Back In Black | 21st Amendment Brewery

ABV varies around 7%.

Added by tpd975 on 11-23-2008

Ratings: 2,401 |  Reviews: 714

2.52/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can poured into a Shipyard imperial pint glass.

A - Pours an almost dead black that lets thru practically no light...no sign of haze, but too dark to be totally sure. A finger + of creamy tan, fluffy foam sits on top of the beer for a brief minute before falling to the surface leaving a rocky, uneven layer and collar and a bunch of lace on the glass.

S - Bitter, burnt black malt, a touch of buttery diacetyl, dill pickles?, a bit metallic, black pepper. Green hops, somewhat vegetable like - green peas, green beans. Umm, very weird.

T - Bitter dark malts, metallic, fresh green, grassy hops. Middle of the road hop bitterness. The green/vegetable like qualities of the aroma carry thru here...this really isn't hitting me. Very unusual and not in a good way.

M - Somewhat thin, as I have come to expect from black IPA's, although tending more towards medium bodied than most. Medium carbonation that is prickly on the tongue. I just can't get past the green, leafy, vegetable like character here.

D - Definitely not one of my favorite beers out there...and I am generall a big fan of 21st Ammendment stuff. This has a funny aroma/flavor that disagreed with me from the start...glad I only bought a single instead of the 4pk(6pk?)...based on others reviews, maybe I got an off can, but I have to say I'm just not getting what others are saying about this one.

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

In all fairness, I'm not a big ipa fan, hence the low rating. I still enjoy trying them anyway.

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I thought this ale was a mess. It looked good in the glass and that was about it. Medicinal taste, off-putting. And I really like black IPAs. Maybe I got a bad batch.

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%

Picked up a 6 pack at Jungle Jim's.

The pour is promising. 2 fingers of white head atop a Porter-esque body. The smell is more Pale Ale than anything. Not too hoppy. Very little dark malt. The taste was not very good. STRONG metallic taste right up front. IDK if it was the can or something in the beer but tons of metallic flavors, not something I've encountered with other canned craft beer. Watered down. Lacking in flavor. Dull, boring. The mouthfeel was thin and the drinkability was okay although I didn't really like the beer.

I'd like to see some more reviews to see if anyone else gets the metallic flavors.

2.61/5  rDev -29.1%

A- A deep brown though definitely far from black. A one finger head of small white bubbles falls slowly leaving no lacing. This one is also clearly not filtered and contains lots of brown and white yeast that I wasn't expecting in a canned beer.

S- American hops (cascade) are up front in the nose with a little bubblegum and pine and a touch of caramel rounding out the heavy citrus. Would like more "dark beer" traits but smells like an IPA.

T- Flavor is sweet with the caramel and some bubblegum standing over a refrained hop character. Finishes with a rush of moderate bitterness. As an IPA it fails with little hop flavor, as an american brown it's just ok.

M- Moderate in body and fairly low in carbonation, it's not hard to drink but is not nearly as dry as an IPA and without any roastiness there isn't much of an excuse.

D- In almost all respects this one just feels like a lazy attempt at an over hopped brown. By no stretch of the imagination would I call this a black IPA as it isn't black, it isn't dry and there's practically no hop flavor. The thick layer of yeast sediment was also offputting in the glass and really uncalled for in a can. It was hard for me to give this brewery another try with how much I hated the watermelon wheat, now I know to stay away for good.

2.61/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A: Opaque dark brown. Ruby hues when held to the light. Large retaining tan head. Prolonged lacing throughout.

S: Light piney hops. Sweet malts.

T: Sweet and roasted malts. Light hop presence. Slight bitterness and an off-taste that I can't put my finger on in the finish. It kind of tastes like...soap? The 'roasty-ness' is nice. There's a little bit of an unpleasant sweetness that lingers. Other than that, there's not much going on.

M: Light, thin feel. Medium carbonation. It could use a bigger body.

D: Drinkability is alright. The alcohol is hidden well. It's just a little too sweet for me, so I don't think I'd want more than one.

2.61/5  rDev -29.1%

Appearance: pours a surprisingly dark color, about a finger's worth or so of a fairly thick head, good amount of thick / heavy lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: a little bit of hops, I couldn't smell too much, some malt.

Taste: for an IPA I have to say I was unimpressed by the lack of overall hop taste, there was a good taste of dark malts, but overall it tasted far lighter than expected.

Mouthfeel: seemed a little watery, it was a bit too smooth in my opinion,

Drinkability: it wasn't my favorite but if you like lighter beers maybe it's for you.

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

12oz can poured into a Duvel snifter.

Pours a pitch black silky smooth color with a nice solid one finger deep brown head with lots of cratering and sticky lacing. Nose is very sweet, malty and it almost smells a bit like Belgian yeast, interesting. There are some hops but it's not over the top.

Wow, taste is something different, I'm not sure if I like it. It's a bit metallic (I don't attribute that to the can), and has a somewhat sharp tang. It's fairly acidic and harsh, a bit grainy as well. There are some hops because I do get bitterness on this but it seems more like bitterness from roasted malt. Mouthfeel is fairly watery, with very light but sharp carbonation. It's not so easy drinking and it leaves a bit of an off flavor in your mouth. Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in this.

2.66/5  rDev -27.7%

Sometimes this is what happens when other people bring over. This should be better, though. Dark brown with rubies..Roast and sweet malt battle with grassy, floral hops. Fairly nice smell, though the taste is where it loses me.
Not bad, just doesn't seem like quite the right mixture of hops and malt. Too much roast/coffee? Perhaps just the wrong kettle hops? It's difficult to say what is off, but with this style, it just is a little hit and miss, and this one misses for me right now. Little metallic..
Hopefully the new brewer can put his stamp on this one. Or maybe this is his..

2.67/5  rDev -27.4%

pours an opaque black with a khaki-colored head that dissipates quickly but leaves a thick film on the glass.

aroma is faint and almost non-existent, but what is there is metallic and sweet with some citrusy hops and a bit of roasty malt.

taste has a bit of roast an some cocoa, as well as some citrusy hops, but something is off about this can so far and I cannot quite pin it down. I just cannot get past the off-flavor. The malt profile reminds me of a brown ale with a bit of stout mixed in and an herbal, minty hop presence. maybe it is this peppermint I get from the hops that isn't quite meshing with the rest of the beer.

light-medium bodied with enough prickly carbonation and just a little oily resin.

eh. the off-flavor in this one ruins its drinkability for me. I bought the six pack, but I wish I had tried a single first. I probably wouldn't have purchased it again. I hope it grows on me. It's not terrible, but not pleasing either.

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: darker brown...not totally black, or
Brown heavy head on this beer.
Smell: Hops have a pine earthy smell to them, The roasting of the barley was strong and shows in the smell....You can smell the hops but not identifiable on the smell

Taste: I expected IPA and I was not exactly rewarded with that. But it was not chew through the beer either like you still expect with the look. It is an ok IPA but nothing I would strive to get.
Mouthfeel: Light-medium body
Overall: I drank this beer at boise beer festival and it didn't live up to the other black ipa's there.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A- Thin khaki head with minimal retention. Spotty lacing. Mahogany color with no clarity.

S- Hoppy but with malty sweetness, seems like a porter. Interesting.

T- Strange chocolate flavors. Roasted malts, bitter hops and a kind of milkiness.

M- Creamy and dry. Unique to black IPAs I've tasted.

O- I like this beer less and less the more I have it.

2.71/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nothing special, had an odd aftertaste for me. Could be an old can, but regardless nothing exciting.

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%

DO NOT DRINK this issue in a can. For whatever the reason, metallic taste leeches into the contents of the can. Beer has aluminum-metallic aftertaste.

DO DRINK this if it's on tap. One of the best black IPA's I've tried. I don't understand the problems with the cans, led to major disappointment, but I will continue to look for this on tap.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

poured from the can to a sun king shaped pint glass a dark cola color with a full finger loose bubbly mocha head leaving lace up the side of the glass.

strong aroma of floral hops and sweet candy.

sweet, tart and tangy, a very strange tasting brew. pungent floral, not at all agreeable.

thin, highly carbonated.