Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

3.3

Ratings: 2,775 |  Reviews: 752
1.75/5  rDev -47%

3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't think I would have ever decided to try watermelon beer if there were no outside influences. But, I had just read an online article about coming down off your manly beer perch and trying fruit beers. In total wine, a reasonably attractive woman saw me looking at the can and commented that it was very good with a winning smile. These forces combined with my uncontrollable urge to try something new or different everytime I'm faced with the Wall Of Beer (and yes, it should be capitialized) lead me to setting down on the couch to watch Disney Channel with my family with a pale yellow, fizzy conncoction smelling like one of the kids dropped a jolly rancher in my beer. After the first drink, I smiled and examinied my glass again. Hazy yellow, thin head with two scents; a good wheat and candy watermelon. I smiled wider and handed the glass to my wife. "What does that taste like to you?" I was thinking that no way should a good beer and watermelon work together....but it did! My better half took a tenitive sip, "Cherry?" I'm still not sure how she got that. Bigger swallow, "watermelon!" I don't think the normal review would give this beer it's due. Long and short of it is, it tastes good! Low enough ABV to qualify as sessionable, light enough to allow drinking a few and with enough flavor that you want to. Now, I will say that it may be too sweet for some people to session, but give it a try.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

4.5/5  rDev +36.4%

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.66/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is nice alternative to conventional, off the shelf, light beer. It makes me think of summer and it's perfect on a hot day. Can't say much more about it... There isn't much depth or complexity - don't think they were going for that.

For what it's worth... It's better on tap.

4.09/5  rDev +23.9%

The beer pours a clean, pale yellow with a hint of orange. The beer forms a rocky head of slightly creamy white bubbles. The beers body is nearly crystal clear with just a faint hazing, and the beer’s head leaves a lacing of sticky dry bubbles. On the nose, the beer smells tart and citric with a nice sweet underlying melon scent that gives a touch of grassy hops. There is also a slight jammy smell that is a part of the melon smell, but I assume that is just the fruit in the beer. From the can, the sweet fruit is more pronounced with a touch of vegetal scents. On the tongue the beer tastes sweet with a light tartness and some lovely distinctions between the calmer sweet of the malt and the fruitier sweet of the melon. In flavor the beer begins as sweet bread and then slowly moves into distinct bitter watermelon flavors, which is impressive. There is a light citric tartness underlying the flavors, but the water melon builds into a big, sweet crescendo in the finish, leaving the aftertaste clean with a slight hint of lingering malt sweetness. From the can it tastes more metallic and chemically from the can. It definitely tastes better from the glass. In the mouth the beer feels crisp and on the heavier side of light in body with a touch of citric spritz from the medium carbonation levels. The mouth is left clean and a little tingly with some slight bitterness. Overall, this a great crisp summer beer that incorporates the watermelon flavor beautifully. It is not too sweet, just a touch tart, and just a touch bitter and is great to drink. It is a great fruit beer with not too much overpowering fruit. Try this beer.

3.72/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Even though the only other fruit flavored beer I've ever had was Shipyard's blueberry, by nature, I'm not a big fan of fruit flavored beer.

That being said, I was very surprised with this 21st Amendment beer. The watermelon is very poignant and almost tastes like Gatorade. I drank five of these without even thinking about it. Great summer beer.

2.81/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this watery beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Not cold enough! The beer was a pee colored concoction but did poor a really pretty big white head. i was hopeful. Slight watermelon smell first then kinda sour smell. Worried. Slightly cloudy looking also. The beer was VERY watery tasting. Kinda like watermelon kool aid that half the flavor packet had not made it into the mix. I will not buy this beer again.

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a finger of head on a hazy, light straw colored body.
The aroma is interesting. A bit of grain and watermelon. Not bad, just interesting.
The taste has a soft, almost water and wheat taste at first. The there's the mild watermelon sweetness.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
As far as watermelon beers go it's the best one I've had. Simple flavors and easy drinking.

4.5/5  rDev +36.4%