Fireside Chat | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Fireside ChatFireside Chat

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.

Added by elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Ratings: 1,274 |  Reviews: 352
2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

A - Poured a dark brown mahogany body with slight red or ruby highlights. Head was just shy of 2 fingers and was very frothy, creamy texture against some larger bubbles. Left a few streaks of lacing, and always appeared lively.

S - Smell is very sweet and fruity at first with an immediate wallop of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some other things from the spice rack in there... very spiced smelling. The sweet fruity aroma is almost raisiny, with a thick bready malt note. Like some sort of overly sweet and rich holiday desert.

T - Taste follows the nose but is engulfed in an astringent finish that swallows it up like a black hole. Nothing can escape the astringency... accept the cinnamon and the sweetnes. So yes.. no real malt, hops, just a drying astringent holiday cookie that was overcooked. On top of that, somehow in the face of massive astringency, the sweetness is just immense... I think cloying is a harsh word and I try not to use it in my reviews without some restraint... but this... this is cloyingly sweet beer.

M - Thick, sweet but still astringent.

O - This was neither refreshing, nor could it possibly perpetuate any fireside chat. Maybe I should smoke a cigarette like the guy on the can to add some flavor. Sorry for the diatribe, I often find myself liking most of the new beers I try. This one would be a drain pour if I wasn't committed to writing this review based on a fully drunken beer to give it the benefit of the doubt that it gets better as it warms. It doesn't.

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.12/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance : Deep Amber , two fingers head.
Smell: Malt, Caramel, Spices.
Taste: A very interesting winter warmer, spice hits the back of the tong.
Overall: An OK winter warmer, but not my favorite.

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Dark brown body with a tan head. Smells almost like a gingerbread nut brown. Taste is nutmeg, cinnamon, gingerbread. With a light bitterness. Light bodied, kinda watery. Overall, this is just okay.

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

nice winter warmer I really enjoy this one, I think one of their most complex beers, malty with a soda cracker and molasses and spice

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very dark, lots of lace, subtle spices. Very good!

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.79/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Brownish copper with a half finger of head. Mild bready nose. Malty with a touch of sweetness. The body is hearty enough to pass as a Winter Warmer. Nice dry finish.

2.95/5  rDev -14%

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can into a teku glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with ruby tones. The head is two fingers high and off-white in shade. The retention is pretty decent, but the oily texture means little lacing is left on my glass. Whatever, its still an attractive brew. (4)

Smell: I'm getting mild hints of caramel mostly. There are additional hints of smoke, graham cracker, cinnamon, and molasses as well. The spicing is very subdued here - and I consider that a good thing. Y'know, just from smelling it, I'm not really sure why it's a 79... (3.75)

Taste: At first, I get a little more spiciness (cinnamon, nutmeg, et al) than I did from the nose. Still, by no means do the spice notes dominate. The mid-taste and back end bring not only caramel, nuts, and molasses, but even some smoke as well. Some piny hop notes also help finish this off. Not bad at all, I must say. (3.5)

Mouthfeel: I like how the malt sweetness doesn't weigh down on the palate, instead leaving the palate dryly. There seems to be an astringent prickle post-swallow, but that only makes it more drinkable. Also giving it good drinkability is its high carbonation. (3.5)

Overall: You know what? This works. It's not hilariously over-spiced, nor is it hilariously under-attenuated. I'll even call it well balanced. These are the kinds of beers I like: ones where I don't expect much, but I end up being pleasantly surprised. (3.75)

3.63/5: One of the more solid (and underrated) winter warmers I've had

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%