Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

20%
3.5

Ratings: 2,809 |  Reviews: 759

3.11/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: straw, cloudy. no head

S: grainy but mellow. very very faint of melon

T: grainy, again and faint melon. not the biggest fan

M: best attribute, tingly, welcoming

2.26/5  rDev -32.5%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews.

3.15/5  rDev -6%

I picked this up because I've enjoyed other offerings from 21st Amendment and it looked intriguing. I poured it from a can into a hefeweisen glass. It pours with one of those great wheat beer magnificent heads. A bit of the head lingers throughout the beer.

You can definitely pick up the watermelon in the aroma.

I had trouble rating the taste. It does deliver on what it promises. I now know I'm not a fan of watermelon in my beer. But, if that is appealing to you, this one delivers it.

Delivers typical mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

I'm glad I tried it. It delivers as promised but this won't be repeat for me. I'll finish the six pack as this meets my summer profile of preferring lighter brews.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -2.4%

Aroma - Wheat graininess and a slight sweetness of fruit

Appearance - Thin quickly dissipating head while the beer was a cloudy pale yellow

Taste - Watermelon wheat is kind of what you get. There is a slight funk to the usual wheat flavor but the watermelon is well balanced flavor wise. The beer did have a kind of spritzy quality that was interesting

Notes - Light mouthfeel which I think could have used more carbonation

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

3.56/5  rDev +6.3%

Got this interesting brew from raiser in the New Trader BIF Redux!

Pours a nice cloudy lemon yellow color, decent sized white head fades somewhat quickly, leaves a handful of small patches of lace on the glass. Lots of wheat in the nose, some lemon, but really no trace of watermelon at all....until the first taste. Wow! That's some serious watermelon taste, sort of like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, tart citrus, slight grainy taste. Crisp and refreshing, slightly drying/puckering sweetness. Certainly something different for me, and while it's not something I'd want to drink all the time, I can see this being a good time at a summer BBQ.

4.12/5  rDev +23%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.08/5  rDev -8.1%

4.75/5  rDev +41.8%

2.09/5  rDev -37.6%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery