Back In Black | 21st Amendment Brewery

Added by tpd975 on 11-23-2008

Ratings: 2,400 |  Reviews: 714
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

12 Oz can poured into a tulip glass

A- Black in the can with red around the edges. A one finger off tan head.

S- The nose is extremely hoppy. The hop profile in mine is quite aged, I can tell mine isnt too fresh. There is some pineapple, overly ripened fruits. I can smell the carafa malts and some caramel.

T- There is a slight bitterness up front followed up by a roasted malt. I get a bit of the carafa malt as well. The hop flavor is not as strong as I would like, there is a slight grapefruit. The hop profile in my beer has definitely faded with age.

M- This is a good sized beer and has a nice feel to it. Its sticky and only a little bitter. Cleanish finish.

O- This beer is only ok, I can tell mine isn't fresh and I think that may have a lot to do with it

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

This brew poured with a two finger fluffy tan head. It looks almost exactly like a stout. The body was a dark brown, almost black. As a result, there is no visible carbonation. The head takes awhile to dissipate and leaves significant lacing on the glass. The nose has a hint of smoke or toastiness (maybe a little nuttiness?) and some hops. This is different from a normal IPA. There is definite hoppy bitterness on the taste, but there is almost a roasted nutty taste to it. This isn’t what I expected at all, but then again, I never had a black IPA. The finish lingers with a lot of nuttiness, moreso than the hops. I would have this again, probably after I had another black IPA to compare it to.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a Mother Earth tulip glass.

Appearance: Poured very smoothly, looked very similar to the appearance of a Coca-Cola. Very dark, but you can see some ruby colors towards the bottom when put to a light. Very nice tan/khaki head which dissipates quickly. Not much lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, darker chocolates, black coffee aromas. You get just a pinch of floral hops, but the smell is definitely more malty than hoppy.

Taste: Plays off of the smell pretty well; you get a little more hop bitterness in the taste, but you still get the abundance of coffee and dark chocolate. Some caramel notes thrown in as well, enriching the malty flavor of the beer. Medium to light bodied, very easy to drink.

Overall: Personally, I could see this being a good session beer. While dark in nature, it is not heavy whatsoever, and malts/hops accentuate each other very well. Nothing too fancy, but definitely worth a shot!

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark in color, hence why they call it a "black" IPA. Somehow, it actually seemed a little bit lighter and browner than most other black IPAs. A very thin layer of head formed after pouring that was light brown in color. A very small amount of lacing stuck to the glass and was consistent the whole way through.

S: Very sweet and malty. There is a hint of citrus and piney hops too. It smells very much like a homebrew wort.

T: A strong reflection of its smell. It is very malty with a hoppy finish. The IPA part of the beer is really struggling to show itself. The malt portion has got a burnished/roasty taste to it.

M: Medium/Low carbonation over a medium body. Goes down pretty clean with little aftertaste.

O: I was happy to try this as black IPAs seem to be a bit hard to find in my area. This one had a very prominent malt taste to it. Overall, it was good, but average in every aspect. This would be good as a beginners black IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

3.34/5  rDev -9.2%

Sampling a cellar temp glass poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a deep cola brown with fluffy tan head of 3 cm foaming up and reaching the top my glass before receding to a sturdy edge layer.
Aroma is rich and surprisingly malty. black ipa? where are the hops? I get some chocolate and maybe abit of herbal tea leaf scent, but certainly not the nose I anticipated.
First sip reveals an average body and fine tingly carbonation that is actually pretty gentle across the palate.

Flavor is caramel and toffee with bits of chocolate. I do get a little bit of astringent hops on the finish that dries out my mouth. Lingering bitterness as well.

The beer is very easy to drink, but the aroma is misleading to disappointing with lack of hops.
Probably wouldnt chase this one down again.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.
A) Dark brown hinting on black, with deep ruby glow when held up to the light. Full inch and a half of head from a vigorous pour. Lace that persists throughout.
S) Weakest part for me. The smell is so slight, hint of bitterness. hops, burnt malt. I had to really stick my nose deep in the glass to get a good whiff.
T) Really a very satisfying and pleasant brew. Drink-ability is the name of this game. Nothing outstanding or life changing but whats there is held in a nice balance. A satisfying bitterness and wet hop smell followed by roasted verging on burnt maltiness. The bitterness persists in the finish, reminds me of cold espresso without the mouth puckering aspect, as if it was cold brewed. I could drink several of these and not get sick of them. Highly sessionable with more then a little going on to keep you interested. Hint of creaminess on the end.
M) Medium bodied, lactose quality that fills the mouth. Pleasant but not requiring too much thought.
O) I would definitely drink this again as it was enjoyable without requiring too much thought and sometimes that's exactly what I want. However it cost ten bucks a six pack, and at that price I want something earth shattering, and that this is not. But if you threw a can at me, I would gratefully drink it.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Picked up a single of this one during my last trip to the local liquor store. Not my first experience with a Black Ale/Black IPA, but definetly memorable. Let's get into it, shall we?

Glassware: Pint glass.

A: Pours very nicely. Two fat fingers of silky, light-tan head tops a beer the color of rich dark chocolate. Lacing is good - not too heavy, but consistent.

S: Immediately aromatic. Slightly alcoholic, with a ton of really complex, warm spices. To be honest, there's so much going on in this beer that it was tough for my still-learning palate to pick out specifics, but I definetly got a solid whiff of caramel malt & coffee, accompanied by orange, cloves, ginger, and resinous piney, hoppy notes overtop. Very nice.

T: Very closely mimics the nose - bright, lively spices backed with slightly sweet roastyness and coffee. Some alcohol, but not enough to distract from the other flavors.

M: Nice and smooth - a little chewy, but definetly not heavy at all. Finishes clean.

O: Me likey. Solid & complex without being complicated or straying from the style.

Back In Black from 21st Amendment Brewery