Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Ratings: 2,781 |  Reviews: 752

3.93/5  rDev +19.1%

12 oz can sent to me thanks to the awesomeness that is Murchmac. Been eying this for two reasons: 1. its in a can 2. its watermelon, yo!
Served up in my Terrapin pint glass.

A: Pours a pretty typical wheat beer color. Has just a touch of haze to it, making it just not quite clear. The color is a nide golden yellow, but held to the light it has more of that faded, macro yellow color. The carbontion activity is pretty bangin with some constant movement. The head off the pour is a nice and pretty pristine white, and that head has a bit more wieght than I was expecting going in. Sadly,the retention isn't the greatest and no really lace to speak of. Just a bit above mediocre here.

S: Smell is basically just a wheat beer. Has some grain notes coming out and mostly. You get a touch of some sweeter wheat bread coming across here. There is a touch of citrus bouncing around in here as well, maybe some lemon. Not really getting any watermelon at all, and this has me a bit scared because this is what I am looking forward to. Overall, just smells like a standard wheat beer.

T: Yet again I am scared a bit starting off. As the sip starts, all I am getting is some wheat beer. Just a nice and slightly sweet wheat coming across along with a touch of lemony hops presence. BUT!!! . . . the finish is where they bring the melon and my happiness. The watermelon is sweet and at times a bit sour. It seems on some sips its just a touch light, and at others it is in your face and is more like a slightly sour watermelon Jolly Rancher. With said, it works. I like it . . . hell, I love it.

M: Light in body with a nice crisp carbonation, and this is good because I imagine that was the intention in creating a thirst quenching summer brew. This beer does have a bit of a drying quality to it that makes you pull a bit more. Aftertaste is all melon and ist awesome.

D: Very drinkable. Would love to have this after a long day of working in the yard in the Alabama summer or at baseball game. The melon is just enough to let you know its there and what is up. The wheat base is nice and probably the perfect vehicle for a watermelon flavored brew. Just a joy to drink and it really puts a smile on my face. Look forward to trading for more from Tim. Thanks again, buddy!

3.93/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

To begin with, you should only try this beer if you like watermelon, otherwise you will probably hate it.

A- The beer poured a hazy tan with a hint of pink. There was a little bit of a fizzy heady, but it quickly dissipated.

S- The smell is of spicy wheat and fresh watermelon rind

T- The beer started off a little tart from the wheat, but as it finished, the flavor of the watermelon really came through as did the sweetness.

M- Light and a little too thin on the palate

D- The watermelon flavor sold me, but those who don't like watermelon as much would rate this much lower in drinkability. I think that I could have 2 or 3 of these and that would be enough.

Great for an end of summer BBQ while downing spicy ribs and smoked brisket. I could also imagine having this at the beach

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Wow, for me, this is done right! Great beer, I'll be buying more as an easy drinker for summer. Edit: After some more tasting, I'm lowering the taste from 4.5 to 4.25. I'm still loving the watermelon, but a bit artificial tasting. Smell is watermelon jolly rancher (which probably sounds terrible to some people). No hint of watermelon in the look. Light yellow with not much brightness.

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

I actually drank this beer out of the can, so I have no idea what was going on with the appearance--I just love the feeling of drinking beer out of a can, what can I say?

This is an awesomely unique beer, with a strong watermelon smell and taste. I'm not sure the beer under it is the best wheat beer I've ever had---a bit grainy, lacking some of the complexity of a good wheat, and a thin mouthfeel, not rich enough--but the idea of mixing watermelon juice and a decent wheat beer is just a really good one, and this is a great, very drinkable summer beer.

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

OK I'm pretty impressed with this. I really wanted to try it for the gimmick of a watermelon beer but I was pleasantly surprised to find a refreshing beer with alot of flavor. The appearance isn't anything to brag about and the aroma was a little like a capri-sun but the flavor was everything I thought it wouldn't be. Thankfully this is not a sweet beer. If it had been I think it would have ruined the beer by fullfilling my expectation of a watermelon extract/candy alcoholic schnaaps-like drink. Instead the fruit presence is definitely melon but was more cantaloupe than sugary. Highly drinkable... go get some!

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Can, home. I'm not a big fan of most fruit beers and had been putting off trying this particular beer for a long time, and I'm quite surprised to find that I like it. It's not the prettiest thing ever - hazy pale gold with a minimal head. The aroma is wheatier and maltier than expected. Though there's a fairly strong candy fruit flavor to it, but it's not cloying. The feel is a bit thick and viscous, particularly for the abv. The flavor is relatively dry. The watermelon flavor doesn't taste artificial. The base beer doesn't really live up to the watermelon flavor. I'm not really sure what would, though. It's a nice flavor but not very beery. Good beer for a hot day.

3.91/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My favorite fruit beer and one of my summer go to. I think it taste the best on draft but the cans do the job. Awesome in the summer, but I have had it on the winter which was a nice change. Refreshing wheat beer with a good watermelon flavor not the artificial fruit flavor as other beers.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Lots of fresh watermelon. Maybe a little wheat.

T: Fresh watermelon. It's good and sweet, but for the most part it's a one-note flavor. Some malt, and I'm not sure if there are hops or not. It's not a complex flavor, but it is very fun to drink.

M: Some bite in the back of the throat. Very bubby at first but calms down quickly.

D: Easy to drink. Refreshing. A great start for a summer barbecue or picnic.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Drank from the can, so no word on appearance. Light, tasty, smooth. Great choice for hot days. Watermelon flavor is reserved, but present and sweet. Ideal beer for backyards, rivers, and during the day.

Tried at Three Monkeys Bar & Grill and the Northside Grill, both in Richmond, Va

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Incredible summer beer, tartness from watermelon is palatable and not off putting, at 4.9% ABV it's definitely got the kick for funtime summer drinking

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery