Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Reviews: 735 | Ratings: 2,730
2.99/5  rDev -9.4%

A- 12 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Tried this a while back, from notes: Pours hazy yellow with a finger of fizzy white head. Decent retention but no appreciable amount of lacing.

S- Very bland in the aroma department. Has a light grainy aroma, can't really seem to detect any watermelon in this. Maybe if I try real hard...

T- Hints of watermelon are in the taste but still has a dominant grainy flavor to it. Not really what I was expecting.

M- Light body, very fizzy mouthfeel due to the amount of carbonation.

D- Light enough to consume easily, but the flavor doesn't really do it for me. Glad I go to try it, but definitely wouldn't have it again.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance- Piss yellow, cloudy, very thin head

Smell- Cotton candy, lemon

Taste- Like a Bud Light with artificial melon flavor

Mouthfeel- Fizzy, overcarbonated, thin

Overall- Meh. More water than melon.

3.53/5  rDev +7%

Can to weizen glass. The beer looks 'bud light' yellow. There are plenty of bubbles constantly throughout the beer giving it a consistent head of 1/8 of an inch or so.

There is a hint of watermelon on the nose. Malt smells also come through though. The taste of the beer is very light and crisp. The watermelon is not overpowering but does enhance the flavor. It leaves you with a bit of a dry mouthfeel on the end.

This would be a great hot weather beer. I personally think it's awesome that more good beer is going in cans. Lots of things are enhanced here: portability, coozie usage, conversation, etc. Plus you can take them on a boat without worrying about breaking glass.

I'll definitely reach for this one again in July and August.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: straw, cloudy. no head

S: grainy but mellow. very very faint of melon

T: grainy, again and faint melon. not the biggest fan

M: best attribute, tingly, welcoming

3.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can. Pours a clear yellow color with a distinct watermelon aroma. Taste is purely watermelon with a clean refreshing flavor throughout. A light wheat beer that quenched my thirst but was overwhelming with watermelon.

3.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours your typical sort-of-amberish-golden wheat color. The color is actually somewhat of a surprise as you're expecting perhaps some red from the watermelon. Smell is very, very faint, nothing really to pick out from a hazy wheat body. Flavor is average wheat with the slightest bit of watermelon in there, true watermelon, not watermelon-flavor the way a jolly rancher or other candy is labeled as "watermelon" then tastes nothing at all like the fruit. Its a watery (the way the fruit is a very wateryfruit) presence with a hint of sweetness. Mouth and drinkability are also fairly typical of wheat style. Mouth is light and sort of unnoticeable. Drinkability scores it some points as you could probably drink a ton of them, as long as you like the flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

poured from 12oz can into pint glass

A-Pours a pale straw yellow with head that rises and falls quickly

S-smells fruity not necessarily watermelon though

T-Watermelon is there, don't know if I would know that it was a wheat beer if it didn't say so on the can.

M-good carbonation, maybe a little watery

O-MIght make a good beer to have occasionally on a hot day, but I can't get them around here so it will be very occasionally for me.

3.22/5  rDev -2.4%

From my beer journal. Originally reviewed on June 12, 2011.

A: Light straw color. A tiny bit cloudy. About one finger of head that quickly departed.

S: Smells tasty like a watermelon. A bit of maltiness. Mostly sweet. Not a lot of depth.

T: Sweetness up front with a tinge of watermelon and a hint of wheat that gets harder to taste as you go on. A very bland finish.

M: Light to medium body, could definitely use more carbonation.

O: This was a little too soda like. Wouldn't buy this again. I can respect 21st for trying this though.

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

This brew pours a light golden straw color with one centimeter of thin, puffy head. I've seen hazier wheat beers as well but it still looks good. The smell is light, a bit of watermelon and soft grainy notes as well.

Glug glug glug

This flavor is bigger than the smell but very restrained, which works for the style. The watermelon aspect is better than I would have thought. If anything it tastes a bit 'fake' somehow, like how a lollipop approximates flavor. This being said it isn't bad but it feels unnatural. The more traditional aspects are good and the drinkability is high. This would likely be better if it were fresher. Also the more I drink this the more the watermelon flavor becomes watery, rather the sweetness from the impact isn't strong enough to last.

3.72/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours pale gold in color with a big white head. Smells of typical wheat beer aromas with a little soapiness and some watermelon. Flavor is light and crisp with apparent, but not overwhelming watermelon notes. I like this, it's unique but well executed. Good summer brew.

2.84/5  rDev -13.9%

Kind of a let down. Picked up a six pack of this for a really hot day in hopes of sipping at a refreshing summer beer. The watermelon flavor doesn’t really mesh with the beer well. It tastes really artificial like watermelon candy. If you want a watermelon beer I would recommend Thomas Hooker if possible.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

3.86/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden yellow with big frothy head. Smells of watermelon jolly ranchers and wheat. Taste has slight watermelon, with sleely american wheat beer yaste. Medium bodied somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Overall a good summer beer with the waremelon flavor covering up the undesirable american wheat beer aspects.,

4.31/5  rDev +30.6%

Really refreshing beer. I can sit back and throw down multiples of these on a nice summer day. There is a hint of watermelon on the nose. The finish is where the watermelon really shows up. It's not forward or subtle but you get the watermelon. Tasty stuff.

3.42/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden color and is topped with an inch of white head that disappears very quickly.
Smell: The aroma of this beer is just what I expect and nice wheat aroma and is followed by a hint of sweet smelling watermelon aroma.
Taste: I don’t taste the watermelon but I really didn’t expect to as fragile as a watermelon flavor is. This is a very tasty wheat beer with a solid wheat malt base no hops and maybe a hint of the watermelon flavor but not much.
Mouthfeel: This is a very light bodied and easy drinking summer brew that may not stand out in a crowd but is a good beer for a day at the lake.

3.54/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Yellow cloudy no head.

S- Wonderful malt balance with the watermelon.

T- Good watermelon flavors but not over powering the malts with a nice clean end.

M- Crisp and active nice complement to the taste.

D- Very easy on a warm day or when the apartment is hot a little more watermelon would be good.

4.01/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very nice appearance pouring out as a light straw colored very clear beer. Lots of streaming bubbles and a topping of a white foamy head that does not hang around long.

Smell is like a sweet bread, almost like that great Hawaiian sweet bread you can pick up at the store. Very pleasant aroma.

Taste is extremely light with the watermelon definitely present. Without the watermelon in here this would be a very bland beer.

Mouth is very light and watery with a crisp finish.

This was a very light and refreshing beer. I can see this as being a great beer for the summertime. The beer is very light and watery and has a low ABV so a person could drink a few while out with friends. Since it is in a can this would be nice to take to the pool as well. Another area where this would shine would be at a BBQ. What a nice pleasant beer to wash down those burgers and brats hot off the grill.

3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a shaker pint. Sickly pinkish yellow color with a big bubble head that quickly disappears. No lacing. Watermelon is the predominant aroma. And it tastes like watermelon too. If not for the watermelon there would be little if any flavor. Could not drink much of this. Great name and I'm saving the can but I don't think I'll be having any more.

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Served in a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a white head that reduces to a very thin layer, but never disappears.

Aroma is very much a wheat, but sweeter. You can smell a fruitiness, but I'm not sure i would have said 'watermelon' if i didn't know. The taste is very fresh and unique and mild. There are flavors of wheat and fruit, but it seems to be more of the rind than the sweet fruit. It is much more clearly watermelon. It's highly carbonated, but easy drinking. A great summer beer.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Pours a golden citrus orange with light blonde and gold highlights. Head is marshmallow white and billows up quickly before quickly disappearing. Lacing is next to nothing.

S: Hints of pale malts, grains, and a drop of vanilla. There is a tad of watermelon and berry in the aroma though they are very faint.

T: The first sip really caught me off guard as the artificial watermelon flavor was more pronounced then I had expected. However, after a few sips I settled into the taste and found it subtle enough and pretty good. Solid malty tastes seemed to balance well against the watermelon. Even a slight lemon tang with some piney hops towards the end.

M: Relatively thin but still crisp and refreshing.

D: I did not know what to expect with this beer and considering the style and its uniqueness it was very solid. Perfect for a day when you want to drink but not feel weighed down by some of the heavier choices out there. Can lists ABV at 4.9%.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

3.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ordered this to try it since I've read quite a bit about it. Was expecting it to taste like a wine cooler and was pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the watermelon. I other than that, it's a typical non-offensive wheat beer, but I could definitely see drinking a few in the right setting: at the beach, at a picnic, etc.

3.14/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery