon, not watermelon-flavor the way a jolly rancher or other candy is labeled as "watermelon" then tastes nothing at all like the fruit. Its a watery (the way the fruit is a very wateryfruit) presence with a hint of sweetness. Mouth and drinkability are also fairly typical of wheat style. Mouth is light and sort of unnoticeable. Drinkability scores it some points as you could probably drink a ton of them, as long as you like the flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: straw, cloudy. no head

S: grainy but mellow. very very faint of melon

T: grainy, again and faint melon. not the biggest fan

M: best attribute, tingly, welcoming

2.84/5  rDev -13.9%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible.

3.86/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden yellow with big frothy head. Smells of watermelon jolly ranchers and wheat. Taste has slight watermelon, with sleely american wheat beer yaste. Medium bodied somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Overall a good summer beer with the waremelon flavor covering up the undesirable american wheat beer aspects.,

3.72/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours pale gold in color with a big white head. Smells of typical wheat beer aromas with a little soapiness and some watermelon. Flavor is light and crisp with apparent, but not overwhelming watermelon notes. I like this, it's unique but well executed. Good summer brew.

4.31/5  rDev +30.6%

Really refreshing beer. I can sit back and throw down multiples of these on a nice summer day. There is a hint of watermelon on the nose. The finish is where the watermelon really shows up. It's not forward or subtle but you get the watermelon. Tasty stuff.

3.42/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden color and is topped with an inch of white head that disappears very quickly.
Smell: The aroma of this beer is just what I expect and nice wheat aroma and is followed by a hint of sweet smelling watermelon aroma.
Taste: I don’t taste the watermelon but I really didn’t expect to as fragile as a watermelon flavor is. This is a very tasty wheat beer with a solid wheat malt base no hops and maybe a hint of the watermelon flavor but not much.
Mouthfeel: This is a very light bodied and easy drinking summer brew that may not stand out in a crowd but is a good beer for a day at the lake.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

4.44/5  rDev +34.5%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it.

3.54/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Yellow cloudy no head.

S- Wonderful malt balance with the watermelon.

T- Good watermelon flavors but not over powering the malts with a nice clean end.

M- Crisp and active nice complement to the taste.

D- Very easy on a warm day or when the apartment is hot a little more watermelon would be good.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance- Piss yellow, cloudy, very thin head

Smell- Cotton candy, lemon

Taste- Like a Bud Light with artificial melon flavor

Mouthfeel- Fizzy, overcarbonated, thin

Overall- Meh. More water than melon.

3.84/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

"Enjoy by 6/30/15"; drank 5/3/15 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from a can into a glass.

Semi-opaque dull yellow appearance.

HUGE white head; decent lace.

Watermelon & faint dandelion funk notes in the nose.

Thin mouthfeel.

Clean, crisp watermelon flavor up front; mild wheat funk notes on the finish. Not super flavorful, but this would do on a hot summer day.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a shaker pint. Sickly pinkish yellow color with a big bubble head that quickly disappears. No lacing. Watermelon is the predominant aroma. And it tastes like watermelon too. If not for the watermelon there would be little if any flavor. Could not drink much of this. Great name and I'm saving the can but I don't think I'll be having any more.

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Served in a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a white head that reduces to a very thin layer, but never disappears.

Aroma is very much a wheat, but sweeter. You can smell a fruitiness, but I'm not sure i would have said 'watermelon' if i didn't know. The taste is very fresh and unique and mild. There are flavors of wheat and fruit, but it seems to be more of the rind than the sweet fruit. It is much more clearly watermelon. It's highly carbonated, but easy drinking. A great summer beer.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Pours a golden citrus orange with light blonde and gold highlights. Head is marshmallow white and billows up quickly before quickly disappearing. Lacing is next to nothing.

S: Hints of pale malts, grains, and a drop of vanilla. There is a tad of watermelon and berry in the aroma though they are very faint.

T: The first sip really caught me off guard as the artificial watermelon flavor was more pronounced then I had expected. However, after a few sips I settled into the taste and found it subtle enough and pretty good. Solid malty tastes seemed to balance well against the watermelon. Even a slight lemon tang with some piney hops towards the end.

M: Relatively thin but still crisp and refreshing.

D: I did not know what to expect with this beer and considering the style and its uniqueness it was very solid. Perfect for a day when you want to drink but not feel weighed down by some of the heavier choices out there. Can lists ABV at 4.9%.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

3.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ordered this to try it since I've read quite a bit about it. Was expecting it to taste like a wine cooler and was pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the watermelon. I other than that, it's a typical non-offensive wheat beer, but I could definitely see drinking a few in the right setting: at the beach, at a picnic, etc.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

3.02/5  rDev -8.5%

A- A nice cloudy yellow color.

S- Watermelon and wheat.

T- Watermelon not sweet like a watermelon should be. Other then that just another wheat beer.

M- Very moist. Can taste the watermelon through out sip.

D- Not impress with this at all. It need to be sweeter and maybe add some other flavors to enhance the watermelon more.

uuuuhhh wow I am a little suprised at myself right now for liking this beer. My gut said no because I can't stand wheat beers latly but the draw to something new won in the end.

looks- poured out of a 12 oz can bought at the boise co-op in the Boise Idaho's Northend. looks like a light hef.

Smell- watermelon on low side. not to strong but refreshing
Taste- I wasn't sure what to think at at first but there is a sweat refreshment to it with true watermelon and yeah a little wheat in there. I would say it is less beer then I expected.

mouthfeel- High in carbonization

Overall this beer is right. I wouldn't reach for two in a row but I did enjoy it and think I will have another one in the future....

3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served out of a 12oz. can dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Love the look of the packaging and the graphics on the can.

Appearance - Pours a hazy cloudy golden color with a 2 finger white head that quickly dissipates into nothing. No lacing at all.

Smell - Smell of wheat and sweet malts with a tart citrus hint. Very Very fruity watermelon smell.

Taste - Tastes of a heavy wheat on the front end with a hint of watermelon on the backend. A tartness throughout.

Mouthfeel - No carbonataion which lead to a heavy almost juice like mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Didnt care for the mouthfeel on this which makes it not so drinkable for me. Taste was ok.

I expected much better and really didnt care for the mouthfeel. Not really something I would get again.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Snow white head, very light straw in color. Lots of wheat on the aroma with a subtle amount of watermelon, there is almost a tartness to the aroma.
Wheat on the front of this beer that quickly transitions to watermelon. This lasts for a few sips and the intense flavor of the watermelon dissipates. This is a very bright and crisp beer very light mouth feel . This beer at the start has a candy like quality to it. The watermelon is a little strong at the start but this subsides quickly and the beer has this nice light fruit flavor to it.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery