Back In Black | 21st Amendment Brewery

Added by tpd975 on 11-23-2008

Ratings: 2,396 |  Reviews: 712

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

Grabbed a can of this from Kroger while I was over in Columbus for a beer festival. Picked up another from the same brewery and a mixed set. I've been enjoying craft brews for some time, but the canned craft isn't something I've encountered much. Still getting used to seeing that.

A: Poured this into a pint glass and it made a decent head. The beer itself is dark, but not quite as much as the marketing and packaging made me think it might be.

S: The piney hop smell is definitely dominant on the front.

T: I think one of the biggest elements here is first a very refreshing pine, but then it moves quickly into resin-y flavor that comes out ever stronger as the beer warms. This is isn't horrible, but I wasn't a big fan of the taste. To me, this is the core component, and I was disappointed with the Back in Black.

It's not a strong hop flavor, but I don't think there's much else there either. Maybe a little bit of sweet.

M: Nothing to complain about here. The feel is smooth and easy to drink.

O: This is a decent beer, but I doubt I will be picking up anymore. If it was available, I'd drink it. I'd even recommend it to a friend. This one just isn't for me.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

2.87/5  rDev -22%

Back in Black - 21st Amendment Brewery

I grabbed a growlette of this tonight- being an IPA lover this beer sounded pretty intriguing, it is however my 1st "Black IPA".

In to a pint glass it goes.

It is a dark hazel brown color, though fairly clarified, and a decent amount of carbonation producing slightly more head then I was expecting.

On the nose I initially get a piney hop and semi sweetness followed by a light roasted malt and coffee. As I continue to smell I even get some cocoa nibs.

While I'm pleased with the smell, it does not carry through very well to the taste-
It's a bit watery, and an initial sweetness is then bombarded by carbonation in the mid and finishes very bitter.

There are some really nice nuances in the flavors, but it doesn't tie together well as a whole.

When I envisioned a Black IPA, this is nowhere near what came to mind.

But to be fair, it has a tasty quality to it, but it's definitely nothing too special.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Picked up a can from the Root Cellar in Cincinnati. Poured from can into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Very dark brown to black, and nearly opaque unless held to the light. Minimal visible carbonation, and a half-finger's worth of off-white head.

S: Dark cacao, pine hops, a bit of coffee. Overall impression is of sweetness.

T: Follows, but more coffee malt than the nose, and only a moderate amount of hops - pine and a bit of citrus rind in profile.

M: Medium body, low carbonation sensation, and a mild alcohol presence.

O: Not great...I'm a little disappointed. It was canned five months ago, so not at the peak of freshness. Still though - not particularly old, and not particularly good.

Back In Black from 21st Amendment Brewery