Fireside Chat | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
Read the review
Fireside ChatFireside Chat

21st Amendment Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Winter Warmer

Like FDR’s Depression-era radio addresses, which were like a kick in the butt and a hug at the same time, our Fireside Chat is a subtle twist on the traditional seasonal brew. We begin with a rich, dark, English-style ale and then we improvise with spices until we know we have a beer worth sharing with the nation.

Fireside Chat is our early winter seasonal brew available from October through December in six pack cans and on draft. Brewed like a classic, warming Strong Ale but with a subtle blend of hand-selected spices for just the right festive flair.

Added by elgiacomo on 10-19-2010

Reviews: 340 | Ratings: 1,225
4.12/5  rDev +20.5%

Color was a deep brownish orange. The tan colored head was creamy, had very good retention, and left a nice lacing on the glass. The first thing I noticed in aroma was the complex mix of spices. Although I couldn't identify what they were, they provided a nice introduction to the beer.

After the first taste, I was struck by how well balanced this beer was. The malts, hops, a mild sweetness, and the kick of the alcohol all hit my palate at once. After the initial rush of flavor, I noticed the mixed spices. It also had a sweetness similar to what I tasted in Back in Black. While I thought the sweetness seemed a bit out of place in Back in Black, it worked well in Fireside Chat. After it warmed up, the malts were more pronounced. Carbonation level was good and it had a nice mouth feel.

Fireside Chat had everything I want in a holiday beer--a more pronounced malt profile, "warming" from a higher alcohol content, and something unusual thrown in the mix.

2.15/5  rDev -37.1%

Ruby cola color with big brown fluffy head with great retention. Chocolate, cola, molasses and herbal aromas. Salty chocolate and guarana, birch, juniper and other herbs/spices. Astringent bitter linger with light sweetness. Thin feel with moderate-high carbonation.

No matter what I could not get agood taste out of this. The only thing that helped a little was allowing it to warm further. Still, flavors were muddy when not overshadowed by an overwhelming astringency.

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz can purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane. No freshness date.

Poured a dark, cola-like color, with a good sized, creamy light tan head. When held up to the light it took on a dark ruby hue. Webs of sticky lace remained behind on my glass.

Spicy and roasty in the nose. Smells like it might be fairly sweet.

Roasted malts and spices vie for attention. There's an odd sweet flavor that I just can't pin down, but it's not unpleasant at all. I was hoping for a little more complexity, but it doesn't taste bad at all.

Medium bodied, with a slightly prickly mouthfeel.

Fairly drinkable, though perhaps the spices might get a little cloying were I to have more. It's a bit strong for session drinking as well. Still, you could do worse.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a ruby toned amber with a thick, 3 finger head of light tan foam that slowly fades out. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of roasted nuts, cocoa, cinnamon, and mild hops. Pretty nice so far!
Taste is of the aromas with some notes of sauteed bananas, smoked wood, and some allspice berries with brown sugar.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly warming, with moderate carbonation in the finish.

3.47/5  rDev +1.5%

Fairly good winter warmer. A few different things going on here as well as the Christmas spice potpourri. Poured into a pint glass as a murky mahogany color with red highlights when held to a light. Nice big fluffy off white head with good retention and some lacing. A fairly good looking beer.

Smell was fairly robust as well. Malty, Christmas spices and some Belgian yeast aroma.

Tasted ok. The flavors didn't blend that well, but it is nice to find a winter warmer that is not just Christmas store spicy and thin. I liked the Belgian aspect (yeast and spices) to break up the cinnamon/nutmeg monotony. There is a solid bready malt backbone that keeps the flavor somewhat together.

Mouthfeel is about average, at least not watery. Drinkability is ok as a slow sipper on a cold night. Pleasant but one would probably do it.

2.07/5  rDev -39.5%

12 oz can poured into Pint Glass

A: Golden brown in color, nice fluffy tan head about a fingers worth. Head settles to a nice thin layer with wonderful lacing all the way down the glass... Wonderful looking beer.

S: Wild mix of malt, spice, caramel and yeast. Interesting ..

T: From the smell to taste is a big step down.... it is extremely tart and strangely sour, with a very light sweetness mid way through, with a warming alcohol burn. Wow this to me is just bad....

M: Medium bodied and very carbonated, yet dry.

D: Looks great, smells pretty good and un-drinkable!!! Just cannot get anything other than the look and smell out of this one. Sorry 21st Amendment, another bad one.

3.11/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass

Pours a ruby-brown color, with very little beige head, no visible carbonation. Smell is like a spicy lager with caramel.

Taste is surprisingly bland, surprisingly sweet, I can taste some nutmeg I think.

Mouthfeel is rather still, a little dry, not thick or sticky. Too much sweetness to be very drinkable, to me.

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first had this beer at my local bar, South, in Park Slope Brooklyn. I've read a lot of reviews about the beer in the can version, and I think that the draft may be a bit different. I'm not usually one to have this particular style of beer, but after taking a sample of it and drinking a full pint, I kind of liked it. The first smell was deceiving, it smelled like a barbecue. But the taste was nice. It was medium bodied, slightly carbonated, and had a mild casky smoked taste. It followed with notes of chocolate and a subtle maltyness that I felt hid the alcohol content quite well. Good end to my night after drinking triples.

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

I like the can, especially with the FDR art. The beer itself leaves something to be desired. It's a rich red color with a fairly small, fizzy tan head. The aroma is a mix of spice, malt, and sourness (that I'm not certain isn't originating from a spice). The taste is moderately malty, with a notable twang. Malt flavor, but it's a little hollow...Spice notes, but not very balanced. No hop presence. Medium body, with a little alcohol coming out in the hind-taste. All in all, this isn't as drinkable as I had hoped.

3.11/5  rDev -9.1%

Tasty crack cans!

A semi generous pour yields a big frothy almost 2 finger head that fades semi slowly with a nice sticky lacing, over surprisingly clear dark molasses rosy brown colored beer.

Nose of some dark malts, molasses, syrups, spices, nutty aromas, cinnamon, a bit of dark fruit, fig, the spices are a little much.

Taste starts with creamy malts, quite a bit of fruits, some slightly sour fig and fruit, a bit of syrups, molasses, a weird fruity malty flavor that I know but can't put my finger on with a sour flavor to it, a slight bit of roast and dark crystal malts, also plenty of spices, hints of cinnamon and nutty flavors, ginger?, and a very slight warming booze. Finish is still sweet as the start was, as well as lingering fruits and those strange malt flavors, and lingering slightly sour fruits and molasses, as well as light spices.

Mouth is medium bodied with spices, and decent carbonation, as well as a little syrupy.

Drink is meh, slightly syrupy and semi sweet, even finishes sweet, it starts to get a bit of minerality on teh finish as well, light spices, and light sour fruits, and bit of booze give it a tougher drink.

3.02/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: pours a dark brown color with a big 3" head that lasts. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: slightly sour dark fruits, nutmeg, cinammon and a big earthy tone creates an odd aroma.

Taste: caramel, hint of roasted nuts, dark fruits, some well hidden citrus, nutmeg, cinammon, a decent bitterness, and a bit of earthiness and touch of sourness creates a uniquely flavored beer. Alcohol is slightly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, and smoother towards the finish. Aftertaste is long as the flavors last on the tongue.

Drinkability: so-so at best. This is a bit unbalanced and slow sipping. Interesting to try, but not one I would select for winter party.

2.29/5  rDev -33%

Thanks to AndrewNations for sending this in the Secret Santa BIF!

Poured into a tulip pint: Dark brown, approaching black, with plenty of deep amber (chestnut?) highlights. 3 fingers of glistening tan that leaves moderate lacing.

Smell is...ooh boy - yep, I think this one's infected. Some green apple & dark fruit skin with a funky tang. A little bit of spice & raising but way overwhelming by the tang. Not unpleasant, until it develops a weird onion smell, just a tad, but still knocking this into the "bad" realm. A little caramel shows up later.

Taste has more tart apple, some bitter orange, underlying raisin-y spice but kind of curls around again in a way that's both rich & spoiled, acidic. Again, not bad at first, but soon gets to be too much. Acid fruit aftertaste, more orange.

Tart & acidic mouthfeel, not quite vinegar but not far off. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, dry & salivating in the aftertaste.

I kind of expected that this would be off & was also kind of looking forward to it. The sour/funky aspect combined with the spicy winter ale notes were an interesting novelty at first, but soon gets to be too much. I'd be interested to see what this is supposed to taste like.

1.91/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a dark brown with a full tan head. Head retention is good leaving some nice lacing behind. Has kind of an odd aroma for this style of beer. Gives a lemon and grass aroma with some undiscernable spices. A strange metallic flavor comes through, some undiscernable spices, and an off bitter flavor.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%

Been wanting to pick this up for a while now. I appreciate 21st Amendment but havent really found a brew that jumps out at me.

A - A nice typical mahogany pour with a light one finger off white barely tan head that fades at your average rate leaving nice side lacing and some swirls atop the brew.

S - Average winter warmer smells here combining with a dark ale fruit aromas. Interesting.

T - Nice combination of winter warmer flavours and belgian strong dark ale ones. Nice sweet malts tastes too.

M - Low carbonation sits a little heavy and syrupy in the mouth.

D - This is a good winter warmer, but there are better winter warmers out there that are readily available for a reasonable price.

3.04/5  rDev -11.1%

A 12 oz. can poured to a pint glass. Picked up a 6-pack for a house warming/last minute pottery sale my wife threw today. Interesting label of a cigarette-smoking FDR chatting (fireside!)... with an elf? Tan and rust-brown, not typically the most appealing colors...

A: No justice is served by pouring this one at any cooler than 50 degrees - wow, is it impressive looking. Deep, rich mahogany with hints of pomegranate redness, fairly clear when held to light. Good carbonation. Fantastic head, a full two-fingered topping of dense khaki cream. Good retention and sturdy banding lace.

S: Fruit muddling and roasted nut notes... then a fairly strong whiff of alcohol. Musty, dusty and metallic.

T: A very unusual fruity-tart flavor, paired with toffee and coffee roast. Burnt nuts and lemony cocoa powder; plenty of off-flavors here. Whatever spicing there is here is dry and dirty and not very pleasing. That odd metallic (copper? iron?) twang does no favors here.
EDIT: I did have a couple others after the review, served at somewhere between cellar and room temperature ~ more fruit and spice are apparent, the tinny twang is greatly decreased.

M: Modest carbonation, soft and creamy. A velvety feel marred a little by a lasting bitterness. Feel isn't the worst thing this beer has going for it.

D: I love winter warmers. I love malty beers. I love hearty beers. I even love spiced beers. Really thought I'd love this one. Didn't. Something about the metallic twang, the tartness and an unappealing roast made this a mixed bag - one that I probably don't need to get again (although reading reviews about the draft version do sound better). *Might* have it again if I see it on a taplist... but this was a bad introduction.

2.47/5  rDev -27.8%

Not a bad beer, just not a good beer. Bitter aftertaste after a smooth initial start. The metal can is pretty good and easier to use then the traditional bottle. Have to admit that I am not a big fan of spiced beers to that makes my look lower overall.

1.83/5  rDev -46.5%

Fireside Chat pours a dark brown with an off white head. In the nose, spices (nutmeg) and a sweet toffee maltyness. Malty, quite spicy with some vegetal/pumpkin notes. Also a weird sourness that detracts from the flavor. Is this infected? If I was told this was a poorly made pumpkin ale, I'd believe it. Falls pretty much flat on the palate, low carbonation on a medium to heavy body. The flavors just clash to me I found this one to be kind of a mess. Nice try, but missed the mark for me. Couldn't finish a pint, and I was thirsty. Fail.

3.61/5  rDev +5.6%

Get this one on tap...Taste great... picked up a very sour taste when i drank it out of the can.

A= the darkness that filled the glass made me look around and try an find the fireplace...

S= thought there would be a bit more of the cinnamon or nutmeg notes but did not really smell it

T= I was lucky enough to have my first glass at the brewery. It was all I was hoping it would be..a mouth full of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. a couple days later I did go to the store at bought a 2 pack...I was puzzled, it tasted tottally different... very sour....

M= very pleasant..enjoyed it very much not has caronated as I thought but good

D= Nice way to start the evening..more than one would be overkill

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a deep amber with two fingers of foamy tan head that sticks around and leaves tons of lacing.

Aroma is of nutmeg and a sweet caramel malt, more spices like cinnamon and a little woodiness round it out.

Tastes strongly of nutmeg, with the cinnamon in the background. Caramel malt fills out the rest. Some more of the spices are present but dominated by the nutmeg and cinnamon. There is a distinct metallic sourness that permeates the whole palate. I don't think the can was a good idea as far as flavor is concerned.

Very smooth and drinkable, medium-full body with a malty aftertaste. The whole thing is kind of folded in on itself, kinda muted, and the nutmeg is very dominant. The can definitely lends flavor and not in a good way. I think cans are a great idea that more breweries should use, but it didn't work for this particular flavor.

But overall it's a halfway decent winter warmer. Worth a try. The ABV is well-hidden unlike some others in the same class.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: one inch head, clear, dark brown in color

Smell: cinnamon and nutmeg. This smells like a Christmas candle.

Taste: toasted malt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some sourness

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied, medium/high carbonation, slightly bitter with spices

Drinkability: An average winter warmer. I could have a couple. The spices are there but are somewhat muted. I have had better from this brewery.

2.71/5  rDev -20.8%

I really like the way this beer looks. The can is a cool design and it pours beautifully with about 1 fingers worth of head and a dark brown color, but it all goes down hill from there.
The smell is a bit sour but you can pick out the spices too.
The taste is a mash up of all kinds of stuff. Its sour, yet hoppy. Malty, yet over spiced. Complex, but not in the right ways.
I'm really not sure what this beer was going for, but overall I just give it a "Meh." I finished my glass, but I definitely did not reach for another. In fact I gave the remaining beers away because I knew I didn't want another one.
So far I have had 2 21st Amendment beers and both have been pretty lackluster.

4.1/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer pours beautiful and dark, like a winter's night near the solstice. Nice little quarter inch head puffs up, then lays down leaving lace along the way, like holiday garlands.

As for smell, the sour notes hit up front, that's for certain. A subtle malty-ness is present, but it is jostling for nostril space with the spice notes that abound.

I love a good sour-ish beer, and this is certainly that. The malty character that was only barely delectable in the nose is easily discernible in the palate. It's not as sour as most other sour beers, and that's only because they have a vivid spice action going. The hops got kind of lost in the mix for me.

There's good carbonation here, and that accentuates the spices and hops. Not an oily beer at all, and not too watery, either.

Drinkability depends on the drinker, figure that. I happen to like a good spiced dark beer, especially when the season calls for it. Being in Northern California we get fog for most of the year, so a beer like this to warm up a late night is always welcome.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

This winter warmer from San Francisco's 21st Amendment pours reindeer brown with an inch-think eggnog-colored head. In the pint glass, the brew looks black as a winter's night, due to a hearty mix of Munich, wheat, crystal, aromatic, chocolate, and black malts.

Its nose betrays the Chat's 7.9% alcohol and the hearty English-style backbone. There is a sour note mixed with seasonal spices, kind of like a gingerbread man that ran afoul of the gingermafia and has been rotting in a field for a few days. But in a good way.

As it warms, the Magnum and Golding hop aromatics wake up and start to balance out the cereal bill. For such a weighty grain profile, I would have expected more of a bready mouthfeel, but the Chat is thin enough to be followed by another without feeling stuffed like the proverbial Christmas goose. Feliz Navidad.

4.45/5  rDev +30.1%

Straight outta the can, so appearance here is completely the artwork. It smells like Christmas and the taste carries through as well. A lot of spice, but not all upfront and even kind of cinnamonny at the end. At 7.8% you might be expecting a very hoppy beer, but the spices do a lot to balance out the hoppy-ness, which scores points with me. I tend to prefer maltier brews. Carbonation was perfect in my can. You don't even realize it's 8% until you stand up to get the second one and fall back down. Didn't see any elves, though, like the one FDR is chatting up on the artwork. Very enjoyable brew. Even at $10 a 6er, I'll be going back for some more.

2.22/5  rDev -35.1%

The can is awesome.

A: Very deep brown color with a finger of creamy white head. Quite a bit of lacing as well. Nice looking beer.

S: Sourness. It smells almost like an Oud Bruin. Oak and sourness. Totally not to style at all but I do enjoy the aroma. When it warmed up you got some nutmeg as well but the sourness was bracing for a while.

T: Maybe even a little bit of an infection. Not as much as the nose would lead you to believe. You do not get any spices really. Kind of bland really. The only thing giving it any taste is a possible infection.

M: A little too thin for the style. Carbonation is good.

D: This beer is a little bit of a mess. I actually drainpoured it. In case the 21A cares the code on the can is 0279 2144. Not a good beer.

Fireside Chat from 21st Amendment Brewery