Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Reviews: 735 | Ratings: 2,730
2.52/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Light brown, tan color. Scents of dry grass, hay that is slightly fermented. No real watermelon flavor to speech of. The wheat flavor was more like dry toast. No balance of malts or of hops. Watery mouthfeel. Very little drinkable nature.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a light, hazy yellow with fairly nice head which lacks retention and soon subsides to a thin layer of foam that lays atop the beer.

S: Smells predominantly of wheat and watermelon, which is of course a good thing. There seems to be some yeast and tartness on the backend, but I can't make out anything definite. Overall a pleasant aroma.

T: I don't really understand what most people are griping about. This is a wheat beer with watermelon juice in it, it is supposed to taste like wheat and watermelon, which it does and does well. This is no doubt a quirky brew and not for everyone, but I rather enjoyed the light, fruity flavor this beer has to offer. Aside from the wheat and watermelon, which are quite dominant, there is some subtle yeasty flavors and even some tomatoes and vegetables lingering in there. My only gripe is that, as others have stated, the watermelon flavor seems slightly unnatural -- Jolly Rancher-ish, if you will.

M: As others have said, this beer is light on body and carbonation, which I find to be pleasant for the style. It really slides down the throat and feels great on the way down.

D: This beer has superb drinkability... I could easily down an entire six-pack if I'm not careful. The fact that it is light, fruity, and in a can also aids to it's appeal and sometimes I have to convince myself that I'm drinking a beer and not a soda.

Overall a very pleasant beer. I'm happy I noticed it and picked it up. I could think of few better beers to drink during the summer. Kudos.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cool looking can with the statue of liberty sitting on the Golden Gate bridge

A-Veiled pale yellow devoid of any head. A vigorous pour only leads to some soda-like fizzing.

S-Slighly sweet, sour funky, somewhat earthy. I may be picking up some watermelon but I may also be imagining it.

T-Interesting brew. Watermelon is definately present at the fore, slighly sweet and very thirst quenching. The brew falls apart at the back end, however, some wheat and mild hop twang lead to a rather lackluster finish. I'm giving it higher points than I normally would because the idea of watermelon beer is just so friggin cool

M-I am tempted to say thin, but it is merely light.

D-the former "drinkablility" category. I actually would buy this again..it is not great, but it is refreshing and unusual. I dig offbeat stuff, and this certainly is that. Low in abv to pound down in the summer heat...I like a summer refresher that lets me drink more of it.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

This is a great, light, summer sipping beer. It's not the best fruit beer out there, nor is it the worst. It's above average. Best consumed on hot days from the can!

Pours with average head, dissipates quickly, average straw/amber color.

Aromas are good, some watermelon and other citrus with a little yeasty note. Mild and smooth on the palate. Not overly complex, but enjoyable. Much more natural and balanced than most (commercialized) fruit beers.

3.81/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not bad at all. Has a nice watermelon jolly rancher taste on the finish. Reminds me of my youth. Nothing special nor horrible. Take a chance, grab one and sit on the porch smelling that fresh cut grass in the air. Something serious might just happen.

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: While coming out of a can, it pours well and had a nice head with a mild/pale golden color.
Smell: Has a rather earthy smell, not bad but not something too impressive
Taste: I actually like the subtle earthy taste of the watermelon. For me, it's a positive that the beer is not overly sweet. Other general reactions were not as good, but i enjoyed the taste.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, good crisp feel to it.
Drinkability: I was able to enjoy this, and I would continue to if it wasn't such a pricey beer.

I will give this brewery credit for their creativity. I do think it is difficult to get most beer nuts interested when serving something in a can.

3.07/5  rDev -7%

Poured from Can into Sam Adams Pint Glass

A: Golden yellow color with lots of carbonation. Very short head that dissolved quickly into near nothingness.

S: Detect the wheat in the smell, but it is very mild, no detection of watermelon.

T:Starts out very mild, then the watermelon taste rushes in. Finishes tart on the back of the tongue, watermelon taste disappears quickly.

M: Very thin, lots of carbonation lingers.

O: Better than other watermelon beers I have tasted, but still strange to taste watermelon in my beer!

3.79/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Canned on 3/26/12 drank on 7/7/13

Hazy, light yellow colored beer with a momentary fizzy white head. Poor retention, no lacing.

Fresh watermelon in the aroma. Some sweet, fruity yeast. Faint malt sweetness, and no hop aroma. I like this beer's aroma quite a bit. It's different.

Fresh watermelon in the flavor. Funky (not sour). Smooth, and creamy. Some malt sweetness, little to no hop flavor.

Medium bodied beer with an extremely smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Delicate carbonation. an average length wet finish.

I understand this beer may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it a lot. If you're looking for a good, refreshing summertime lawn mower type beer, this may be right up your alley.

2.28/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from the can

A - Slightly hazy yellow with an inch or so of pretty vigorous head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass. No lacing, carbonation not very visible.

S - All around pretty light in the nose; I pick up some sugary sweetness and some yeasty aroma and that's about it.

T&M - Very sweet and sugary; there is certainly watermelon flavors, but unfortunately it tastes like artificial watermelon to me; it reminds me of a watermelon flavored gum I used to buy as a kid. Carbonation is very light. The mouthfeel is soft and fluffy, but there is something going on here that coats my mouth and is not pleasant.

D - I suppose I see a market for this, but this isn't for me. The watermelon is artificial tasting, and I find the sweetness slightly cloying. I'm not even going to finish what I poured; the wife is going to have to take one for the team.

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Very cloudy dark yellow color with a very fizzy head which is typical of most of the wheat beers I've tried. However the head does stick around for quite a while before fizzing out into nothing

Smell - Wheat, lemon, yeasts and a slight sweet and grassy aroma. Hate to say it but I'm not getting any watermelon smells here, smells like a grassy wheat beer really

Taste - There's the watermelon taste! And it's quite rich sweet and it mixes well with the lemon and wheat flavors. It's not perfect but it's pretty good!

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with a mild amount of carbonation. It does feel nice and crispy on the palate, perfect for drinking on a hot day.

Overall - Yeah, it's a novelty wheat beer and I'm not exactly a huge fan of wheat beers but it's a nice crisy beer. The initial smell makes it seem rather bland while the flavor proves that there it does have something worthwhile to offer.

4.44/5  rDev +34.5%

I was pleased to find that this beer does indeed taste like watermelon, and not something with artificial "watermelon flavor" added for the sake of making it sweeter and more appealing, as happens with candy since watermelon itself is so boring. It's light in body and in color, and it's easy to drink. I'd recommend it to anyone who asked about it.

4.22/5  rDev +27.9%

I picked up a case of this while in ATL recently. My wife and I had just bought a 6-pack to "try" and we liked it so much that we had to stock up before coming back to TN.

I don't understand the very "average" opinions of this beer. You have to appreciate this beer for what it is. And what it is, in my opinion, is perhaps one of the most perfect summer beers that I've personally ever enjoyed (if you like watermelon).

A: Bright, sunny, straw-yellow. Like a typical wheat beer would look. Nice 1 finger head.

S: Mild malt. Hint of crisp fresh watermelon. Mild hops.

T: Like I said, it is pretty much "summer in a glass." You get a little malt, a little hops, and some definite cool, crisp, and REFRESHING watermelon. I love it (but I also love watermelon). It has just enough watermelon so that you really get a good taste of it and can appreciate it but it is not overpowering or cloying in the least.

M: SO easy to drink. Smooth and tasty. It goes down great in the heat of a summer's day or in the waning sunset of a summer's evening on the deck.

O: If I was looking for something to have multiple glasses/cans of while spending some time outdoors in the warm weather, this would absolutely be my choice (if I could only get more of it in TN). I definitely recommend it as a summer-time brew.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

21st Amendment has always intrigued me, despite never making anything that has ever really blown my hair back. Maybe its just the cans, but regardless, I found myself buying this, thinking it would be an interesting and unique summer beer. At the very worst, its first watermelon beer I've ever tried...

Pours a light golden yellow with a slight yeasty haze. Perhaps a finger or so of head that fizzles out pretty quickly. Boasts lousy retention and no lacing as it dies down. Quite frankly, for a wheat beer this is disappointing.

Smells of watermelon rind and golden wheat, with a slight sour quality. Reminds me of candy almost, like what I'd imagine a Starburst would smell like in liquid form.

Tastes pretty much as the can advertises. Watermelon flavoring up front with a wheat backbone. Tangy aftertaste with the most minimal hop bitterness for balance. Different for sure, and actually, quite good.

Mouthfeel is reasonably light and incredibly easy-drinking. Wouldn't consider this a session beer necessarily though, as it may be a bit of a novelty. I might get sick of it after a few.

Overall, this accomplishes what it sets out to do. A refreshing summer beer that proves itself as an ideal pool lounging candidate that your girlfriend probably won't argue with. Worth a shot if you like wheat beers.

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

A- Pale yellow cloudiness, and lackluster head.

S- Slight hints of watermelon and grain.

T- There is watermelon in the taste, so mission accomplished there, but other than that, it is not very remarkable. Some mellow grain, and barely any hops or sweet malt.

M- Finishes somewhat crisp and clean, but is that from good balance or watered down taste?

D- Goes down alright, still, not that great overall.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

a - pours light yellow with a white head.

s - some watermelon, but not as much as i expected. good amount of wheat.

t - big grainy wheat flavor with watermelon along side it. does not mix well. taste is way to grassy/grainy. like eating straight wheat grains. hop bitterness doesnt help any either.

m - light and bubbly. as i would expect from a light fruit beer. this aspect is on target.

overall - would not recommend this. just not appealing at all.

3.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a very nice looking, white, one and a half finger head, I can slightly hear it fizzing though which isn't a great sign. It's mostly all small bubbles and it has kind of a pillowy look to it. It's not hanging around too long, but better than some beers I supposed. It has decent lacing. The body is a cloudy orange-yellow color, I'd like it to be a little cloudier to be honest, but it's pretty legit, I can't see through it at all. Overall it's a decent look, the lacing could be better and the head could have lasted longer, but for a wheat beer it's not bad. I get two main things on the smell, the first is watermelon, and the second is cheap beer. It's not an overpowering watermelon smell and that is good, a lot of these wheat beers overdo it with the fruit, and this clearly doesn't. The cheap beer smell worries me because it's a pretty clear smell, not much question about what I'm smelling. It smells refreshing, and I doubt I'll dislike it, but that cheap beer smell may cause some problems on the taste. The taste is good, it's mostly just watermelon though, not much else to it. The good news is that it doesn't taste like cheap beer, just a one sided beer. You do get a little bit of a can taste to it, which really pisses me off because all these micro breweries promise that even though they put their beers in cans - it wont taste metallicy, well this does, just slightly, but it does. Maybe the metallic taste was the cheap beer smell I was picking up on. The watermelon taste is good, they for sure didn't overdo it with the watermelon taste and that's good, frankly I'd like a little more, but in these fruit beers it's better to have less than more, because some breweries go nuts with fruit. The wheat aspect is a little different, I mean it looks like a wheat beer, but it real doesn't feel like a wheat beer that much, there is a tiny wheat feel, but for the most part it's too thin. So considering that, the mouthfeel isn't all that great, the carbonation is right, but they skimped out on the wheat, in a wheat beer, so...yeah. The drinkability is good, it goes down very well. Overall on this beer, it's a good beer, it's has some areas that could for sure be improved on, like the head/lacing, and the wheat, but overall it's not bad, it's very tasty and refreshing.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

A: pours a hazy straw yellow into an American shaker pint with a solid finger of fluffy white head that leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Wheat, sweet light malts and a hint of watermelon. some floral hops.

T: Heavy on the wheat and noticable light malt backbone, comparable as good to a hefeweizen and with the addition of the subtle watermelon that slowly takes the tongue by surprise makes this beer stand out.

MF: What we as advocates should come to expect from a light summer beer; refreshing, light soft body and good effervescence.

O: This has slowly become my favorite "tubing down the river" beer by beating out Butternuts Hefe. The can makes it portable while the lower ABV makes it great for having a bunch while floating and staying coordinated enough to scale the muddy hill back to the car. I wouldnt get this for much of any thing else except maybe a hot day on a boat or maybe a company picnic.

4.04/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Normally, I stay away from fruit flavored beers because they often come across tasting like candy or are just too sweet for my liking. But not with Hell or High Watermelon. You get a hint of the watermelon and it doesn't over power other parts of the beer. It's actually one of my go to beers to bring to summertime BBQ's at the neighborhood pool. It's very refreshing to drink on a hot summer's day.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Source/serving: 12oz. Can

Smell: Moderate watermelon notes which boarder on candy-like but not quite. Salty, toasty, and lightly herbal and earthy.

Taste: Overall, lots a caramel and not your typical wheat flavors. Intense caramel just as it touches the tongue which them moves to straw and bread malts up front with a thin, slightly bitter edge. Hints at grape. Tons of caramel in the middle. Smooth but not too sweet though. Tropical fruits in the background. Finish is quite thick with light caramel, bread and long lingering yeast.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Snow white head, very light straw in color. Lots of wheat on the aroma with a subtle amount of watermelon, there is almost a tartness to the aroma.
Wheat on the front of this beer that quickly transitions to watermelon. This lasts for a few sips and the intense flavor of the watermelon dissipates. This is a very bright and crisp beer very light mouth feel . This beer at the start has a candy like quality to it. The watermelon is a little strong at the start but this subsides quickly and the beer has this nice light fruit flavor to it.

2.26/5  rDev -31.5%

Purchased as a single from Whole Foods in Shortpump - Glen Allen, VA - poured into pint glass

Pours a yellowy straw color, decent head.. but mostly unattractive. Smells kind of pissy in a way and there is a faint scent of watermelon seeds.. not so much watermelon but like when you accidentally chew on a seed. Tastes kind of pissy and watery in a way. Again the watermelon flavor is just not there at all other than a faint after though of a seed. Feels okay as far as body goes but the pissy watermelon seed garbage is kind of in the way.

Overall I would advise against this beer. I would love to try some of this brewery's other offerings as I have heard some good things. Hopefully this wont affect my perception of their other brews.

3.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Aroma - Wheat graininess and a slight sweetness of fruit

Appearance - Thin quickly dissipating head while the beer was a cloudy pale yellow

Taste - Watermelon wheat is kind of what you get. There is a slight funk to the usual wheat flavor but the watermelon is well balanced flavor wise. The beer did have a kind of spritzy quality that was interesting

Notes - Light mouthfeel which I think could have used more carbonation

3.56/5  rDev +7.9%

Got this interesting brew from raiser in the New Trader BIF Redux!

Pours a nice cloudy lemon yellow color, decent sized white head fades somewhat quickly, leaves a handful of small patches of lace on the glass. Lots of wheat in the nose, some lemon, but really no trace of watermelon at all....until the first taste. Wow! That's some serious watermelon taste, sort of like a watermelon Jolly Rancher, tart citrus, slight grainy taste. Crisp and refreshing, slightly drying/puckering sweetness. Certainly something different for me, and while it's not something I'd want to drink all the time, I can see this being a good time at a summer BBQ.

2.09/5  rDev -36.7%

A 12 ounce can into a snifter...

The pour is a translucent hay color with about a half inch of bubbly, white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. The smell is perhaps the most off-putting part for me; for some reason, I can't detect anything past a terrible, strong, curdled milk scent. I can't even find the damn watermelon in the nose. I brace for the taste… ah, found the watermelon! There is a dominating, yet artificial watermelon flavor reminiscent of a jolly rancher or some other sugary candy. An odd milk like flavor sits between the melon and a faint wheat base. The mouthfeel is light, and a bit lively from the carbonation. Nothing spectacular, as it is a bit thin. I will be avoiding this in the future.

3.66/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look-It pours a very hazy golden pale yellow with a swirling vortex of sparkling beauty like a wonderland of white pleasure and sensitivity like you’ve never felt before.

Smell-I smell yeast and watermelon like you’d expect. It also smells a bit like a dandelion baking in the hot summer sun.

Taste-It is crisp and dry. The flavor is watermelon at first with the full flavor spectrum of the watermelon red flesh. I notice the yeast component coming in later which cuts the mild sweetness making for a dry and crisp finish. This is a light-bodied brew with plenty to offer.

Overall- It isn’t as mind-blowing as I thought. But then again, I could not do nearly as good as this 21st Amendment Brewery.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery