Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fireside Chat | 21st Amendment Brewery

Fireside ChatFireside Chat
3.51/5
Good
Fireside ChatFireside Chat

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.

Added by elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Ratings: 1,303 |  Reviews: 357

4.86/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +35.9%

This beer pours a dark mohogany color with a thik, fluffy brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a thick lace.

This beer has a pleasent, mild nutmeg aroma. I get a slight cinnimon aroma also. It has a mild, toffee like malty aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. I like the mild, but noticable nutmeg flavor.

This beer is crisp, and refreshing. It leaves a spicy nutmeg like aftertaste. Carbonation is medium.

This beer might make a decent session beer. It is a little high in alcohol, and that is about the onl;y problem I see with it.

Overall: I liked this beer quite a bit. I am surprized it is rated so low. It is well balanced, with a nice flavor.

4.77/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer, I have enjoyed

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

12 oz. can, 2014 edition poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, deep, dark, completely opaque, mahogany color with two full fingers of white head that dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Strong notes of toasted malt, dried stone fruit, winter spices such as clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, ginger, dark molasses and a touch of dark chocolate. Smells great!

Taste: Exactly like its aroma. Strong flavors of toasted malt, followed by strong flavors of dried stone fruit such as prunes, raisins, figs, apricots and dates, followed by candied sugar and Belgian yeast, and finally, some great flavors of spices such as clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel and ginger. Delicious!

Mouth feel: Medium to slightly chewy and pretty smooth, as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 7.9%, there is just a slight touch, a hint really, of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Wow! Another great beer from 21st Amendment!! Tons of malt, stone fruit and spices! Delicious!!

4.7/5  rDev +33.9%

4.68/5  rDev +33.3%

4.68/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ can into an "Ass Clown" brewery pint glass.
Aroma- World class smell, you can smell the whole spice rack in this beer. nutmeg, cinnamon, malt and some others make this a special aroma.
Appearance- Pours a reddish-brown and has a small white head.
Taste- I truly love this flavor, I have noticed that I am in the minority rating this, but hey each there own.
Palate- A medium bodied lightly carbonated creamy textured beer.
Overall- A great beer for me, this is the first winter warmer style beer I have had and I think the next one I try will be hard to top this one.

4.64/5  rDev +32.2%

4.61/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +31.1%

A- straight from the can; I was at work and wasn't fast enough to get one of the snifters

S- crazy complex - fruity, malty and deep

T- like nothing like I've ever had; the taste follows the nose almost to a 'T', extremely rich with sweet dark plum and a bit of licorice - it's hard to explain other than it's a rich brew...

M- thinner than I was expecting (I was expecting a heavy liquid - don't know why) but rich nonetheless

D- your not going to sit down and finish a 4-pack off but a nice, rich end to a meal for sure... and if your not used to a rich, fruity beer I doubt your going to like this. If your a novice and interested in this beer I suggest finding a single can or find some friends to go in on a 4-pack.

Would think that a hot-out-of-the-oven chocolate brownie with hot chocolate sauce on it would be a perfect pairing for this...

4.55/5  rDev +29.6%

A - Dark brown with a little bit of head.

S - Smell some spices.

T - Really enjoyable. Warm malty flavor. Alcohol is not overwhelming. Caramel hints.

M - Excellent. Creamy, with light carbonation. Medium body.

D - I really enjoyed this beer. I could drink several of them and will be drinking it again.

4.51/5  rDev +28.5%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Fireside Chat | 21st Amendment Brewery. Poured from the can into a snifter, the head on this beer is three fingers thick and khaki, with solid lacing, and a very, very deep garnet body.

Smells like hearty grains and roasted malts, with hints of molasses, ginger spice, and nutmeg. Nothing about this is overpowering or artificial-smelling, mind you.

I taste a full bodied, yet balanced blend of the aforementioned with a small zip at the end. Clean finish with a smaller booze warmth, which I'm rather grateful for on this frigid December night in Northeastern Ohio.

The mouthfeel is medium with mild carbonation.

I'll rate Fireside Chat | 21st Amendment Brewery with an overall 4.5. A winter ale that's not too heavy but still delivers its share of flavor and warmth.

Fireside Chat from 21st Amendment Brewery