Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

Reviews: 721 | Ratings: 2,673
3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

This was just okay. Body is dark straw colored, initially has a thick and bubbly head that quickly dissipates down to nothing. Smells...not quite watermelon-y. It has a fruity smell to it but honestly it was like nothing I could place, certainly didn't smell like real fruit, but rather something candied and artificial. Taste is similarly strange. It's predominantly wheaty and malt forward, but there's a hint of something like watermelon rind. I didn't get any watermelon juice type flavors or anything else resembling fruit in this. If I wasn't aware it was a watermelon beer, I probably would have never guessed that flavor was any part of watermelon. Feel is pretty light and thin, high carbonation. I thought this beer was a little one dimensional and with a strange, not-quite-watermelon-but-vaguely-fruity quality to it. It would be a solid wheat beer if not for the watermelon, which just seems to muddle it up more.

3.87/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very light , nice watermelon after taste. Great hot day beer. After 2 though the what was great turned into an ok beer. Very wheat like but the initial watermelon taste becomes a bit bad of an aftertaste.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

12oz can poured into a Widmer hefe glass.

A: Hazy yellow straw, no head, no lacing.

S: Rotten vegetables, yeast, some watermelon.

T: A more pronounced watermelon flavor. Slightly sweet, wheaty and malty. Nothing too crazy, pretty subdued flavors.

M: Medium body, but closer to thin. Medium carbonation.

D: Easy drinker, would be good on a hot day if I couldn't find any water. Nothing special.

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz can into no nic pint glass

A - hazy lite yellow with little to no head.

S - watermelon is only apparent with some effort. Overall weak wheat flavor with a tease of melon.

T - again weak wheat base with a tease of melon. With it were more pronounced to be something different. Just not much going on here. Easy to drink but forgettable.

M - light bodied and easy drinking. Finishes as easy as you would expect for such a weak beer.

O - not horrible but not special by any means. Almost interesting enough to seek out but I don't think I'll be having another. At best a novelty but not enough character to be good one.

3.24/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: A hazy brew that is straw yellow, foamy white head fades into some lace.

S: Smell: Not much in the way of smell some wheat tang maybe.

T: Well we have a natural watermelon and some light wheat action happening, the flavor is not offensive but neither is it memorable. Letting this beer warm up does wonders for the flavor.

M: Hmmm it's not watery but its close, lots of carbonation.

D: Easy of the taste buds and the palette, nice on a super hot day

Notes: I was so excited to try this beer, since it just arrived into my area. The beer is not bad, but is not memorable either; I think it needs a little more kick in the flavor department.

3.98/5  rDev +21%

Had this beer twice, and both times it has fallen on the better half of surprise.

I've heard many complaints that this beer is too spritzy and that there isn't enough going on flavor wise. However, I think that these are a couple of its strong points.

It is indeed spritzy, but not in an over-the-top, acidic bubbling on your tongue way. Effervescent is what I would call it.

The flavors are subtle, but with this style, that is the way it should be. Rather than dose this beer with a heavy watermelon Otter-pop juice flavor, the brewers kept it simple and gave the essence of the melon flavor in a dry, very neutral wheat beer base. No noticable hop flavors, which would very much distract from the watermelon.

Aroma is hard to detect, but there is a slight white flour and watermelon in the nose if you get close.

This is a perfect choice for a nice hot day. If I could buy their new cans up here, I'd get a case.

1.06/5  rDev -67.8%

Pale yellow. Aroma is an awful combination of sweetness mixed with pickled rind and layered with sweaty rotten wheat. Bad combination. Bad idea. This beer fails as a fruit beer and as a wheat beer. The taste was an unpleasant gag fest sour something with a hint of wheat. An after taste lingers long after the beer was poured out. I wanted to cry.

3.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light straw color. (Served with a wedge of watermelon on the glass at the brew pub).

Watermelon, citrus, yeasty, pink grapefruit, toasted white bread, grassy.

Soft round notes of cereal, citrus and yeast on the palate. Fairly four-square with a clean, lactic finish.

Medium- bodied with a slightly watery texture.

Refreshing with the watermelon, but fairly simple and needing a little more texture.

(Tasted from sampler at the brew pub).

2.82/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Pale gold, slightly hazy, and big bubbles. Looks like a light wheat.

S: Barely any watermelon, bready grains and yeast.

T: Boring and light. Some weak and bland dried watermelon and light grains. Very slight sweetness and some dryness.

M: Refreshing for the summer and bubbly, it drinks like a light soda.

O: Not my thing. Not enough "punch." It's bland and clean, so it may appeal to people who like lighter tasting beers.

3.57/5  rDev +8.5%

I garnished this with a watermelon slice. This was my 4th of July beer of choice. I had never heard of 21st Amendment Brewery before; this was my first beer from them.

A) straw-colored, in between yellow and amber. Thin white head disappeared quickly, no lacing.

S) mild - wheat, lemon, watermelon

T) Like it smelled, but stronger on the watermelon. But not overpowering.

MF) Fairly crisp, a little thin feeling

D) Very high. Pleasant taste, low-ish (average) ABV, refreshing. Easy to down several of these in a sitting.

Overall, kind of boring but a good summer session beer.

4.4/5  rDev +33.7%

A- A great golden hazy cloud. About 2 fingers of head that goes away but not too quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Yeasty with orange peel and melon rind and tartness

T- Really great and surprising. Its a wheat beer. So, naturally yeasty and orange and coriander spices. But mix in an even, but not overbearing, watermelon hint of flavor and you get another level. Really refreshing.

M- light body and light carbonation. Just right for this style

O- excellent sessional summer beer. Hangin at the lake. In the heat. Whatever. Taste great. I need more.

2.81/5  rDev -14.6%

A-Pours a cloudy golden color with minimal head retention. Looks like a macro lager/hefeweizen combo.

S-I really don't smell anything. Sort of sweet , but nothing else.

T-BIG watermelon taste with this one. Very sweet. Mild hop character on the tongue. Tastes like summer.

M-Very crisp and refreshing. Once again, it screams summer.

O-Overall this a decent brew. I can totally see myself drinking this during the summer months with a hot dog in one hand and this beer in the other watching the Red Sox.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Once in a while you are presented with something you are sure will be atrocious and turns out to be well... just different.

I could review this according to the traditional run through of Serving to Drinkability.

But instead I will say it is predominantly a light wheat beer with all of those characteristics. The watermelon comes in at the end of the sip and is not particularly overbearing. It is in fact a highly palatable beer. It is reminiscent of the watermelon Jolly Rancher or lollipop.

There is less aftertaste than you would expect and the beer has a decent body to it.

having said all this I would not drink a full can of it; it is so far from my taste in beer I can't imagine wasting the blood alcohol and calories on it.

However if you think you may like a wheat beer with a zing of slightly sour, slightly sweet watermelon. In my opinion the watermelon has ruined a good wheat beer in lieu of complimenting it. Thus the reduced taste rating. However this is largely about my aversion to this style versus a flaw in the brewing.

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

This is the first beer I have had from a can in quite some time. I must also say that this is a case of a novelty name getting me to try a beer, and this time I am pleasantly surprised.

Pours clear yellow with thin white head.
not much on the nose.
WOW, watermelon in the taste big time. Very refreshing.
Crisp.
Cool can, the artwork is pretty great..
easy to drink but a bit novel.
I think that this would be a great brew to grill out with, very refreshing and a cool concept I haven't seen in many other beers.

3.94/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours a light pale yellow with a fizzy head. I get at first a nice hoppy wheat ale smell but it is quickly taken over by watermelon. The fruit and wheat ale is actually very balanced. But both feel very average tasting.

1.46/5  rDev -55.6%

Bought a single can to give it a try. I want to like 21st Amendment...

A - Very pale cloudy yellow. No head, little lacing.

S - Smells like slightly rotting organic matter. Maybe the insides of a pumpkin. Maybe the watermelon rinds after two weeks in the hot sun. It certainly has a strong smell, but it's the least appealing smell I've ever found in a beer. Near gag reflex. I can't stress this enough. This smells awful. I never drain pour a beer. I'm close on this one, and I've never tasted it!

T & M - See above. Imagine that ambiguous rotting organic matter is now soaked in Miller Lite, and then rung out into a can. For good measure, I imagine this can was probably left in the sun another couple of hours. The only positive is my breath is now watermelony fresh. That's the first I really noticed the watermelon, and I hope it never finds its way into a beer again.

D - You'll have to ask my drain on this one. I have no intentions of finishing this.

This is the worst beer I've had in a VERY long time...

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chilled pint glass

A - Straw hazy orange...identical to a blue moon. Depleting one inch head and noticeably a wheat beer.

S - You get that wheat beer smell some fruit and melon too. No hop presence.

T - A perfect summer, easy drinking brew. In the taste you really get that watermelon flavor.especially after swallowing it... I don't understand why this beer got the rating it did....so lame.

M - easy drinking brew, medium carbonation.

A perfect beer for hanging out back with a bbq. easy drinking...slightly fruity. Some citra hop presence would have put this beer over the top....it would of complemented this watermelon nice. Go get it.

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz can served in a Sam Adams pint glass. Purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ.

A: Cloudy light golden/straw body. Tall fluffy white head settled fairly quickly into thin film.

S: Smells like other wheat beers I've had. Assorted grains with hints of lemon. Watermelon is also faintly present.

T: A somewhat sweet and fruity, but not overbearing, start. Watermelon is again present. Finishes a bit tart.

M: Light to Medium bodied. A bit crisp.

D: Refreshing on a hot summer day. It's a decent beer, but not overly impressive. Low alcohol and light body increase its drinkability.

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours from a 12oz can into a pint glass a hazy light straw color with a fingers worth of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose is some sweet watermelon and grainy wheat.

Taste actually gets the watermelon aspect pretty spot on. Not too syrupy-sweet and fake-tasting like some fruit beers. The watermelon mixes with some standard wheat and a little sweet malt.

Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly refreshing. A great session beer.

Fruit beers can be really hit and miss, but this one works for me. The watermelon is subtle but tasty, nice grainy wheat and sweet malt, and crisp. My local bottle shop (Brew in south Philly) has six-packs of this for $12, and I'll definitely be picking up at least a few more this summer.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a beer can glass on 06.18.14.

A: 1/2 finger head that quickly recedes to a ring. Cloudy yellow/orange body.

S: Lemon, wheat, and orange peel. It smells like a typical wit.

T: Watermelon and wheat. That's it.

M: Creamy smooth and crisp.

O: The watermelon works well with the wheat. It tastes good, but there is nothing else to it.

Rating: C, 75/100.

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

Thanks to Lou91 for the "bonus can" in our recently completed trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. silver can depicting what looks like mob guys in suits into my Duvel tulip.
Huge frothy white head on a clear golden body. Little retention in the head left little lace to speak of on the beer. Steady stream of bubbles rises from south to north.
Aroma of overripe watermelon. Not very pungent, but sweet, like watermelon sitting in a bowl in the sun for a few hours. No discernable hop aroma, just fruit. Actually very nice.
Initial taste is not far from the aroma. Sweet watermelon juice with a little maltyness and cantelope. Definate hoppy bitterness rounds out the back of the tongue. Quite refreshing. This is a definate summer beer. I could easily see myself sipping cans of these on the beach or a boat.
Light mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Crisp and snappy.

Thanks to Lou for the chance to try this one. I can see myself trading for a case next June.

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap, fresh with a mild watermelon flavor, not overwhelming at all. Im a big fan of watermelon so many in bias but this is a solid beer with a nice crisp clean finish.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle in weizen glass.

A: Slightly hazy golden-yellow with a white head that falls quickly without much lacing.

S: Straw, watermelon, and a little malt in the nose. Sweet, but not in a candy watermelon way like other watermelon beers. The wheat smell is slightly offputing without the aid of spices most often found in wheat beers.

T: Wheat and a light fruity watermelon flavor that tastes very fresh. One again the wheat gives a straw-like impression, however, reminding me somewhat of a Triscuit or Shredded Wheat.

M: Similar to the Opa-Opa Watermelon in mouthfeel, a very light crisp beer, but leaving a residue in the back of the mouth.

D: For its type, the beer matches up well with others, but the grainy taste and smell leaves a little something to be desired. Crisp and refreshing, and miles above many other "lawnmower" beers, but nothing quite worthy of the massive praise it often recieves on certain beer podcasts.

2.06/5  rDev -37.4%

I tried this as an Easter pre-brunch beverage. I did everything I was supposed to do: shake can, pour into glass, and add watermelon wedges. It just isn't a very good beer. It has almost no smell and very faint hint of watermelon. It also has very little carbonation so it comes across a little flat. I think my biggest problem with the beer is the lack of anything. Instead of doing too much like most fruit-oriented beers it didn't go far enough.

I have tasted a number of excellent 21st Amendment beers. This one just didn't do it for me.

4.44/5  rDev +35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went in to the beer store to buy my wife a case of the new blue moon summer honey wheat or what ever it was and came across this melon wheat beer i just had to get it and hope she liked it well she didn't like it!... she LOVED it and so did I.

At first i opened the can poured it in to a glass and right off the bat ya can smell melon rind. I thought o no this is going to be bad but as it turned out this is my new best summer beer.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery