Jever Pilsener

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Jever PilsenerJever Pilsener
Notes: Hardly any other premium beer has remained as true to itself as Jever. For 170 years now, Jever has been cultivating its own Frisian-bitter taste.
The special mix of the best brewing water and high-quality hops makes our Jever so Frisian-tart and refreshing at the same time!
View: Beers
Reviews: 362 | Ratings: 801 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
morimech from Minnesota

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16oz can with a best by date of 10-21-21.
Straw color with just a hint of haze. Big soapy head that had excellent retention. Aroma of grass and lemon with some hint of grain. Flavor is a lot weaker than American versions of German pilsners. Mild bitterness and hop flavors of grass and pepper. Definitely taste the German pilsner malt that is dry and cereal flavored. Light body and appropriately carbonated makes this beer extremely easy to drink and refreshing. Not the greatest German import but this is also not the freshest one I have had.

Apr 25, 2021
jonphisher from New Jersey

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoy this beer, a lot. It pours. Beautiful crystal clear lighter side of straw color. It has a really nice head and very good retention, there is also some nice lacing.

Aroma is clean, grassy, earthy, and a little bit of fresh bread. The taste is a little lemon/lime sprite like followed by earthy hops.

Mouthfeel is so crips and clean with a really solid and pleasant bitterness. It is really really enjoyable, it also finishes clean and dry.

Overall thIs is a really really good beer. It is incredibly hoppy and yet insanely drinkable and clean. It begs to be sipped again and again and it is hard to resist. I have really enjoyed buying beer lately ever since I found it locally. A super enjoyable beer.

Oct 29, 2020
JRybacki from Pennsylvania

4.08/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16oz can.
Strong golden color and dense two-finger head with good lacing. Notes of citrus and bread in the aroma. The real pleasure is the taste and mouth feel- bright tasting and hoppy and simple crisp, clean feel and finish. Overall, clean, crisp, hoppy pilsener with a nice mellowness afterwards. This is what all the american microbreweries are striving for with a fair amount of success. But there is nothing like going back to the 'beginning' and finding out what a simple pilsener beer can be. Beautiful.

Oct 09, 2020
gatornation from Minnesota

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a very nice white head. Smell is citrus,lemon bread and grain. Taste has a floral hop bite with lemon dough biscuit malts ,some grassy herbal spice in finish. A crisp mouth feel very quenchable and quite good.

Sep 04, 2020
Pivopijak from Washington

3.96/5  rDev +9.7%

draught
Nearly perfectly clear light golden straw color. Thick, dry, very cratered, long lasting head. Good herbal malty aroma with a bit of the noble hops present. Good and ample initial hop bite with the balanced malt backbone, coming in soon after. The herbal/floral noble hop bite lingers quite awhile after the taste.

Jul 17, 2020
FBarber from Illinois

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Unfortunately immediately upon cracking the beer I can smell a strong skunked aroma so that isn't all that promising ...

Pours a crystal clear light golden color. Thin two finger white head dissipates pretty quickly leaving a very thin layer of white bubbles on top of the beer. Spotty white lacing is left behind on the glass. Aroma does have some skunky notes but underneath that there are some sweet malty notes with a breadiness that does have a slight, ever so slight, toasted quality to it. Hops come through on the nose with some lemon and grassy notes.

Taste has a mild skunkiness to it that Im just going to push through. Underneath that I get some cracker malts with a slight toasted note to it. The hops are bitter with strong grassy and slight citrusy notes. Hops have that old somewhat stringent bitterness to it. I could see this being quite good when fresh, but clearly at almost 9 months old, its taken a hard downward turn.

Jun 01, 2020
Snowcrash000 from Germany

3.67/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, pale golden coloration with a medium, fluffy head and some carbonation bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass. Smells of rather soft, biscuity, doughy malt and faint floral, grassy hops. Taste is a good balance of soft, biscuity/doughy, slightly grainy malt and quite floral and somewhat grassy hops, with just a hint of herbal accents and spice. Finishes rather dry, with a medium bitterness and some floral, grassy hops and white pepper lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth, effervescent mouthfeel with a medium body and strong carbonation.

A decent Pils that starts out with soft and just slightly sweet malts on the palate, which quickly get balanced out by some rather floral and grassy hops, leading to a rather dry and bitter finish. Overall, it's quite crisp and dry, but just way too floral for my personal taste, although I do like those mild peppery accents in the aftertaste.

May 30, 2020
hopsputin from New Jersey

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%

a: super clear straw yellow color with a 1 finger white head that fades to a film around the sides of the glass

s: lemongrass, grains, herbal hops, grass. nice bready malty backbone with a hint of sweetness

t: sweet grains and a substantial herbal hop bitterness. a hint of sweet citrus and hay. finish is clean with that herbal hop bitterness bite

m: medium mouthfeel with high carbonation

o: very nice Pilsner right here. it has a nice hop bite to it, and is extremely refreshing. not too complex, but taste is good

May 24, 2020
ncvillain from North Carolina

4.44/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll admit that I've tried lots of lawnmower beer recently, including michelob lager, bud, all the american macro stuff, and even the becks that isn't brewed in Germany. All of it panther piss - with a special place reserved for the becks made in the USA - the packaging still makes you think its a German beer (that is lower than whale shit!!!).
I digress...11.2 oz bottle of Jever poured in pils glass from fonta flora (one of my local breweries).
L=not overly impressive, looks like a pilsner, very light gold, mine is just a slight bit cloudy. I expected it to be crystal clear.
S=Again, not overly impressive, gives off only a hint of the hoppy bitterness that's coming.
T=This is where the beer shines. This tastes like a German pils, with a delightful bite at the end.
O=The look and aroma suggested that I'd just be trying another standard pils, but this beer has a delicious bite in the tail. I'd have to say it is a delicious pils. A bit pricey for lawnmower beer, but after a hot day in the yard, this is what I want to drink, and I'm willing to pay for it.
*Still waiting for an american craft pils that gets the hop bitterness/bite correct on this beer style. Jever has it nailed on.

May 15, 2020
JamFuel from Sweden

Pours crystal clear yllow wih fine, soapy head.

Smell is clean and bready with notes of crackers, citrus and knäckebröd, along with some floral hints.

Taste is very clean and quite floral. Notes of citrus, knäckebröd and crackers, and a fairly strong, hoppy bitterness. The bitterness lingers for quite a while.

Mouthfeel is medim, well carbonated.

Overall, a very clean, solid pilsner. Maybe not super exciting, but very well made.

May 12, 2020
Tony787 from Canada (ON)

4.08/5  rDev +13%

Very nice and crisp taste with a dry finish.
Bought can at lcbo poured into pilsner glass kinda like a syrup ot was thick with 2 finger head.
Very enjoyable and easy drinking
Will definitely buy it again.
cheers

Mar 11, 2020
MonDak_Joe1953 from Minnesota

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330ml green bottle. Dates on label "P:15.04.2019 E:15.07.2020'.
Straw colored body, with mostly clear clarity. One finger of white head upon pouring, which hung on as a thin cap and ring. Only a few spots here and there of lacing.
Aroma of biscuit malts and grassy hops. Also expresses the skunk.
Taste is slightly bitter from start to finish, with cracker malts and grassy hops. Dry finish.
Thinner mouth feel. Excellent carbonation.
Tasty presentation of hops and malts. Seems clean and crisp, with the bitter note.

Jan 28, 2020
damndirtyape from Ohio

3.86/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle served in a Bitburger Rastel 0.2l Pokal glass. Packaged on 02.07.2019. Enjoy by 02.10.2020.

Appearance: Clear, bright golden yellow with a persistent thick white head and lots of lacing. Great looking beer.

Smell: Lots of noble hops, a bit of green apple, and a hint of skunkiness that you would expect with a green glass beer.

Taste: Lots of noble hop bitterness from start to finish with a bit of malt (sometimes bready, sometimes cracker-like) in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Sticky on the teeth, dry finish. Good carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: Definitely more hoppy for for a pilsner with lots of bitterness involved. Easily drinkable and went well with corn tortilla bean & cheese tacos. I would not mind having a full 0.5L of this beer. A very well crafted German Pilsner.

Dec 08, 2019
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really beat myself to s**t with all of those Stouts following NBS (Week 746) & as a result, I find myself on a Lager kick for the time being. What the hey, it's all in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm)!

From the CAN: "Imported Premium Beer Brewed in Germany"; "German Quality, Jever Refinement"; "Crisp Bitterness, Hoppy Flavour, Dry Finish."; "Brewed in strict accordance with the 'German Purity Law'."

What a find! I have drank Jever Pilsener many times, but I have never seen it CANned before now. Usually, it comes in Bottles, although I've had it on draught a couple/few times.

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent & following that with a gentle C-Line Glug. I was rewarded with the unbidden creation of just better than two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. This roused The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Mammon & Midas from last night's stupor to come into the kitchen & join me for a taste. Nose was magnificently malty, very bready & biscuity with a pleasant Noble hop character of grass, hay & alfalfa. I CANnot understand the relatively low rating numbers since this is like the poster child for the style! Mouthfeel was kinda weak, not exactly thin & watery, but close. Oh well. The taste had a honey-like quality from the malt that was balanced nicely by the sharpness of the hops. It reminded me of Summers at my maternal grandparents, lying in the freshly-mown grass as the nearby working farm worked on their crops while my grandmother baked biscuits for supper. leaving them to cool on the windowsill while I read comic books. Sigh. Finish was absolutely dry! It was a pleasant dryness, though, not the gasping dryness that causes me to reach for my asthma inhaler. Now that I know that it exists in CANs, it becomes a good CANdidate for my beach-bound cooler this Summer … if I CAN just remember where I scored it in the first place. 8=( YMMV.

Jun 14, 2019
Greywulfken from New York

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Lighter, sharper, more biscuit grain and citrus hop than similar pils, light and refreshing, but not particularly compelling... Has that "beery" aftertaste you get from some mass-produced brews, but still drinks easy enough; harmless but uninspiring...

May 27, 2019
SABERG from Massachusetts

3.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bottle dated E-20-6-2019 into the test glass
A - Clear, lemon drop colored, steady carbonation feeds a quick to exit white cap
S - Light struck, warm biscuit, with a nice grassy hop kiss
T - A touch of sulfur starts things off, not to strong, then the nice malts come by in semi sweet waves, a touch of bitterness strikes a very nice balance
M - Dances on the palate, light in body, crisp and a bit prickly . Very nice aspect to this offering
O - I will look for a fresher sample, seems the best elements of this one are past due.

May 14, 2019
jzeilinger from Pennsylvania

3.67/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Bright gold pour that's crystal clear and dense thin white lacing.

A - Earthy spicy citrus with some lemon.

T - Grainy honey cracker malt with some lemon earthiness and light spiciness.

M - Medium body and crackers dry on the palate.

O - Nice spiciness and very crisp.

Apr 21, 2019
RaulMondesi from California

3.46/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Damn. Not too fond of this one. Thing is hella sweet like my grandmama pinching my cheek in public circa ‘94. That being said, it’s still clean like the the street sweeper that does your place every Thursday.

Not my favorite, but for the time being it will do the trick.

Mar 24, 2019
polloenfuego from Canada (NB)

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't believe I hadn't tried this classic before now.

Look is clear straw gold with a very fluffy three fingers of head. Retention is surprisingly good.

Smell is grainy and sweet, as I would expect from a Pilsener.

Taste is where this one let me down. I found it a little too grainy, there is a nice bitter that joins the sweet from the malts.

Feel is light and fizzy, finish is bitter and grainy.

So this classic adds to my belief that Pilsener is not for me. I'm sure it is a fine beer, but the style is lost on me.

Jan 17, 2019
hursst from Virginia

I can't imagine a better Pilsener beer. I don't always want just floral hops flavor in my beer, sometimes I want the grainy, malty, bitterness that only a Pilsener can provide. This beer is crisp, bitter, flavorful, but very well balanced. Great summer beer, but I just bought 2 sixers here in late fall, still want that flavor yearround. I've been looking for a classic German-style Pilsener, and I found it.

Dec 08, 2018
FriedichVonostrowo from Brazil

4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The "pride of the North" and one of the best Pilseners of Germany! I lived for a year in Germany to visit my relatives in the early 1970s. I have relatives throughout Western Germany (my father's family are Prussian refugees) and at least some who live or used to live in Communist East Berlin. I didn't care for beer or Canadian ale at that time but learned to enjoy beer over there, This was my favourite Pils when I visited an aunt in Ostfriesland, they also had an Export which was also very good. An excellent example of a hoppy northern German Pils of which there are too few.
Pours a bright yellow with a thick white head which diminished rapidly but not fully; floral and bitter hops, malt, and grass medium-bodied and fresh. Nice hop bite and a dry finish! An excellent beer.
Although every time I visited another relative somewhere else in Germany I'd find another beer enjoyed! It is still one of my favourite Pilseners in Canada, far better than our own macro beers from Labatt, Molson or Sleeman although their Upper Canada Lager is still pretty good, Jever is even better than any of our own (Canadian) craft lagers. It truly is "Friesisch Herb!"!! And it is good far better than its better-known neighbour "Bremen"!
A great beer to enjoy with one of Dr. Oetker's pizza made here in London Ontario (Dr. Oetker owns Jever and several other good German breweries)

Oct 01, 2018
bankboy66 from New Jersey

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful pour into a pint glass yields a great fluffy head and clear gold color. Has something of a soapy smell....was expected more bread. Taste is a bit citrusy to me at first. Not the finish of other German pilsners I've had being a bit on the bitter side. Not bad.

Aug 04, 2018
VoxRationis from New York

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decanted from a 11.2 oz (330 ml) bottle into a Pilsener glass; best through 2019.
A: Pours a crystal clear, golden color with modest head formation, leading to a quarter inch, white head but limited retention or lacing.
S: Aromas bready with strong grassy and grainy notes.
T: Palate largely follows nose. Bitterness strong but not overwhelming. Light and generally very refreshing.
M: Light bodied with limited effervescence.
O: Neither the best not worst Pilsener that I have ever had. That said, probably bottom quartile.

Jul 12, 2018
REVZEB from Illinois

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Doesn't really do anything well, but not awful. Feels more like a czech pilsener in the body but has the flavoring of a german. Not much carbonation, and the taste is pretty bland. Smell is a little skunky. Meh

Jul 07, 2018
WesMantooth from Ohio

3.52/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle says
“P: 12.12.2017”
E: 12.03.2019”

I will assume this means packaged and expires? Seems like a really long time from now for a beer that’s almost 6 months old already.

Anyway, poured into a pilsner (sorry, pilsener) glass. It is a crystal clear light gold with tons of active / lively carbonation bubbling to the top non-stop. The bright white sudsy head eventually settles down.

It has a skunky Euro lager aroma that reminds me of Lowenbrau and St. Pauli Girl. Especially from the bottle. In the glass you get more light Club. Cracker like grain along with a floral smell.

Wow is this this beer bitter. Like Magnum hops, or something specifically for bitterness. Also has a metallic taste. After an adjustment period, the semi sweet grains come through like a buttermilk biscuit with a flowery, bordering on herbal hop flavor following.

A little bit spicy and prickly. Not as crisp as I would have guessed until the very end, then it finishes super dry. A lot of palate fatigue after drinking this one. I would have bet money it was an American version.

May 27, 2018