Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Reviews: 733 | Ratings: 2,712
3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served out of a 12oz. can dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Love the look of the packaging and the graphics on the can.

Appearance - Pours a hazy cloudy golden color with a 2 finger white head that quickly dissipates into nothing. No lacing at all.

Smell - Smell of wheat and sweet malts with a tart citrus hint. Very Very fruity watermelon smell.

Taste - Tastes of a heavy wheat on the front end with a hint of watermelon on the backend. A tartness throughout.

Mouthfeel - No carbonataion which lead to a heavy almost juice like mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Didnt care for the mouthfeel on this which makes it not so drinkable for me. Taste was ok.

I expected much better and really didnt care for the mouthfeel. Not really something I would get again.

3.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can. Pours a clear yellow color with a distinct watermelon aroma. Taste is purely watermelon with a clean refreshing flavor throughout. A light wheat beer that quenched my thirst but was overwhelming with watermelon.

3.2/5  rDev -3%

Pours BMC pale yellow with very little head. The aroma is slightly fruity, but not in any way identifiable as watermelon. The taste is not overwhelmingly watermelon like. More like a half ounc of watermelon schnapps dropped into the top of my glass. Refreshingly sweet, I feel that this would be a very popular beer if it were a little bit cheaper. As it is, It wasn't terrible.

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a regular pint, this one's head is about a finger high, white, and creamy. Head fades quickly and lace is little to none. Color of the beer is light yellow and slightly hazy.

The aroma is really weird to me. Smells like wheat, grains, light malts, mixed with a bit of funky sourness, mixed with artificial watermelon, and sweetness. Strange to say the least. Though not entirely bad, not good either.

Taste is a bit better than the aroma, but still not great. Closer to how watermelon tastes, but still seems artificial and watered down. Along with that comes some sweetness and notes of wheat and light malts. That's really about it.

Consistency is crisp, carbonation is light/creamy, body is light, and the finish is short but not gone in an instant. I think the mouthfeel is actually too light overall.

Overall this is not really my cup of tea. An interesting take on a beer, but not something I think I'll seek out again.

3.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Served in a pint glass, on-tap at Devil's Den in Philly

Pours a light yellowstraw color, with a medium white head that goes away quickly

There is watermelon in the nose! Fantastic! Not too sweet or fruity, some wheat and malt too. Had this as a gimmick, now interested in the beer.

Easy drinker - the fruit is subtle, - but there, not dominating but obvious.

Thin, a bit watery, but OK, great on a warm day

One was enough for me, no problems at all, just all I wanted.

3.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Canned microbrew! The wave of the future! (I hope)

Aroma - definitive sweet watermelon, crisp wheat, clean - no diacetyl, no noticable hops.

Appearance - Hazy golden hue, long lasting white head.

Flavor - Malty, wheat backbone that is slightly tart, pronounced fresh watermelon accent that tastes like real watermelon. Slight hop bitterness, focus is definitely on the blend of fruits. Well attenuated as it has a dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean with moderate carbonation, slightly creamy texture and a bit of warmth, not astringent. Light-medium bodied.

Overall Impression - This is a really well executed fruit beer, the balance of the base beer is almost perfect. Some critiques... I think a bit more wheaty twang and a spicy phenolic would go really well with the fresh watermelon flavors. Its a really great, easy drinking beer that I would love to enjoy on a hot summer day.

Thanks to barleypop for the can!

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Pours a light hazy yellow with virtually no head that quickly disappears. No lacing to speak of. Carbonation starts out strong, but quickly turns into just a few bubbles here and there. Overall, not a very good looking beer.

S - The smell immediately reminded me of bud heavy from the can. Upon taking a second sniff, it seems to just be the combination of watermelon and wheat that give it an off smell. The smell isn't making me want to drink this any more than the appearance.

T - Wow! The appearance and smell don't lead on to what the beer will taste like at all for this one. Don't take this to mean it is absolutely amazing, because it isn't, but it is immensely better than the scent puts on. Very light wheat taste with a constant watermelon background. Very subtle, but it's there. I wanted this beer to be more complex than that, but it just isn't. There's no hops, no malt background, just wheat and watermelon.

M - Good mouthfeel. The light body and moderate carbonation give this beer slightly more for the mouth to focus on than the simple taste. A good smooth summer beer.

D - Very drinkable beer, but what do you expect for it's simplicity and average ABV. You could easily go through a sixer of these at a BBQ or on the beach.

It was good, but I don't know that I will be getting it again at the current price tag near me. Good for the novelty of the beer, but nothing else really.

2.57/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden yellow with maple undertones. For some reason I expected a bright red brew....

The smell is fairly faint, what I pick up most is melon rind. This beer smells like something that you rarely get whiffs of, real watermelon. This smells like natural watermelon, not that fake jolly rancher type watermelon flavor we've been trained to associate with this big green melon. All that said, coupled with the wheaty alcohol notes the watermelon comes off strange.

The taste mirrors the smell very well. The base beer is pretty flavorless as far as I can tell. The watermelon is the star here, but that's about it. This beer is simply watermelon beer, subdued bitter flavors of chewing melon rind. You can make this at home by drinking any wheat beer from a watermelon.

Mouthfeel is light, airy and watery. Carbonation is on the low end and the finish is somewhat dry.

Overall, I am not a big fan here. Muted flavors make this beer come off a bit gimmicky. I'm sure there are tons of people that like this beer just fine, but I think that one is going to be plenty enough for me.

2.72/5  rDev -17.6%

Many thanks to lou91 for sending a beer I've been excited about trying.

Clear golden straw color... almost like watered down honey. Thin white head that quickly fizzles away.

The nose is more akin to pineapple than watermelon. Slight wheat smell and a hint of doughy yeast.

Once again the taste is closer to pineapple but there's some watermelon flavor to it after it warms to room temperature. Dirty unkind wheat flavors.

Not my favorite brew overall but I'm glad I got the chance to try it. I think 21st's small capacity is the best thing this beer has going for it because it keeps people wanting to try it.

2.14/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had been wanting to try this for a while...finally did...glad I did...probably won't be having another.

A-Pale yellow...clearer than I would have expected...light head that faded fast

S-Probably the best part of the beer...strong and pleasant smell of watermelon...smells of summer...picked up some wheat as well

T-I wanted to like the taste...but couldn't....watermelon all over the place...slight wheat...SLIGHT....the watermelon was too prevalent and even then...tasted watered down. Not pleasant.

M-medium carbonation

D-As I said above...I am glad I tried it...b/c I had wanted to for a while...I didn't finish the can I had...left about 1/4 in the glass. I generally am a fan of 21st amendment...but this one just didn't work...though I respect the effort in trying to brew a different beer.

2.77/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: pale gold with fizzy white head, some wheat haziness

Aroma: slight watermelon whiff on top of very biscuity and yeasty aroma, no German yeast banana or clove but more of a funky bready yeast smell

Taste: light, tangy, thirst quenching and unmistakeable watermelony. Slight pale malt character but only very little.

Mouthfeel: very light body and very carbonated, tingly in mouth

Overall Impression: A good beer to quench a thirst on a hot day but not much else. Very simplistic and somewhat watery, this beer tastes more like a watermelon flavored lite American lager than a wheat beer from its very very light body.

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

I don't know when or where I've heard about this particular beer, but at the time I thought it could be a good thing.

Surprised to see it in a card board box.

I can't tell if there's a hue of pink in my glass or not.
A scant ring of lace.

Nice aroma. Real fruit. But very faint.
Tangy bready yeast. Summer in a glass. Moderate carbonation. I think I detect some melon rind.
A lighter body, refreshing.

Almost good enough for a 12 pack.
Possibly the perfect accompaniment to fried chicken.

2.68/5  rDev -18.8%

12 ounce can purchased at Brews Bros in Mt Lebanon, PA.

Smell: Maybe a tine of watermelon. Some lemon

Taste: Fake watermelon. No doubt. Definitely not real watermelon. Not sure if there is any other flavors in there. Maybe this is Miller Lite with some fake watermelon flavoring?

Mouthfeel: Nice body, goes down smooth. Could drink these on a hot summer day if there was nothing else around.

Overall: I'm still searching for a quality fruit beer. Not sure if I'll ever find a real good one. But for some reason, I keep trying. Somebody please stop me.

2.81/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass at around 42F.

A - Light straw colored body that is slightly hazy with over 2-finger white head. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Little going on here - some wheat for sure is there, and the watermelon is detectable, but the overall scent is quite mild, and one-sided. No hops to speak of.

T - Well, no aluminum for me so that is a plus. Otherwise, this comes off as a very mild wheat beer with the additive watermelon that is quite forward actually. It is surely not an unpleasant taste, but doesn't taste nearly as good as it sounded when I first saw the sixer and decided to try it. No hops to speak of here either. Drink it cold - the taste worsens as it warms...

M - Hmm, BMC-like in it's wateriness. Pretty high carbonation, but a 3 rating is probably generous here.

D - Sure, its good in that this could be refreshing on a hot day, but it surely does leave one disappointed in the overall package. Perhaps good to bring to a summer BBQ, but not really the type of beer to savor.

3.78/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly clear yellow. Little over a one finger pure white head. Head dissipates in a couple minutes and left a thin ring. Left an ok amount of lacing down the glass, nothing special.

Smells very watermelony, can't get much of anything else, maybe a bit of wheat. Not off putting, it actually makes me want to see what the beer is all about.

Tastes of some subtle watermelon, the flavor of which is nicely balanced by the wheat in this ale. Nice flavor, very clean finish.

Feels nicely carbonated at first, but doesnt finish with as much as it starts. Fairly light bodied.

I could drink a million of these. Nice flavor, but quite light bodied

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Canned on 3/26/12.

Appearance: Hazy yellow color with a small fizzy head that receded quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Wheat backbone, citrus, and not much else.

Taste: Distinct watermelon up front. Kind of a generic "light" beer taste otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Light body, lots of carbonation, and crisp.

Overall: Not for everyone, but it is as advertised. If the watermelon flavor appeals to you, it might be worth having a can on a hot day.

3.21/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can refrigerator cold into a generic chalice.

A - Vigorous pour produces a nice 2 fingers of head, quickly recedes to a ring, and after a while recedes to nothing. The beer itself is a nice hazy light gold color. Looks good at first, although the lack of retention is a definite downer.

S - Not much here. Smells like a wheat beer, with a nebulous fruit odor. Of course the label tells me it's watermelon, but as watermelon doesn't have much of a smell, that doesn't add much. Not all that pleasant of an aroma, to be honest.

T - The label doesn't lie, this has a ton of watermelon flavor, although it detracts from the wheat beer experience. The beer gets points for having a ton of fruit flavor while not overwhelming with cloying sweetness, or even being sweeter than a typical wheat beer. It loses points because the watermelon overwhelms the wheat, and instead of accentuating the beer, takes it over. Nevertheless, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, since this was likely intentional. Not bad.

M - Light, probably because of whatever process infuses it with watermelon flavor. Not as much body as I'd like to see in a wheat beer, nor is there as much carbonation. Falls short on the feel.

O - Since I think they are trying to replicate the experience of biting into a piece of watermelon, as that's exactly what this tastes like, it's not bad. But as an actual wheat beer, it's not very good. I don't mind fruit in beer, but this is more beer trying to taste like fruit, than it is fruit trying to accentuate the flavors of a beer. I'll give it points for being refreshing, and having a rather nice watermelon flavor, but it's not something I would reach for if I wanted a beer.

3.94/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours a light pale yellow with a fizzy head. I get at first a nice hoppy wheat ale smell but it is quickly taken over by watermelon. The fruit and wheat ale is actually very balanced. But both feel very average tasting.

4.01/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very nice appearance pouring out as a light straw colored very clear beer. Lots of streaming bubbles and a topping of a white foamy head that does not hang around long.

Smell is like a sweet bread, almost like that great Hawaiian sweet bread you can pick up at the store. Very pleasant aroma.

Taste is extremely light with the watermelon definitely present. Without the watermelon in here this would be a very bland beer.

Mouth is very light and watery with a crisp finish.

This was a very light and refreshing beer. I can see this as being a great beer for the summertime. The beer is very light and watery and has a low ABV so a person could drink a few while out with friends. Since it is in a can this would be nice to take to the pool as well. Another area where this would shine would be at a BBQ. What a nice pleasant beer to wash down those burgers and brats hot off the grill.

1.85/5  rDev -43.9%

Can, shaken as instructed into a pilsner glass

Cloudy pale yellow hue, like a bud light batch gone wrong. At least it has a moderately attractive 2 finger crisp white head.

Smell really needs improvement, I've had thomas hooker's watermelon whatever and it had much more watermelon character in the nose and the taste. This has some light watermelon smells very similar to sniffing the white part of the rind. There are also some sweet corn and circus peanut notes in here as well.

Taste is pretty bland, it has some watermelon character in there at certain points throughout the progression but nothing too great

Mouthfeel is pretty lively with carbonation but super light and watery.

Overall I'm unimpressed and Thomas Hooker's would definitey be my choice given the option.

4.22/5  rDev +27.9%

In order to get the full flavor, you want to serve this slightly warmer than you would usually serve a wheat beer. It's pretty bland if too cold, but delicious at around 50 degrees.

A- Pours a slightly hazy yellow-straw color

S- Clean, bready wheat flavor with two distinct watermelon notes. There's the aroma of fresh watermelon flesh and the slightly tart aroma of "watermelon flavored" candies. Really interesting...

T- Sweet, bready flavor with a very apparent flavor of fresh watermelon. Not much else, but it's nice and simple.

M- Juicy and refreshing with a lingering flavor.

D- Really easy to drink. Light and refreshing with a really nice flavor.

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%

This beer pours a hazy golden straw color with a thick white head.

Some wheat twange, citrus, bready yeast, and almost jolly rancher like watermelon.

I nice smooth wheat flavor. Light refreshing a little twange and the watermelon is just barely there, I would almost mistake it for a cucumber flavor if I didn't know it was watermelon.

The mouthfeel is for lack of a better word perfect. If feels like silk in your mouth.

I don't think a beer gets more drinkable than this. A smooth refeshing wheat beer with a nice light fruit flavor just under the surface.

3.7/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a DFH Snifter.

A--Pours a light golden yellow with a small white head that didn't last long. Not much retention throughout the beer

S--First thing I get is the watermelon concentrate. It's a sickly sweet taste. From there I get a bit of wheat and some yeast. Light smelling, but it has a prominence to it.

T--The watermelon is nice. Then comes a wheat aftertaste. Finishes with a bit of a yeast bill on the palate.

M--Very light bodied. Tiny bit of carbonation. Water feel as well.

O--This is the perfect beer and my go-to for a brew to take with me to South Beach on the weekends. Overall, though, there are better wheat beers out there. I would recommend it for what it is. Something I will pick up again.

2.46/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The appearance isn't bad - pale cloudy straw color, 2 fingers of lacing which dies pretty quickly; But I am getting about as much taste as a Miller Lite, maybe with a slight watermelon fruit essence and slight melon odor. Highly carbonated. Was worth one try to satisfy my curiosity, but will never get again.

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to sirpyscho for this as an extra in a recent trade.
Poured a cloudy golden color with a small head that faded fairly quickly. Leaving no lacing.
Not getting much on the nose. Just a touch of some wheat maltiness and a light touch of fruity sweetness. Can't really detect any watermelon on the nose at all.
Taste almost like a watermelon jolly rancher. Almost like a wheatbeer winecooler. Not normally what I would drink.
Very carbonated and very refreshing. I may drink a couple of these on a hot july day. Try it if you get a chance but I wouldn't go out of my way to get some.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery