Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

1560th Review on BA
Can to Pint
12oz

Purchased @Total Wine & More, Sacramento, CA for $1.79
Didnt write down canning date

App- It looks more like a wheat that I though. Didnt have any off color. Maybe was thinking it would be red/pink. Guess thats what I get for thinking. Had a good wheat haze behind it with a semi large 2 finger, fast receding head to it. Still no cling. Looked nice though.

Smell- Its about the par for a wheat beer. I get the wheat, a little bit of grassy and maybe some lemon. I dont get any of the watermelon on the aroma. Just a bit light and a bit average for me. Not my favorite style so probably has a lot to do with it.

Taste- I thought this was a very tasty beer. It wouldve been great for the 100+ temps in So. Cal if it was distro'd down here. Had the watermelon flavor and was suprised it wasnt overpowering but well layered and tasteful.

Mouth- A bit light on the feel. Just a bit flat as well. Its a light body with a pretty flat medium carbonation. Could be that this can was 5 months old I believe.

Drink- I thought it was tasty and for a fruity beer with a wheat background, I would anticipate during the summer this would taste a whole lot better.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

2.68/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: Yellow-orange in color, creamy and hazy. About an inch of fluffy head forms at the top but quickly dies down to nearly nothing. Doesn’t look overly carbonated. Looks like a typical hef.

Smell: Very sweet and floral, I’m thinking honeysuckle, with some malty grains backing it up.

Taste: More of that floral sweet honeysuckle at first, then comes the watermelon and citrus notes, and finally the malts and bitter hops finish. The watermelon tastes a little artificial and overall the brew is more sour and acidic than I was expecting. I’m not getting much of the cloves/banana etc that I expect from wheat beers, but there is some banana there.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, refreshing going down and easy on the finish. A little bit syrupy consistency.

Overall: Had one of these leftover from summer, and it’s a nice hot day today so figured I’d kill the six-pack. This is probably the only one I poured into a glass to review properly, the rest I drank straight from the can. And I think that’s how these should be enjoyed -- floating down a river or by the beach in a tube with just the can. It’s not a bad summer brew but I think the artificial flavor would turn some people off. My woman didn’t like it and she’s a fan of fruit beers. One of these is great, after two or three I’d probably get tired of the sweet and sourness.

1.75/5  rDev -47%

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

4.75/5  rDev +43.9%

3.29/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a wiezen glass at 40 degrees

Appearance: one finger foamy white head that has no retention. The color of the beer is a medium yellow with pale yellow hues. The clarity of the beer is cloudy probably due to yeast. The head no longer remains in the beer.

Nose: The aroma of wheat and grass are the most prominent aromas. The watermelon aroma is faint but of course there is really no smell to watermelon. The only other aroma in the beer is yeast.

Taste: predominately wheat with notes of citrus and grass. The watermelon is there along with the yeast and a subtle sweetness like honey.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated with a crisp finish.

Overall: the body of the beer is light and the finish is medium. Although, you can't taste the watermelon in the beer, it is a pretty apparent going down. This is a good fruit and herb beer. This beer would be great on a nice sunny summer afternoon.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

This brew poured with a one finger white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass. The body was a clear, golden-yellow color with mild visible carbonation. The nose was very muted. I only got a hint of watermelon. I remember this having more of a nose the last time that I had it. On the taste, the first thing that hit me was how much more carbonation there was on the taste than what I could see in the glass. The next thing that hit me was that this tasted exactly like a liquid watermelon jolly rancher to me. This was completely saturated with lots of artificial watermelon, which wasn’t all that pleasant. After that, I really didn’t get anything else. Any other flavors were completely hidden by the watermelon. The finish was quick, again with watermelon. I remember enjoying this beer much more…I guess my tastes have changed. I would not rush back to have this.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery