Fireside Chat | 21st Amendment Brewery

Fireside ChatFireside Chat

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.

Added by elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

16%

Ratings: 1,280 |  Reviews: 354

1.17/5  rDev -66.6%

Let me just start this semi-long winded review on how much I disliked this beer...I disliked it so much that I stopped what I was doing at 4 AM to come and write my first review on beer advocate. I’ve been reading reviews on this site for over a year now and I’m on it quite frequently, I’ve been meaning to start writing reviews for months now and well...Holy god damn shit this was the perfect inspiration. I by no means am an expert, and I fully understand that everyones palate is different, I’m sure there’s someone on this planet who can find something to like about this beer but they are probably a tad slow or dying of some kind of horrible disease that effects their senses...but I digress

A: Dark brown and red with a surprisingly deceiving head, I looked at it and said “wow that looks like a good beer”

S: Dark (dark wasn’t a smell until now) black coffee mixed with a small amount of 10-W30 engine oil, maybe an odd type of weird dried fruit scent in there some where, uhhh and alcohol and water scents as well

T: Dark (also a taste now as well), burnt, thick with coffee and weird dried fruit on occasion oil, lots of a bitter taste and a very strong presence of alcohol, some weird spices , very very harsh and unenjoyable, this should be called “fireside unnecessarily horrible yet intentional suicide”

M: Thick, chalky, harsh, rough...I keep taking a small sip of this after every section of this review and...god this is just really bad.

O: I’m extremely open minded when it comes to all beer, 99.9% of what I try that I’m not a fan of I can at least find something positive to say about it, and I usually end on an “I won’t buy it again but I’d drink it if it was offered to me” type of note. NOT fireside chat, I will never drink this shat again. It’s just not good, I’m not trying to be a jerk it is just a sincerely bad product.

1.36/5  rDev -61.1%

Lord knows I enjoy a fireplace and some witty banter. Opaque oxblood to black. Thin tan top that is quick to collar.

I get steamed veggies at first whiff...uh oh. The veggies blend with some Belgian-y winter spices and maybe molasses? I once brewed a terrible molasses beer that had horrid Fireside sour note so maybe it's my own projection. No real malt or hop character at all. Just a boatload of nastiness.

Thin body. Odd fruit flavor, kinda like slightly sour diet cola.

I just finished a 16 mile run and plopped myself in front of the TV to enjoy my long run reward beer. That I chose this beer is a huge letdown. I demand justice! Or at least a better beer.

This was a drainpour.

1.36/5  rDev -61.1%

Was looking forward to this beer. Unfortunately it was sour sour and sour. Very disappointing. The spiciness was overwhelmed by the sour flavor. I could only taste a slight hint of it

I am afraid I got a bad batch. It was that bad. Unless it was meant to be a sour beer. Then they hit it dead on.

1.36/5  rDev -61.1%

Poured from the can into a standard shaker pint. Pours a murky golden brown. A slight smell of molases is present but not much else. Taste is non-existant. No flavor at all. A lot of carbonation but it takes away from the severe lack of any flavor. This is a downright undrinkable beer. Fail.

1.46/5  rDev -58.3%

Wow, I didn't want my first review to be a bad one, but this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. At $9 a six pack it was a rip off. Tastes like metal or blood. Frail body.

I don't even want to spend any more time on this review it was so bad. Stay away ...

1.47/5  rDev -58%

I think somebody found some old Jeremiah James recipes laying around the Cold Spring brewery and decided to use it for this 21st amendment beer which is contract brewed at Cold Spring.

This has that same vinegar, spoiled eggs flavor and aroma of those classic Jeremiah James beers...the spicing on this one masks it a little and the body isn't bad...medium full...but overall this is one of the worst winter spice beers I have ever had.

Avoid.

1.5/5  rDev -57.1%

1.51/5  rDev -56.9%

Pour a brown color with a light tan head with fair retention and not much lacing. Smells like cinnamon, cloves, ginger, roasted malt, and some hops. The roasted malt does not go well with the other aromas.

The taste is much like the aroma, and the roasted malt and the cinnamon, cloves, and ginger do not work well together. This is a mess to be honest.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation. The aftertaste has a confused mixture of spices and dark roasted malt which do not work together. Whoever thought beer this was a good idea was sadly mistaken. Thankfully I picked this can up as a single, so I never have to try it again.

1.7/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into snifter

Appearance: bright brownish with a decent head

Smell: sweet, faint hints of hops and spice

Taste: somewhat sweet with excepted caramel and spiciness. a couple of things I can quite put my finger on. It almost taste infected with metallic and very faint vinegar notes. Just awful. I cant remember the last time I had a drain pour.

Feel: low to mid carbonation with a thin mouth feel.

Drinkability: Terrible. I'm convinced I had an infected batch. I really hope so as most of the previous stuff from 21st Amendment as been good.

1.75/5  rDev -50%

1.75/5  rDev -50%

1.76/5  rDev -49.7%

Pours a very dark ruby color that's pretty much brown with mahogany edges and a two finger light beige head that slowly settles into lasting ring. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Very spicy aroma with lots of dark fruit and slightly roasted malts. Potpourri like with flower petals, cinnamon, brown sugar and clove. The spices really overpower the aroma in an unpleasant way but underneath there is some dark fruit and others berries.

Medium bodied with a harsh, overly aggressive spice presence that lingers over the sweeter notes into a acrid, bone dry finish. Lots of potpourri spice with bark, cinnamon, pepper, ginger and clove which creates an unpleasant dry flavor that dominates. Underneath there us some sweet malt and dark fruit along with a syrupy, medicinal character. This beer is overly spice but also cloyingly sweet. Just all over the place and a bit if a mess.

1.83/5  rDev -47.7%

Fireside Chat pours a dark brown with an off white head. In the nose, spices (nutmeg) and a sweet toffee maltyness. Malty, quite spicy with some vegetal/pumpkin notes. Also a weird sourness that detracts from the flavor. Is this infected? If I was told this was a poorly made pumpkin ale, I'd believe it. Falls pretty much flat on the palate, low carbonation on a medium to heavy body. The flavors just clash to me I found this one to be kind of a mess. Nice try, but missed the mark for me. Couldn't finish a pint, and I was thirsty. Fail.

1.84/5  rDev -47.4%

Here's $1.79 wasted. And I wanted it to be good. I love the brewery and the Prez on the thing but good lord there's nothing that can save this beer. MAybe i was decieved by the Winter Wamer label and wanted more bock-ish spiceyness to it. Just bad

A- Pretty brew
T- Off the bat it smells like a Wild ale thats soured.
T- A mess of sour apple and sour pear with too much sweetness and bitter wood...I wouldn't spray this at my dog in fear it would hurt too much.
M-Pungent and sour...bitter/sharp, and the the good cheese sharp, but the sunny delight sharp.
D- Can't make it through 6 sips.

1.89/5  rDev -46%

On-tap at 21A

A: The pour is almost black cherry in color with a creamy off-white head.

S: Smells like sour cherries and prunes with some metal, smoke, and cereal. There's a bit of a booze-soaked fruit cake thing going on a well.

T: Like the nose, lots of sour/spoiled fruit juices, particularly cherries, prunes, and raisins. A bit of an olive flavor as well as metal and cheerios. And just for good measure, some alcohol and brown sugar.

M: The body and carbonation is both medium.

D: Another loser from 21A. This was bad in just about every way.

1.91/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a dark brown with a full tan head. Head retention is good leaving some nice lacing behind. Has kind of an odd aroma for this style of beer. Gives a lemon and grass aroma with some undiscernable spices. A strange metallic flavor comes through, some undiscernable spices, and an off bitter flavor.

1.95/5  rDev -44.3%

Thanks to BJ for this! Been wanting to try it for a while.

Poured very deep maroon/mahogany brown with a long lasting beige head that left amoeboid patches of lace in my Duvel tulip. Diminished and kept as a thin cap. No sediment or haziness. Very interesting aroma. I get a prominent oud bruin/Flanders red type of aroma with a light touch of caramel overlaid with cherries and vinous character. This is enhanced by figs, prunes, and holiday-spiced chocolate. Very interesting and it makes to anticipate the first sip...

Which is utterly and despicably nasty. Oh my god wtf happened here? The initial vinous character gets instantly muted by something that tastes like old bologna, aluminum/iron/copper shavings, malt vinegar, and astringent tea boiled for a number of weeks. I have a few hypotheses:

Someone was eating a bologna sandwich while brewing this beer and dropped it in and in light of this, wanted to experiment with the bologna. He then dumped the rest of the package in and while doing so, accidentally dropped a number of pennies and rusted spoons into the kettle. Then, they overboiled the spices and hence the astringent character.

Someone puked into the yeast. All the good yeast died, but then a few mutated ones survived and thrived in the puke. These yeasts proliferated and was added to the wort and thus yielded the awfulness.

Someone sabotaged the beer in the bright tank. They made a concoction of rusted metal parts from the junkyard, added some herbs and cinnamon, and boiled it down to a thick syrup, blended it with vinegar, then added it just prior to canning.

The mouthfeel is thin, dry, and astringent, although the carbonation isn't overdone. However, I can't drink this. At all. I therefore sacrifice this beer to my sink.

1.95/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours into a snifter a dark ruby brown color with a thick creamy tan head on top. Nice retention and awesome patches of lacing.

Potpourri aerosol smell. Very strong and floral with some artificial spice notes. Smells very fake.

Tastes much like it smells. Fake potpourri room freshening spray with a strong metallic presence as well. A bitter and sharp lingering aftertaste of what only reminds me of a room freshener.

A medium body with plenty of soft carbonation. Really pretty nice feeling.

I can count on one hand how many drainpours I've ever had and this one is going to get added to that. There is nothing natural about the nose or the taste here. Avoid this beer at all costs unless you like drinking aerosol cans of room freshening spray.

Too bitter for me