Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 722 | Ratings: 2,673
4.04/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day.

3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into a shaker pint. Sickly pinkish yellow color with a big bubble head that quickly disappears. No lacing. Watermelon is the predominant aroma. And it tastes like watermelon too. If not for the watermelon there would be little if any flavor. Could not drink much of this. Great name and I'm saving the can but I don't think I'll be having any more.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Served in a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a white head that reduces to a very thin layer, but never disappears.

Aroma is very much a wheat, but sweeter. You can smell a fruitiness, but I'm not sure i would have said 'watermelon' if i didn't know. The taste is very fresh and unique and mild. There are flavors of wheat and fruit, but it seems to be more of the rind than the sweet fruit. It is much more clearly watermelon. It's highly carbonated, but easy drinking. A great summer beer.

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a hazy light yellow color, very pale. Forms a nice 3 finger white head that recedes after about 5 minutes leaving a thin foam cap on top of the beer. Lacing is average.

Smell is malts, bread, light citrus/lemon, light sweet fruits, mainly watermelon and coconut.

Taste begins with malt, bread and wheat and progresses to some sweet watermelon notes that are very mild but persist up until the end of the sip and aftertaste. Also there is a discrete aromatic/spicy hop presence contributing to light bitterness towards the finish.

Very light in body and easy to drink. High carbonation jacks up the drinkability. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery as both the malts and watermelon are very subdued.

Not a very flavorful beer at all but it sure is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is definitely worth trying but that's about it.

3.97/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Pours a golden citrus orange with light blonde and gold highlights. Head is marshmallow white and billows up quickly before quickly disappearing. Lacing is next to nothing.

S: Hints of pale malts, grains, and a drop of vanilla. There is a tad of watermelon and berry in the aroma though they are very faint.

T: The first sip really caught me off guard as the artificial watermelon flavor was more pronounced then I had expected. However, after a few sips I settled into the taste and found it subtle enough and pretty good. Solid malty tastes seemed to balance well against the watermelon. Even a slight lemon tang with some piney hops towards the end.

M: Relatively thin but still crisp and refreshing.

D: I did not know what to expect with this beer and considering the style and its uniqueness it was very solid. Perfect for a day when you want to drink but not feel weighed down by some of the heavier choices out there. Can lists ABV at 4.9%.

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured a cloudy pale yellow with moderate carbonation. I poured too fast, so I ended up with a tall head that dissipated rather quickly.

The nose is quite pleasant. Light, sweet grains with just a touch of yeast, citrus and candy. This did not really prepare me for the taste. I got the grains on the front of the mouth, but ended up with this jolly rancher back of the mouth taste and aftertaste. After a few sips, I could only discen the candy.

Even with that the mouthfeel is pretty good, the beer didn't cloy, but due to an anamnestic response to jolly rogers, I had this wierd "sticky" sensation.

If you like watermelon and jolly ranchers, this may be a beer for you. I could though give this one more try on a really hot day.

3.14/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can shaker pint, canned on 7/9/12

A: light hazy yellow, with 1.5 finger light white head, recedes slowly, leaves a slight ring. No lacing. Cloudy as I expected
S: light corn/adjunct, a bready sweetness,maybe a light watermelon presence. Not much going on though.

T: wheat, slight adjunct taste, a sweet malt and a slight watermelon taste. Not overpowering, refreshing, and pretty tasty. My expectations were low, but it's pretty nice.

M: nice smoothness from the wheat malt, carbonation is nice, it has a sweet finish. Its not offputting and actually kinda nice.

O: I expected a lackluster,light bodied, overly fruity, overly sweet beer and what I got Was a decent summer beer. Would buy again for the pool or the beach.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

3.02/5  rDev -8.2%

A- A nice cloudy yellow color.

S- Watermelon and wheat.

T- Watermelon not sweet like a watermelon should be. Other then that just another wheat beer.

M- Very moist. Can taste the watermelon through out sip.

D- Not impress with this at all. It need to be sweeter and maybe add some other flavors to enhance the watermelon more.

uuuuhhh wow I am a little suprised at myself right now for liking this beer. My gut said no because I can't stand wheat beers latly but the draw to something new won in the end.

looks- poured out of a 12 oz can bought at the boise co-op in the Boise Idaho's Northend. looks like a light hef.

Smell- watermelon on low side. not to strong but refreshing
Taste- I wasn't sure what to think at at first but there is a sweat refreshment to it with true watermelon and yeah a little wheat in there. I would say it is less beer then I expected.

mouthfeel- High in carbonization

Overall this beer is right. I wouldn't reach for two in a row but I did enjoy it and think I will have another one in the future....

3.3/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served out of a 12oz. can dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Love the look of the packaging and the graphics on the can.

Appearance - Pours a hazy cloudy golden color with a 2 finger white head that quickly dissipates into nothing. No lacing at all.

Smell - Smell of wheat and sweet malts with a tart citrus hint. Very Very fruity watermelon smell.

Taste - Tastes of a heavy wheat on the front end with a hint of watermelon on the backend. A tartness throughout.

Mouthfeel - No carbonataion which lead to a heavy almost juice like mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Didnt care for the mouthfeel on this which makes it not so drinkable for me. Taste was ok.

I expected much better and really didnt care for the mouthfeel. Not really something I would get again.

3.59/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ordered this to try it since I've read quite a bit about it. Was expecting it to taste like a wine cooler and was pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the watermelon. I other than that, it's a typical non-offensive wheat beer, but I could definitely see drinking a few in the right setting: at the beach, at a picnic, etc.

4.44/5  rDev +35%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Snow white head, very light straw in color. Lots of wheat on the aroma with a subtle amount of watermelon, there is almost a tartness to the aroma.
Wheat on the front of this beer that quickly transitions to watermelon. This lasts for a few sips and the intense flavor of the watermelon dissipates. This is a very bright and crisp beer very light mouth feel . This beer at the start has a candy like quality to it. The watermelon is a little strong at the start but this subsides quickly and the beer has this nice light fruit flavor to it.

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours BMC pale yellow with very little head. The aroma is slightly fruity, but not in any way identifiable as watermelon. The taste is not overwhelmingly watermelon like. More like a half ounc of watermelon schnapps dropped into the top of my glass. Refreshingly sweet, I feel that this would be a very popular beer if it were a little bit cheaper. As it is, It wasn't terrible.

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a regular pint, this one's head is about a finger high, white, and creamy. Head fades quickly and lace is little to none. Color of the beer is light yellow and slightly hazy.

The aroma is really weird to me. Smells like wheat, grains, light malts, mixed with a bit of funky sourness, mixed with artificial watermelon, and sweetness. Strange to say the least. Though not entirely bad, not good either.

Taste is a bit better than the aroma, but still not great. Closer to how watermelon tastes, but still seems artificial and watered down. Along with that comes some sweetness and notes of wheat and light malts. That's really about it.

Consistency is crisp, carbonation is light/creamy, body is light, and the finish is short but not gone in an instant. I think the mouthfeel is actually too light overall.

Overall this is not really my cup of tea. An interesting take on a beer, but not something I think I'll seek out again.

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

3.67/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in a pint glass, on-tap at Devil's Den in Philly

Pours a light yellowstraw color, with a medium white head that goes away quickly

There is watermelon in the nose! Fantastic! Not too sweet or fruity, some wheat and malt too. Had this as a gimmick, now interested in the beer.

Easy drinker - the fruit is subtle, - but there, not dominating but obvious.

Thin, a bit watery, but OK, great on a warm day

One was enough for me, no problems at all, just all I wanted.

3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Canned microbrew! The wave of the future! (I hope)

Aroma - definitive sweet watermelon, crisp wheat, clean - no diacetyl, no noticable hops.

Appearance - Hazy golden hue, long lasting white head.

Flavor - Malty, wheat backbone that is slightly tart, pronounced fresh watermelon accent that tastes like real watermelon. Slight hop bitterness, focus is definitely on the blend of fruits. Well attenuated as it has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy texture and a bit of warmth, not astringent. Light-medium bodied.

Overall Impression - This is a really well executed fruit beer, the balance of the base beer is almost perfect. Some critiques... I think a bit more wheaty twang and a spicy phenolic would go really well with the fresh watermelon flavors. Its a really great, easy drinking beer that I would love to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Thanks to barleypop for the can!

3.75/5  rDev +14%

A - Pours a light hazy yellow with virtually no head that quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of. Carbonation starts out strong, but quickly turns into just a few bubbles here and there. Overall, not a very good looking beer.

S - The smell immediately reminded me of bud heavy from the can. Upon taking a second sniff, it seems to just be the combination of watermelon and wheat that give it an off smell. The smell isn't making me want to drink this any more than the appearance.

T - Wow! The appearance and smell don't lead on to what the beer will taste like at all for this one. Don't take this to mean it is absolutely amazing, because it isn't, but it is immensely better than the scent puts on. Very light wheat taste with a constant watermelon background. Very subtle, but it's there. I wanted this beer to be more complex than that, but it just isn't. There's no hops, no malt background, just wheat and watermelon.

M - Good mouthfeel. The light body and moderate carbonation give this beer slightly more for the mouth to focus on than the simple taste. A good smooth summer beer.

D - Very drinkable beer, but what do you expect for it's simplicity and average ABV. You could easily go through a sixer of these at a BBQ or on the beach.

It was good, but I don't know that I will be getting it again at the current price tag near me. Good for the novelty of the beer, but nothing else really.

2.57/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me.

2.72/5  rDev -17.3%

Many thanks to lou91 for sending a beer I've been excited about trying.

Clear golden straw color... almost like watered down honey. Thin white head that quickly fizzles away.

The nose is more akin to pineapple than watermelon. Slight wheat smell and a hint of doughy yeast.

Once again the taste is closer to pineapple but there's some watermelon flavor to it after it warms to room temperature. Dirty unkind wheat flavors.

Not my favorite brew overall but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. I think 21st's small capacity is the best thing this beer has going for it because it keeps people wanting to try it.

2.14/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

2.77/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: pale gold with fizzy white head, some wheat haziness

Aroma: slight watermelon whiff on top of very biscuity and yeasty aroma, no German yeast banana or clove but more of a funky bready yeast smell

Taste: light, tangy, thirst quenching and unmistakeable watermelony. Slight pale malt character but only very little.

Mouthfeel: very light body and very carbonated, tingly in mouth

Overall Impression: A good beer to quench a thirst on a hot day but not much else. Very simplistic and somewhat watery, this beer tastes more like a watermelon flavored lite American lager than a wheat beer from its very very light body.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery