Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat BeerHell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.3

Reviews: 733 | Ratings: 2,716
3.52/5  rDev +6.7%

This is an odd beer, but they pull off the watermelon-wheat combination fairly well. The yeast is clearly American rather than European, so the yeastiness is subtle and not very complex. The aroma is fruitier than the flavor, which is a fairly typical American Wheat with just a hint of upfront sweetness and sourness in the aftertaste. The watermelon is natural tasting but almost closer to watermelon peel (which I've had pickled) than fresh watermelon.

This would be a very drinkable and refreshing summer beer.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%

From a can poured into a shaker pint. Only one finger of head developed.

A: a light golden yellow with mininal visible carbonation

S: No smell of watermelon at all. The smell was crisp with a citric and floral hint

T: Great actually. The watermelon really comes through in the finish. Reminds me a jolly rancher.

M: Good. The small amount of carbonation helped develop the characteristics on the palate.

D: Good. I enjoyed this beer a lot.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%

I have had this out of a can several times now. Pours a crisp, macro like yellow, with a thick white head. The carbonation on these also is pretty macro-esque high. The smell picks up some candy sweetness, that is picked up in the beer as well. While this is usually a little too sweet for me, it hits the spot on a hot summers day. My wife also really enjoys this beer.

4.37/5  rDev +32.4%

Hazy gold, mildly turbid. Clean, sweet, slightly fruity smell. Taste: sour watermelon, sweetness of a wheat, hops linger. Can see myself craving this as a replacement for a sour beer when sours/wilds are not available. Really good balance among the 3 tastes w/o losing anything. Mouthfeel is light, watery. Drinkability is excellent.

2.36/5  rDev -28.5%

The concept of the beer was interesting to me, so i grabbed a can at julios just to try it. Man, am i glad i just got one of these cans. I couldnt make my way through this abortion of a beer.

Shook the can as instructed so as to displace the yeast. It poured into my pint glass and formed a large foamy white head that dissipated after 2 mins. It pours the pale yellow of a coors or bud, but with clouds of yeast inside.

The smell was, hands down, the worst. It was fucking awful. I really cannot describe it. Its just the worst smelling beer i have yet to torture my nose with.

The taste was, surprisingly, significantly better than the smell. Never have i experienced such a disparity in the information these two different senses were sending me. The taste was actually not terribly bad. The watermelon is apparent, although not particularly enjoyable.

I definitely could have pounded my way through this can, but i decided to let the sink handle that instead. Not the worst beer ever, but far and away from the best. In the end, the smell was the deciding factor for me.

2.87/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Drinking my first beer from 21 amendment... Not happy. Might as well of cracked a bud light open. Lacked personality, flavor, bite, and so much more. Looks like they mashed a few old watermelons and hoped for the best.

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks a little flimsy with it's weak and nearly transparent head.

Smells sweeter than a non-fruit wheat, but good.

Taste is sweet with a strong watermelon aftertaste.

Overall this is a great summer wheat. Maybe a little too sweet for my liking, but still certainly worth a try.

3.74/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer gets a lot of flack, but I actually really enjoy it. It tastes a little artificial, but it is actually very refreshing. The watermelon is more pronounced than the wheat, but it goes down pretty well on a hot day. It is refreshing and flavorful and I would (will) be buying it again.

3.42/5  rDev +3.6%

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Typically with fruit beers you'll get something overly sweet to the point that it just tastes fake. Especially with Watermelon beers, they often just taste like drinking a Jolly Rancher. Surprisingly, that was the not the case here, and while there was a ton of watermelon flavor, it really wasn't that overly sweet syrup flavor. Pretty good I'd say, not something I'd get all the time, but I did enjoy it.

3.7/5  rDev +12.1%

I received a can of this thanks to kplynch and RblWthACoz. I couldn't wait to try this oddball beer, I poured it in my hoegaarden glass and the smell hit me pretty hard, I think you could smell the watermelon on the other side of the room. The taste of it surprised me, I did not get the jolly rancher flavor, it's more like a watermelon rind taste to me. Goes down really smooth, not something I would drink a whole lot of but I can imagine this would be good on a really hot day. It is rather tart and refreshing.

4.77/5  rDev +44.5%

in the past couple of weeks i've had it out of the can directly and poured it into a glass.

It pours a very nice light yellow with a small white head.

Smells of summer to me, with a hint of watermelon and a nice yeasty fresh smell.

Taste is perfect, you get a hint of watermelon as you drink it, other than that its got some nice spicing with the wheat and overall is just an amazing beer for hanging out bbqing and enjoying summer/warm weather. This is my new favorite summer beer.

Great light mouthfeel, with just enough kick to get your mouth excited.

Drikability is amazing. I could sit there and drink this all day absolutely fantastic.

2.07/5  rDev -37.3%

Looks very nice. Good lacing and pours bubbly. The smell and taste are overwhelmingly "fake" watermelon, less like the melon and more like a jolly rancher. Going down it comes off way too sweet and does not leave a nice aftertaste.

I would not get this again.

3.79/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Straight from the can. You defiantly get that watermelon taste with a wheaty back end. Light taste and refreshing the watermelon defiantly helps. Not bad!

2.65/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Hazy yellow/amber color. White head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Watermelon, obviously. Get some bready yeast in there. It's not bad, pretty interesting - just doesn't really smell like beer.

T: You do taste watermelon, but it's not obnoxious or sweet. The taste is watery though, and there isn't a whole lot of depth to this beer. Some wheat in there.

M: Very light. Finish is watery

D: At first, i'd say despite the lacklusterness of this beer that it was actually pretty drinkable. But about 10 min after i finished, i didn't really feel that great and the thought of another wasn't very appealing.

3.57/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Look (3.75): Has the classic style look of a somewhat filtered wheat ale. Some major carbonation to this brew, as expected per wheat ales.

Smell (3.5): Sweet vanilla and biscuity aromas something off this guy. Mild watermelon in the nose.

Taste (3.75): Again, starts out sweet and bready like (biscuits) and then has a nice mild watermelon background and finish. Nothing to intense, just really sessionable.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Soft and supple feel to it. Light bodied and the carbonation bubbles slightly scrub the palate.

Overall (3.25): One of the enjoyable spring/summer time brews. Something easy sipping that you can drink all day, not an intensely flavorable brew by any means.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can to a standard pint glass (this review from notes taken 7/21/11).

A - Pours a slightly cloudy orange/golden straw color, with 1/2-finger of off-white head that fizzled away quickly. Particles of sediment in suspension, and a little bit of thing lacing.

S - Very mild nose, with a bit of grassy, sunny wheat hidden within a dominating melon-rind/cucumber scent.

T - Mild flavor as well, semi-sweet melon flavor more reminiscent of the white part of a watermelon rind than the pink meat. A bit of sodawater bitterness on the finish, with a sweet wheaty aftertaste.

M - Lighter body, though not thin or watery. Fizzy carbonation bites the edges of the tongue.

D - Light flavor and body makes this crisp and refreshing. The watermelon isn't all that sweet, though it still dominates the mild flavor. It tastes "cool", not bright or warm like a regular wheat beer would, though it didn't have as much flavor as I wanted it to.

As an afterthought, it's "cool" flavor paired really well with spicy Mexican food I ate after my initial tastes.

2.67/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: hazy golden straw color with a thin white head lasting only seconds. No rising co2 bubbles.

Aroma: mainly a wheat aroma followed by a yeast aroma. This yeast aroma is not of cloves or banana esters just a "muddy" yeast nose. No watermellon aroma either.

flavor: strong wheat with no other malt coming through. Also nohops at all nor any of this watermellon I hear about.

Mouthfeel: This beer is lightly carbonated, and fairly thin. As for balance it just tastes like an average wheat.

Drinkability: Don't get me wrong this is not a bad beer. There is nothing about it that I fully dislike about it. My issues with this beer is that there is no watermellon aroma or flavor (which is the reason my old lady convinced me to put down that ipa to buy this instead). I enjoyed the wheat & is an ok american wheat with nothing really standing out to set this beer apart from the others. While it's not a bad beer it is not worth the price I paid for this 6 pack. I would rather spend my money on another choice in the same style of beers. Note: if you see a single bottle pick it up & give it a try.

3.32/5  rDev +0.6%

I had heard of 21 A and was excited to try one of their beers. This was my first watermelon flavored beer. the pour was a pale thin looking beer with a fluffy almost white head which dies quickly after pouring. the beer smells like (suprise) watermelon. The taste is balanced with a low alcohol content, very little if any hops and a very subtle touch of watermelon flavor. I am impressed that they pulled this beer off.

3.66/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer is nice alternative to conventional, off the shelf, light beer. It makes me think of summer and it's perfect on a hot day. Can't say much more about it... There isn't much depth or complexity - don't think they were going for that.

For what it's worth... It's better on tap.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

With the initial pour, it appears rather thin, colored a clear pale honey-yellow. Thick wisps of a wheaty haze fall as it sits, eventually clouding the entire brew and darkening the color to a more uniform honey-gold – though the thickness remains 0n the thin side. The carbonation is quick and sparkling, erupting as it hits the glass and building a nice 3-finger thick head of thin, lacy foam that sticks around for quite a while afterwards, falling into a gossamer ring and sheer patches as I sip it. While the bubbles seem hardy enough, they refuse to stick to the side of the glass, leaving no trace it was ever there.

The aroma is very light, carrying hints of watermelon and fresh-cut rind, minimal hops, faint grainy notes and some wheat malt, but none are heavy enough to make a lasting impression until the beer is near room-temperature.

Hell or High Watermelon holds a light body, dry mouthfeel, and moderate semi-spicy carbonation. The clean, crisp authentic watermelon flavor is immediately present at the forefront, and fades into a lighter, sweet melon tang while touches of grainy wheat and malt follow through to the end. The profile of this beer overall is very light, but that doesn’t keep it from being the perfect thirst quencher, especially when it’s 115º outside. As much as I disagree with the current stereotypes of women and (fruit) beer, I think that this could be an awesome first step into the craft beer world for both men and women who are still trying to become interested and want to ease themselves in.

3.46/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This is an ok summer, session beer. It smells and has an initial taste of watermelon, but it quickly turns into the taste of corn flakes. It ok, its easy to drink and the initial taste is ok, but the cornflake aftertaste is not welcomed.

4.06/5  rDev +23%

Our favorite summer beer. Watermelon is subtle and overall this is very refreshing and sessionable. Only caveat is it has to be consumed ice cold....if you let it sit for a while and it starts warming, it isn't nearly as enjoyable. A winner !

4.21/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

How is this at a 76/100? How many watermelon beers are there? This is a fantastic brew for a hot summer day. So much melon flavor and nice wheaty mouthfeel.

3.39/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Looks golden but thin with a thick head of bubbles that quickly dissipates.
S - not a strong nose on this one, but you do get a whiff of watermelon and maybe some citrus, too
T - watermelon rinds come out to play midway through the sip, otherwise a pleasant, balanced wheat beer, a little extra hops on the finish
F - thin with abundant, tiny strong bubbles

Generally, a run of the mill beer. Extremely drinkable, even chuggable. The watermelon is truly refreshing and doesn't fight, but rather complements the light wheat beer and hops. Great, easy summer sipping.

3.84/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: Pale yellow, minimal white head. Looks like a light commercial beer almost.

Aroma: Smells fresh and sweet with hints of cotton candy. Definitely does not smell like artificial jolly-rancher watermelon flavor, which I was afraid of. In fact, there really isn't much watermelon on the nose at all, just sweetness.

Taste: Minimal watermelon taste, with slightly bitter aftertaste lingering. Most certainly does not taste how I expected it to - that is, like cloyingly fake watermelon. Mostly just tastes how it smells, sweet like cotton candy with a crisp freshness that I like.

Mouthfeel: Minimal carbonation, feels very creamy in the mouth.

Drinkability: Pretty high. Though I wouldn't add this to my usual rotation of beers, I can see it being a BBQ or summer beach staple. It is light and very easy to put back a couple.

Notes: For some reason, this beer tastes much better directly out of the can. When poured into a glass, some of the creaminess is lost, which I feel really detracts from the overall experience of the beer.

Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer from 21st Amendment Brewery