Sneak Attack Saison | 21st Amendment Brewery

good
good
Read the review
Sneak Attack SaisonSneak Attack Saison

21st Amendment Brewery
21st-amendment.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

You might not expect a Saison in winter. But the enemy didn’t expect Washington to cross the icy Delaware, either. Expectations be damned, we say. We’re sneaking up on winter with a boatload of bravado and this Belgian-style farmhouse ale. Dry hopped with whole organic cardamom pods, our Saison has an assertive spiciness. In your face, winter.

Added by Hoptometrist on 01-04-2013

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.44/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

3.12/5  rDev -13.1%

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a can at Fireworks Restaurant in Brattleboro Vermont, poured into a cold pint glass.

Look--
Pleasant straw yellow with even haze throughout the column, little foam.

Smell--
Subtle lemon, banana ester that you might expect from a Hefeweisen like Hoegaarden. Enjoyable.

Taste--
Again reminded me of the notes in Hoegaarden, and good, but some sort of relative hole in the taste that I cannot describe….Perhaps I wanted a little more of that thick, syrupy banana taste that I expected from the scent. It may be that the saison style is supposed to be leaner, more crisp, and less sweet. More of that nice banana does linger as the beer warms, so I'd definitely suggest having this one luke cold.

Feel--
Hard to separate from the taste. Overall I really like what the beer has up front and I personally would prefer some of those qualities lingering. There is nothing new and unpleasant as it goes down. I just meant to say that I want the nice qualities of this beer to stick around longer after a sip.

Overall, I did enjoy this one (fun label art too, with the Crossing the Delaware reference). A lot of nice qualities that I wanted to get more of, like with Paulaner Hefeweisen's yeasty banana thing. On the other end, the few saisons I know well have that barnyard quality, which I do not get here. This one has a thin flavor profile to me but is still tasty and nicely balanced.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Really refreshing Saison, has all the elements

4.06/5  rDev +13.1%

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.31/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%

2.56/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Just not what I was looking for.

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: [4.50] The beer is a transparent straw color. It is pale compared to most beers. There is very little head - just a white covering on the beer. Lots of nucleation bubbles from the bottom. The can lists the best by date 4/30/15, the ABV 6.2% and the IBUs at 38. As an aside I also like the art on the can. Kind of a spin off of Washington crossing the Delaware - but in all beach otfits.

S: [2.50] Funky yeast. Heavy wet wheat. Earth tones.

T: [3.50] The front of the palate is Belgian yeast/wheat. But the mid palate transforms to something different (better). It has a nice citrus flavor. The finish is a combination of both flavors.

M: [3.75] It is on the carbonated side of things. The overall feel is decent - not too watery.

O: [3.25] I think this would be a decent beer on a dock or a beach. It seems a little out of place on a 7 degree day in Buffalo. The citrus flavor really livens up what I thought would be a big mouthful of Belgian wheat and yeast. I would drink this again just to say I have a "go to" Saison.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sneak Attack Saison from 21st Amendment Brewery