Jever Pilsener

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Jever PilsenerJever Pilsener
Notes:
Reviews: 349 | Ratings: 766
4.36/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really beat myself to s**t with all of those Stouts following NBS (Week 746) & as a result, I find myself on a Lager kick for the time being. What the hey, it's all in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm)!

From the CAN: "Imported Premium Beer Brewed in Germany"; "German Quality, Jever Refinement"; "Crisp Bitterness, Hoppy Flavour, Dry Finish."; "Brewed in strict accordance with the 'German Purity Law'."

What a find! I have drank Jever Pilsener many times, but I have never seen it CANned before now. Usually, it comes in Bottles, although I've had it on draught a couple/few times.

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent & following that with a gentle C-Line Glug. I was rewarded with the unbidden creation of just better than two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. This roused The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Mammon & Midas from last night's stupor to come into the kitchen & join me for a taste. Nose was magnificently malty, very bready & biscuity with a pleasant Noble hop character of grass, hay & alfalfa. I CANnot understand the relatively low rating numbers since this is like the poster child for the style! Mouthfeel was kinda weak, not exactly thin & watery, but close. Oh well. The taste had a honey-like quality from the malt that was balanced nicely by the sharpness of the hops. It reminded me of Summers at my maternal grandparents, lying in the freshly-mown grass as the nearby working farm worked on their crops while my grandmother baked biscuits for supper. leaving them to cool on the windowsill while I read comic books. Sigh. Finish was absolutely dry! It was a pleasant dryness, though, not the gasping dryness that causes me to reach for my asthma inhaler. Now that I know that it exists in CANs, it becomes a good CANdidate for my beach-bound cooler this Summer … if I CAN just remember where I scored it in the first place. 8=( YMMV.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Lighter, sharper, more biscuit grain and citrus hop than similar pils, light and refreshing, but not particularly compelling... Has that "beery" aftertaste you get from some mass-produced brews, but still drinks easy enough; harmless but uninspiring...

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a bottle dated E-20-6-2019 into the test glass
A - Clear, lemon drop colored, steady carbonation feeds a quick to exit white cap
S - Light struck, warm biscuit, with a nice grassy hop kiss
T - A touch of sulfur starts things off, not to strong, then the nice malts come by in semi sweet waves, a touch of bitterness strikes a very nice balance
M - Dances on the palate, light in body, crisp and a bit prickly . Very nice aspect to this offering
O - I will look for a fresher sample, seems the best elements of this one are past due.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Bright gold pour that's crystal clear and dense thin white lacing.

A - Earthy spicy citrus with some lemon.

T - Grainy honey cracker malt with some lemon earthiness and light spiciness.

M - Medium body and crackers dry on the palate.

O - Nice spiciness and very crisp.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Damn, not too fond of this one. Thing is hella sweet like my grandmama pinching my cheek in public circa ‘94. That said, it’s still clean like the the street sweeper that cleans your place every Thursday. Not my favorite, but for the time being it will do the trick.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't believe I hadn't tried this classic before now.

Look is clear straw gold with a very fluffy three fingers of head. Retention is surprisingly good.

Smell is grainy and sweet, as I would expect from a Pilsener.

Taste is where this one let me down. I found it a little too grainy, there is a nice bitter that joins the sweet from the malts.

Feel is light and fizzy, finish is bitter and grainy.

So this classic adds to my belief that Pilsener is not for me. I'm sure it is a fine beer, but the style is lost on me.

I can't imagine a better Pilsener beer. I don't always want just floral hops flavor in my beer, sometimes I want the grainy, malty, bitterness that only a Pilsener can provide. This beer is crisp, bitter, flavorful, but very well balanced. Great summer beer, but I just bought 2 sixers here in late fall, still want that flavor yearround. I've been looking for a classic German-style Pilsener, and I found it.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I lived for a year in Germany to visit my relative in the early 1970s. I have relatives throughout Western Germany and at least some who used to live in Communist East Berlin. I didn't care for beer or Canadian ale at that time but learned to enjoy it over there, This was my favourite Pils when I visited an aunt in Ostfriesland, they also had an Export which was also good.
Pours a bright yellow with a thick white head which diminished rapidly but not fully; floral and bitter hops, malt, and grass medium bodied and fresh. Nice hop bite! An excellent beer.
Although every time I visited another relative somewhere else in Germany I'd find another beer I liked!

3.12/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful pour into a pint glass yields a great fluffy head and clear gold color. Has something of a soapy smell....was expected more bread. Taste is a bit citrusy to me at first. Not the finish of other German pilsners I've had being a bit on the bitter side. Not bad.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decanted from a 11.2 oz (330 ml) bottle into a Pilsener glass; best through 2019.
A: Pours a crystal clear, golden color with modest head formation, leading to a quarter inch, white head but limited retention or lacing.
S: Aromas bready with strong grassy and grainy notes.
T: Palate largely follows nose. Bitterness strong but not overwhelming. Light and generally very refreshing.
M: Light bodied with limited effervescence.
O: Neither the best not worst Pilsener that I have ever had. That said, probably bottom quartile.

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Doesn't really do anything well, but not awful. Feels more like a czech pilsener in the body but has the flavoring of a german. Not much carbonation, and the taste is pretty bland. Smell is a little skunky. Meh

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle says
“P: 12.12.2017”
E: 12.03.2019”

I will assume this means packaged and expires? Seems like a really long time from now for a beer that’s almost 6 months old already.

Anyway, poured into a pilsner (sorry, pilsener) glass. It is a crystal clear light gold with tons of active / lively carbonation bubbling to the top non-stop. The bright white sudsy head eventually settles down.

It has a skunky Euro lager aroma that reminds me of Lowenbrau and St. Pauli Girl. Especially from the bottle. In the glass you get more light Club. Cracker like grain along with a floral smell.

Wow is this this beer bitter. Like Magnum hops, or something specifically for bitterness. Also has a metallic taste. After an adjustment period, the semi sweet grains come through like a buttermilk biscuit with a flowery, bordering on herbal hop flavor following.

A little bit spicy and prickly. Not as crisp as I would have guessed until the very end, then it finishes super dry. A lot of palate fatigue after drinking this one. I would have bet money it was an American version.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a light to medium golden amber with a one finger white head that dissipates to patches with good lacing. Aroma of biscuity pilsner malt, grassy hops, light skunk, lemon and a hint of caramel. Flavor is light, but biscuity malt, grassy hops a lightly medicinal herbal bitterness, hints of lemon and caramel. Finish has lingering faint hints of caramel and somewhat astringent grassy hops with a herbal nature. Medium bodied with light creaminess and sharp carbonation. One of the more distinctive pilsners I've had and with a higher hop bitterness level, more like a Czech style than a German one. I have mixed feelings about the medicinal herbalness of the hops, which has some notes familiar with herbal bitters apertifs. Although it was different, it made the finish more astringent than I'd like, perhaps due to a mild malt body. An interesting but somewhat unbalanced pilsner to my taste. The light skunkiness in the aroma was not that noticable in the taste, so this bottle may have been stored correctly.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L - pours a pale yellow with a 3 inch bubbly foam; dropped to 1 inch after a minute; very little lace
S - subtle - malty
T - starts with a malty sweetness, but finishes with a sharp bitterness; some spicy notes
F - good mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, very dry finish
O - good balance but a little tipped towards bitterness

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a crystal clear light golden color. With an aggressive pour the head was still only one finger, soapy and white. Retention was average at best and there are many sticky spots of lacing left on the glass.

Smell is very subtle. Green and herbal with a touch of spice and bread crust.

Taste is similar, but much more flavorful than the smell suggests. Grassy and herbal hops are most dominant, but held in check by bread crust and biscuit. The finish is moderately bitter.

Feel is light crisp and clean with moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall this is a good beer, but there are many better German pilsners out there. The last time I grabbed a 6pk it was skunked, so I waited to review until I got a good one.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look- Light straw, zero head

Smell- Grains and cracker smell, no malt. Very spicy and peppery smell

Taste- Crisp hoppy flavor. Herbs and light biscuit notes

Feel- High carbonation, with pleasant and light mouthfeel

Overall- Crisp and refreshing

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pils glass, as nature intended.
L: Crystal clear lots of carbonation. Great head retention, spotty lace.
S: Bit faint, sudsy, honey, graham cracker
T: Lighter malt notes, biscuit and soup cracker. Hops are much more present here, different from others in that they aren't peppery or spicy and are instead more green and vegetal. Finishes with a bitterness but its soft, not sharp
F: This is cheating. It shouldn't be this easy to drink a beer. If you want to win a chugging contest, this is the beer to do it with. Carbonation is very soft, mouthfeel is lighter than air. Goes back like you wouldn't believe
O: Pretty solid representation of the style. Definitely up there as one of the better pils I've had. Balance is key, this isn't some American pils with 16 different types of hops and a bite take your tongue off. This is a well rounded beer with a classy restraint.

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle. Dated 18.07.2017, so 3.5 months old? not sure

First time having this, you don't see it around that often. Enjoyable, but something tasted off. Symptom of the green bottle? Who knows. I prefer Bitburger, which is cheaper and comes in cans/brown bottles. No brainer.

Simply one of the best Pilsners, it has a strong hop taste, is very refreshing and gives no hangover. It is reminiscent of Czech pilsners which is a big plus. Lots of pints are watery but this is not one of those. I cannot understand how someone with love for Czech and German style pints cannot love this! If you like Urquell you'll like Jever too!

3.14/5  rDev -12.5%

This smells and seems quite light similar to Carlsberg but it has quite bitter aftertaste. Strange that while it could be a refreshing pilsener, the bitterness ruins it a bit. Not the worst though, mediocre nevertheless.

3.14/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a bottle to a mug
A - Clear gold with almost no head
S - Sweet malts, herbal hops
T - Nothing unexpected, some bitterness
M - Carbonation on the low side
O - A very classic pils

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: pours a clear straw gold (leaning toward yellow), with a two finger head
S: immediate dankness (green bottle, but honestly I like the aroma), a nice herbal hop profile and clean biscuity aroma
T: very german hop forward, with a clean bitterness and warm, subtly sweet biscuity tones and some toasty malt qualities.
M: light
O: a good, german hop forward pilsner, crisp, clean and pleasant

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Jever Pilsener.
4.9% alc. 500 ml can.

This is a German beer. Fluffy white head. The beer has a golden colour and there are lots of ascending bubbles.

The smell is white bread, white bread crust, biscuit, grain, and hops.

The taste is barley malt, hops, and there is a very slight fruity profile towards the finish - just a hint, really. The hops give a light to medium bitterness to the beer, which is very nice.

The beer is light to medium bodied and the finish is clean, crisp, and refreshing.

This is my first time trying this beer and I'd certainly recommend it if you enjoy Pilsener

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz pour on tap into shaker pint

A: thick creamy white head with good retention. Nice clear gold body with decent looking carbonation.

S: Floral hops hit the nose followed by some nice doughy malts.

T: not bad nice doughy bready malts some light spicy hops finishes a touch bitter.

M: light crisp clean

O: this is an ok Pilsner nothing really stands out about it though.

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served on-tap to me in a pint glass, this beer draws a clear, medium golem color with a nice white head that's 1/2 of an inch thick when first poured that settles eventually to nothing at all. Practically no trace of foam at all, maybe just a slight trace. Some bready, just slightly toasted malts make up the smell and not much of anything else and that's okay. Perhaps a bit of wheat here. The tarts is pretty much the same, with a just slightly toasted, bready, biscuity malt flavor with a bit of wheat and a hint of peppery spice that's rounded and balanced out with a nice herbal, floral hop bitterness. Has a crisp, yet also smooth, medium bodies mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a clean finish. Easy to drink in a good way. Spot on for the style I'd say. Worth a try indeed.

Eric